13 Nominations...are you optomistic?

oldfandave

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well I'm pulling hard for Best Picture but I definitely don't expect it. Fortunately, Beautiful Mind is starting to get the press that it's a shoo-in, and the senile members of the Academy seem to have an aversion to going along once that kind of thing gets started. But I think PJ has a real good shot at Best Director. He's gotten some press for what many critics think is a superhuman effort, what with the marathon shoot, the special challenges of bringing Tolkien to the screen, etc. And I expect lots of tech awards. McKellen--why not? As good a chance as any of the others.

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Fantasy ``The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring,'' about an epic battle for world domination among wizards and sorcerers, earned 13 Oscar nominations, including best picture, on Tuesday, putting it ahead of the pack in the race for Hollywood's highest film honors, the Academy Awards.

I just submitted the whole article for the main board. :cool:[Edited on 14/2/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I reckon Best Director, and maybe effects, but not screenplay adaptation (I will scream if it gets that)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

swampfaye

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think either best picture *or* best director (I'm thinking they'll want to give Ron Howard best director, but not both director and picture, so the other will go to LOTR). If it does get either of those very big awards, it will be re released and hyped in the papers and make lots more money!

grondmaster

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In my county, we still have eight screenings being offered daily.

Oh, and a little light on the subject. If you will remember last summer and fall, that everyone was bemoaning the dearth of good movies in 2001. The reason we are doing so well is a non-plethora of competition. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

swampfaye

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eight screenings? Hmmm... oh gosh... we only have 2 per theater in surround sound and stadium seating... and we only have about 35 theaters (locally, I suppose you could travel 30 minutes more to find maybe 15 more) to pick from! What will we do? [Edited on 16/2/2002 by swampfaye]

chikakat

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

what 13 things did FotR get nominated for?

I kind of hope Beautiful Mind wins best picture...I really liked that movie...I mean, FotR was great and all, but I really thought BM was better...FotR can win everything else, though.

Jehanne

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

(drumroll please...) LOTR's 13 nominations are...

Best Picture
Best Director (Peter Jackson)
Best Supporting Actor (Ian McKellan)
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Film Editing
Best Cinematography
Best Original Score
Best Original Song ("May It Be"- Enya)
Best Art/ Set Direction
Best Visual Effects
Best Costume Design
Best Makeup
Best Sound

Allyssa

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Best Adapted Screenplay? No way!!!!

Remember Elrond *shakes head in disbelief.
"May the Angels Guide"

swampfaye

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You think there was a *better* adapted screenplay there in the mix? It's not about weather you liked it or not, it's about weather it was teh best against all it's peers.

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”