gimli's elvish insult

arvedui

gimli's elvish insult

Post#1 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:27 pm

In the extended edition of the fellowship, when they are trying to enter Lorien, what does Gimli say in elvish to Haldir that is so insulting. After Gimli says that Aragorn replies with "Now that was not so smart" or something like that. So does anyone know what Gimli says?

rhapsody

gimli's elvish insult

Post#2 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:23 am

Gimli: "So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!"
Haldir: "We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days."
Gimli: "And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" (I spit upon your grave!)
Aragorn: "That was not so courteous."

What a temper..

floyd_n_milan

gimli's elvish insult

Post#3 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:06 am

Gimli: "So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!"
Haldir: "We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days."
Gimli: "And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" (I spit upon your grave!)
Aragorn: "That was not so courteous."

Where did you get that translation Rhapsody?

rhapsody

gimli's elvish insult

Post#4 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:19 am

Elvish.org is such a nice site. Every time I Elvish... I think of Elvis Presley.

The real fast shortcut ... here ya go.

arvedui

gimli's elvish insult

Post#5 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:54 pm

Thanks man!

rhapsody

gimli's elvish insult

Post#6 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:56 am

Man???

I need to get my other Avatar back. Or to quote Eowyn: "I am no man!!"

I am really a woman. I am.

terrijayne

gimli's elvish insult

Post#7 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:03 am

I too thank you Rhapsody and Floyd for answering that question. I wondered what Gimli had said that offended Haldir , but didn't know where to look it up. I don't remember that scene from the book either, but then again I haven't read it for about a year now. I'm surprised Haldir didn't knock Gimli flat for such an insult, but perhaps that would have been beneath his dignity as an elf.

grondmaster

gimli's elvish insult

Post#8 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:25 pm

Gimi's insult to Haldir in fact, didn't occurr in the book. He only spoke when it became blindfold time and he was more concerned about his honor not being accepted, than putting down Elfkind.

I think Arvedui's "Thanks man!" was more in the neutral generic "Mankind" mode rather than the gender specific, but I guess what matters is how it was taken, so I'll butt out now. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

rhapsody

gimli's elvish insult

Post#9 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:00 pm

LOL That was ok, I just had a perfect excuse to quote Eowyn. Although many see me as a man, but that has more to do with the nick. :Fatsanta:

Vee

gimli's elvish insult

Post#10 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 pm

I think Rhapsody is a very feminine nick, like Melody.

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”