why did he do away with these scenes???

virumor

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You should send an e-mail to PJ to ask him why he left out so many stuff from the books and put in so many changes and why he violated the characters, blablablablabla.

Only PJ knows, we can only speculate why our beloved Kiwi did what he did. It doesn't really matter, actually, because the books are impossible to film if you'd follow them to the letter.

Anyway, i think PJ made the adaptation we are all obsessed about because he wanted to make a movie which even tolkien newbies would appreciate, and also a movie which pretty much every member of the family (yes, even Maggie) would be able to watch without too many question marks.

So he put a lot of stuff of the books out and put in a lot of plot/character changes because otherwise ppl wouldn't really get what was happening in the movie. So this is possibly partly the reason why Tom Bombadil isn't in the movies, because most viewers wouldn't get it.

A book which is as complex as LOTR cannot be filmed to the letter, covering every single detail or touching every theme of it. And if someone would try to film it to the letter, we wouldn't have a movie, but a LOTR mini-series. (like with Dune)

PJ just selected from the books what he thought was important, and converted it into a contemporary action/adventure movie for the entire family.

Whether we agree with PJ's adaptation or not, is our call and doesn't really matter. It is a fact that PJ and his crew put an awful lot of work into it and they really did their best to show their vision of JRRT's work. We have to respect that anyhow, whether we like or dislike the movies.

So, i think Tom Bombadil and other stuff was put out because it wouldn't make sense to Tolkien newbies. Good thinking, since it doesn't even make sense to most Tolkienites.

nn[Edited on 7/12/2003 by virumor]
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

HobbitHomie05

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't saying I disliked the movies or peter's work at all. I am in love with the movies that I could watch them over and over for the rest of my life!!!! I think peter did fabulous at tackling this hard of a project. Your reply helped with the Tom Bombadil part. But I'm still just so confused why he skipped the short Prancing Pony parts!!!!???? And your right virumor that no one but peter jackson knows why, but I like to hear everyones thoughts.
:D thanks :D nn[Edited on 6/12/2003 by HobbitHomie05]

grondmaster

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But I'm still just so confused why he skipped the short Prancing Pony parts!!!!????
HobbitHomie05: It is all a matter of time. PJ could only shoe-horn so much into the three hour theatre movie; the extra half-hour added to the Extended DVD still couldn't contain the missing parts.

To do it justice would have taken an additional three hours if not six, just as Virumor has said, it would have been a TV mini-series. In reality, each of the three volumes would have required about six hours to do almost verbatim, and still there would have been questions left unanswered.

I think PJ did the best he could with the time he had available.
'Share and enjoy'

HobbitHomie05

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

yah that's true! I'm getting the extended copy for christmas (don't ask how I know) so I'll be able to check a few of the additional scenes he cut out. Peter Jackson and the actors did do an outstanding job. Plus they did it back to back so it took foreva!!!!!!!! :smoke: they probably practically bacame their character!!!

Isildur

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think PJ knew he never had enough time to do Bombadil justice, and to be fair i can understand him leaving Tom out, though brilliant in the books it doesn't push the movie/story on really.

HobbitHomie05

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

yah I've givin up on defending tommie boy,but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???????????? :sad: :( :sad: :( :sad: :( :sad: :( :sad: WhY tHe PrAnCiNg PoNy ScEnCeS?????????????? no one needs to answer that I'm just pushing out my anger with wierd typing ways!!

Airecristiel

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, he did put the Old Man Willow in TTT extended version, but that was with Pippin and Merry in Fangorn Forest, and it just crushed my heart that he put it in the completely wrong scene. I mean, if he left Tom Bombadil out, then let's not put Old Man Willow in Fangorn, just let it be, man.
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
/Oscar Wilde

grondmaster

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I mean, if he left Tom Bombadil out, then let's not put Old Man Willow in Fangorn, just let it be, man.
Ah, but the point of putting Old Man Willow in Fangorn Forest was to show us by example of what the huorns did to all those disappearing Orcs at the end of the Battle of Helm's Deep. The Orcs didn't have Tom Bombadil, nor Treebeard even, to save their hash and so they got changed to worm food.
'Share and enjoy'

HobbitHomie05

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

so PJ really never read the book??? I'm amazed that he did this if he hasn't even read the book!!! Shame on you PJ!!! :mad: Well he did a pretty good job though, not the best but good enough for me!!! ;)

Really Airecristiel?? Old Man Willow is in the TTT extended edition?? Geez, he really screwed up on a few things, he really should have got some help from the actors who have read the book

HobbitHomie05

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grondmaster, could you explain that a little more clearer?? :D If you have ever talked to me, you'd know that I need things to be clear!!! Thanks if you may.

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”