If You Could Change One Thing

Elfstone

Post#1 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:19 pm

Okay people (those that may be interested), since the LotR movies are winding down, and there is really nothing left to look forward to save the SEE of RotK, and most likely The Hobbit several years down the road, I thought it would be interesting to sort of go back and take a look at the films again.

Logically to me, FotR is the best place to start. For me, out of all three films, FotR is the one with the least amount of problems (especially the SEE), and as of right now, is the one I like the best (SEE), at least until the SEE of RotK comes out (then we’ll see). FotR was the one that from a film making perspective was really designed to stand on its own, and draw the audience in.

So I was wondering, if you could change one thing about the film FotR, what would that one thing be?

I think for me, if I could change one thing, it would have to be including Glorfindel in the film with his proper parts from the book (specifically at the Ford).

I know we had a similar thread a while back when FotR first came out, but again, the question is specifically, if you could change only one thing about the film FotR what would it be?

I’m interested to hear what some others think.
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Tyrhael

Post#2 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:59 pm

ONE Thing?? Ok, seriously:

**A biggie for me would be not introducing the new form of Sauron as a huge, floating, electric eyeball.

Also, I would have liked to see Gandalf fighting the Nazgûl upon Weathertop, as was discussed by flashback in the book. But that wasn't really a big one for me.

Additionally, Aragorn should have been carrying the Shards of Narsil around with him, and they should have been reforged as Andúril before they left Rivendell.

I really would have liked to see the Fellowship fighting wargs in Hollin (not the TTT-type wargs, though....)

It also would have been nice to see a slightly er... different way of 'transforming' Galadriel. More subtle.

And Frodo should have retained some of his book-ish traits; i.e. not falling over on Weathertop (there was no Amon Sûl fight with the Hobbits in the book; it was in a little dell on the western side). He also should have been alone on Asfaloth going through the Ford of Bruinen, and should have had some defiant lines like he had in the book.

Just some of my thoughts,

-Arco.

grondmaster

Post#3 » Sat May 01, 2004 3:57 pm

:orchuh: That certainly is a lot of only ones, Arco. :elfbiggrin:

I would like to see the entire Tom Bombadil section: his rescue of the hobbits from Old Man Willow, through their nightly discussions with Tom, and culminating in their rescue from the Barrow-wight.

'Share and enjoy'

Amarië

Post#4 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:57 am

I'd like to see the Elrond/Aragorn relationship the way it was in the book. I can accept Aragorn being different, but I didn't like how they made Elrond a grumpy, get-your-hands-of-my-daughter, humans-suck, over-protective father. Was happy to see the real Elrond in ROTK, giving Aragorn the sword and some good advise. Better late than never I suppose. :elfwink:
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

ainulindhe

Post#5 » Mon May 03, 2004 1:30 am

Not to be unoriginal,but I have to agree with Grondy about Tom Bombadil, and especially Goldberry and their relationship with each other, and also on the Old Forest. And Old Man Willow would have proved a great foe(cinematically) for old Tom,with all the action PJ so desired to impart-he should have looked harder at the actual text of the book for inspiration,it would seem! Also the scene with the group of travellers at the very same statues of the trolls Bilbo vanquished should have played a tiny bit more significance,but I suppose we do not live in a perfect world! :shakehead:

rednell

Post#6 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:34 am

I would have liked to see Nob inadvertantly rescuing Merry from his kidnappers. What a tense scene that would have been, 2 shadowy figures lifting and unconcious Merry and Nob shouting and all of a sudden, Merry lying alone on the roadside.

Elfstone

Post#7 » Tue May 04, 2004 12:48 pm

Interesting responses so far everyone, and even more interesting that we all basically (for the most part) had something different in mind for the one thing we could change. I guess if we all could actually change one thing, then the film would be perfect wouldn’t it?
:elfwink:

Anyway, I agree with all the things everyone has mentioned so far, I would have liked to see the same things too, and in Amarie’s case, I agree that I didn’t care for the way Elrond’s character was portrayed in the film (did like Hugo in the part though) either.

BTW Ama, I like your new avatar! :orcthumbs:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Amarië

Post#8 » Tue May 04, 2004 1:45 pm

Thank you Elfy! She won't give us any copyright troubles, 'cause I made her all by myself! :orcgin:

I really liked Hugo-Elrond when Frodo is waking up, and he look all.. elf-like! :D
But Hugo has that frown making him look angry all the time. Too bad, he was a real cutie without the frown, but I guess it would be like us having to walk around with our eyebrows raised all day if he was suppose to look like that all through the movie.
"Don't complain under the stars

about the lack of bright spots in you life."

Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

valedhelgwath

Post#9 » Tue May 04, 2004 3:48 pm

In a way I have always seen the Tom Bombadil story as a side avenue from the main storyline, so wasn't too disappointed when it was omitted from the movie. Saying that I would have liked to have seen the Barrow Downs and a wight. That would have been quite a tense scene with the hobbits becoming lost in the mist, their only landmarks being the occasional burial mound rising from the ground.

Although seeing the Barrow Downs would have been top of my wish list if I could choose one change, I think my biggest disappointment was actually the absence of Glorfindel. I actually resented Arwen stealing that role from him.

Elfstone

Post#10 » Tue May 11, 2004 3:13 pm

if I could choose one change, I think my biggest disappointment was actually the absence of Glorfindel. I actually resented Arwen stealing that role from him.

Why am I not surprised to see that if we both could change just one thing, that it would be including Glorfindel parts in FotR.

Sometimes we think so a like when it comes to all things Tolkien (along with other things) Val that it’s scary!
:superscared:

In a good way though! :elfwink:

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”