Gollum & Moria

Thorin Oakenshield

Gollum & Moria

Post#1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:01 am

i've never understood something about the fellow ship in moria.

apparently gollum started to track the member from there. but how did he get out when the bridge collapsed after boromir and aragorn?
The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

Lord Of All

Gollum & Moria

Post#2 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:20 am

I have wondered this myself...

Loss

Gollum & Moria

Post#3 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 am

I suppose that the term "where there's a will, there's a way....." would apply here. I would just assume that Gollum would have had such obsession that he could have frantically ran to find some other route. There were contraptions of old scattered around Moria (I assume that there were some of them around the route the fellowship taken) so he could have climbed around and found a way, although he would have gotten very far behind the fellowship, but he would have "tracked" them. Plus Gollum had survived the deep caves of The Misty Mountains and knew how to get around such dark places with ease, he more than likely used it within Moria. Gandalf knew that Gollum would have survived and found his way out, he still had a part to play after......

virumor

Gollum & Moria

Post#4 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:48 pm

Gollum followed the beacon of the Ring, which would lead him out of any labyrinth in Arda.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

Gollum & Moria

Post#5 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:27 pm

Just a thought: Gollum showed he could scale rock walls like a spider in the Emyn Muil while following Frodo, Sam, and the Ring. Probably in Moria he scaled a wall near the chasm, crossed the ceiling, and down the wall on the other side of the chasm. If the chasm left the room via an arched opening, he wouldn't even have had to use the ceiling, just continued on the wall above the opening.
'Share and enjoy'

Lord Of All

Gollum & Moria

Post#6 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:30 pm

That is what I was thinking. Perhaps the miserble rat could cling onto the cragy walls of Moria and climb across that way.

Thorin Oakenshield

Gollum & Moria

Post#7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:18 pm

perhaps you're right about he spider way but elesssar i don't thing there was another way except the bridge. if you remember the chapter you will see that the bridge was described as "an ancient defence of the dwarves aginst any enemy who might win the first hall" and i don't think that the dwarves would make another way to counter there own defence.

Lord Of All

Gollum & Moria

Post#8 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 am

I think Thorin is right about there being multiple gates:

"Well, well! ' said the wizard. `The passage is blocked behind us now and [u]there is only one[/u] way out – on the other side of the mountains."

"I cannot say,' answered Gandalf. 'It depends on many chances. But going straight, without mishap or losing our way, we shall take three or four marches, I expect. It cannot be less than forty miles from [u]West-door to East-gate[/u] in a direct line, and the road may wind much."

These seem to indicate only two gates for the whole of Moria.

virumor

Gollum & Moria

Post#9 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:05 am

perhaps you're right about he spider way but elesssar i don't thing there was another way except the bridge. if you remember the chapter you will see that the bridge was described as "an ancient defence of the dwarves aginst any enemy who might win the first hall" and i don't think that the dwarves would make another way to counter there own defence.

Gandalf found another way out, didn't he? Though it was rather a transdimensional backway.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Thorin Oakenshield

Gollum & Moria

Post#10 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:36 am

yeah but weren't they at thet time in the habitable parts of moria and much higher than the gates level?

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”