why doesn't sauron disapear

ProgHead777

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome Ceocan! And that is a good question! Sauron is a Maia spirit and apparently the ring does not have the invisibility effect on Maia, only on 'lesser' creatures. That's why Tom Bombadil doesn't disappear when he puts the ring on in the book, because he is Maia as well. It's reasonable to assume that if Gandalf had worn the ring, he would not have become invisible either since he too is Maia. Any other theories?
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No, your idea holds water for me, Prog; I think you have got it right. :)

Of course as this is in the movie section and Tom Bombadil wasn't, that may be confusing to the movie goers who haven't yet read the books. I guess they really ought to do the reading for even more enjoyment. :) nn[Edited on 12/8/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

Alqua

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That Maia-theory could work (if we assume that Tom Bombadil really was a Maia), but I always thought it was simply because Sauron was The Lord of The Ring, and therefor he controlled the Ring and not the other way around. nn[Edited on 12/8/2002 by Alqua]

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome Alqua :D

I agree with Alqua on this one. I assumed that Frodo and Bilbo disappeared due to their lack of control over the rings power, while Sauron dominated the ring and Tom could control it due to the fact that he seemed to know pretty much everything else :cool:

Galadhril

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I too agree with the notion that Sauron had power over the ring whilst the others (Bilbo, Frodo, Samwise, etc) didn't.
I have also always found it difficult to classify Tom Bombadill according to the known 'races', and have therefore always thought of him as being completely different to any type mentioned. Is there a reference to Tom being a Maia? It is probably the only known race that would fit, though my impression from comments that he made about himself and also that Gandalf (I think) made is that he is very different to all else.
A question: If my memory serves me correctly and Gandalf was questioned about Tom, would not Gandalf (being a Maia) know that Tom was?

ProgHead777

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome Alqua and Galadhril! :D I don't think there are any specific references to Tom being Maiar in any of Tolkiens writings. But then again, I haven't read all of Tolkiens writings! However, there is one thing that suggests to me that he is. The elves called Tom 'Irwain Ben-adar' which I believe means 'old without a father' which suggests demi-god like or angelic roots. :angel: Since we know Tom is not Valar, that only leaves Maia. I suppose he could be something else entirely, but one would think Tolkien would have metioned such a powerful being in The Silmarillion. I guess Tom was intentionally left a mystery, but what good's a mystery without someone to wonder at it? ;)

I am no Tolkien expert though. There are other site members who are far more knowledgeable about these things than me!

Halo_Black

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Maybe the ring did make him invisible. Sauron is usualy depicted in full body armor, helmet, chainmail, the lot. Maybe he wore the armor so people could see him, because the ring made him dissapear.

ProgHead777

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But Frodo and Bilbo disappeared clothing and all.

rednell

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Maybe the question should be why does the ring make Bilbo and Frodo to disappear. Does their invisibility cause them to become visible to Sauron and the wraiths?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, yes it does, everybody knows that.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”