Music of LOTR Movies

cardthruil

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#1 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:14 am

I really enjoyed the music from the movies and I thought it was very cool that Howard Shore recieved an award for his work. I wanted to shed some light for, anybody who missed it that really cares or knows what I am talking about. The music that was used for that battle scenes was in 5/8. I thought this was really cool and was a nice change Mr. 4/4.

Sorry if I bored anyone. haha

anilorak

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#2 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:40 am

I know what you mean. I really enjoyed the up-tempo also.

Howard Shore is a genious! There is no arguments involved. He created the largest and most complex epic score ever written.

I know what you might think, there were other epics, and they had great music too.

You have to think about the individual songs. Before LOTR, most movies had a couple of songs, but mainly one theme repeated in different ways.

A great example of this is Pirates of the Carribean. Great music, but it is one song presented differently various times.

What is great about the score in LOTR, it has so many different songs, carefully crafted to match certain moods, characters, emotians, and locations. I have never seen anything like it.

Shore definately deserves every one of the awards he was nominated for!
iSaAc M.d.

cardthruil

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#3 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:30 pm

Yes,
While I do enjoy theme, development, and recapitulation, which how a lot of classical music is written, and is how these other movie's scores have been written, Howard Shore did use many different themes. He still went back to many as you will note with the battle theme and the Theme from the shire.
However, when I mentioned that the battle theme was in 5/8 I did not mean the tempo. This is actually a time signature marking. I thought it was interesting because being as it is not a "normal" time signature he did a great job being discreat about. You know, so it didn't "feel" weird. :D.

Arwen_RingBearer

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#4 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:35 am

You say sorry if i bored anyone? Have you read my old post on music?!?!?!?!!? It was like 1500 words! I think everyone enjoyed reading your post, and I am very glad someone else noticed how beutiful the music is!

Namarie,
Arwen
Estel,
Elen sila lumenn omentilmo,
Cormamin niuve tenna' ta elea lle au',
Amin mela lle.
Arenel Arwen

bugyfeanor

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#5 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:52 pm

I've said it once, twice... and I'll keep on saying it: THE MUSIC WAS JUST SUPERB!!!!!
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

Vee

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#6 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:23 am

There is a particular piece which occurs a few times - I think it is first used in The Flight to the Ford. At the beginning of the track is the most beautiful combination of voices and the only way I can explain it is the voices harmonise and then warble down a couple of notes........ a sort of trickle, water flowing over rocks type sound......... I get goosebumps every time I hear it.

Tyrhael

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#7 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:18 am

Mmm, yes, I love that part as well. I think it's a fragment of the Sindarin translation of a selection from the Lay of Leithian:

Tinúviel elvanui, Elleth alfirin edhelhael, O hon ring finnil fuinui, A renc gelebrin thiliol...

Tinúviel the elven-fair, Immortal maiden elven-wise, About him cast her shadowy hair, And arms like silver glimmering...

:D

HobbitHomie05

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#8 » Sun May 23, 2004 10:16 am

whenever i listen to The Breaking of the Fellowship it makes me want to cry!! at the end of it I think it is cool when it goes bump bum bum bum bump bum bum bum with the drums because it goes perfectly with aragorn legolas and gimli cause it is like they are running!! it sounds like their footsteps!!! I thought that was clever!

Etharion

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#9 » Sun May 23, 2004 2:19 pm

Just this...Its great!!!

evenstar

Music of LOTR Movies

Post#10 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:39 pm

I LOVE the music in the fotr! I bought the CD and love the Rivendell music and the Lothlorien music. I think Howard Shore did a great job. The music really hits u. :wiggle:

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”