Idiot film makers

grondmaster

Idiot film makers

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm too am sorry Ross, but PJ needed to strengthen the female character's part to bring in the paying, giggly teeny-boppers in order to have funds enough to complete the final two installments of the movies.

I also fail to see why "Anduril", the reforged "Narsil", didn't leave Rivendel with Aragorn. Maybe we will find out in PJ's TTT.
'Share and enjoy'

TomBombadillo

Idiot film makers

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well we can only hope, can't we...
Denial is not a river in Africa.

ProgHead777

Idiot film makers

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Remember everyone, the majority of people who are going to see these movies have never read any of Tolkien's books. If you try to look at the film objectively, most , granted not all, but most of the changes make perfect sense. I know the movie's not perfect, but it's much closer to perfect than I ever dared to imagine it would be. And to say that FotR doesn't stick even remotely to the storyline is irrational and just plain wrong. Anyone who was expecting a flawless, scene for scene and word for word translation of the book was seriously deluding themselves. Such a movie is, in a word, impossible.
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

rednell

Idiot film makers

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Movies adapted from books rarely follow the book to the letter. The name of the game in the movie business is money. It costs far more money to produce a movie than to publish a book so some concessions must be made to appeal to the masses. I have to say that even with the changes I really did enjoy PJ's LOTR. I get a different experience from the book and the movie and feel richer for it. :read:
I have seen far worse hatchet jobs with adaptations.

grondmaster

Idiot film makers

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

PJ's version wasn't anyway near a hatchet job; what he covered followed the book very well and the inconsistencies were usually there to cover the parts missing due to time restraints. He did a very good job and I doubt if anyone will ever make a better movie version of FOTR, nor even TTT and ROTK. So there. :P: :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Idiot film makers

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I had waited twenty years for someone to make this film and I must admit I was nervous about watching it the first time incase it had been done badly. I was disappointed about losing Glorfindel because he has always been one of my favourite characters (and he got stabbed in the back by Legolas in the cartoon version in the 80's). I didn't expect to see any sign of Tom either, so wasn't too disappointed when I didn't.
What I really didn't want to see, however, (and I had heard several rumours that I would) was Boromir surviving and being in all three parts at the expense of Faramir. One of my friends really believed this would be the case and it was quite amusing to hear his startled croak when the first arrow sunk into Boromir's chest.
So, Glorfindel aside, I really enjoyed the movie and came out of it actually feeling as though I had just achieved one of my life's ambitions.
I can hardly wait to see the next two.... and please, please PJ go and do the Hobbit afterwards too.

ProgHead777

Idiot film makers

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I remember seeing an interview with Sean Astin right around the time FotR first hit the theaters. He said he told PJ, only half jokingly I think, that if the LotR trilogy was a big success he (Sean Astin) wanted to direct a live action movie of the Hobbit. Again, I'm not sure how serious he was and I don't know exactly how much directing experience he has ( I know he has at least some) but that would be very cool. I think The Hobbit would be easier to translate to the screen than LotR. And I think it would work best if (go ahead and hate me if you like) they had all the same actors reprise their roles. :paranoid:

As to whether or not a Hobbit movie will get made, I'm betting it will. I'll be very surprised if the next two films don't surpass FotR in ticket sales due to the fact that so many people waited for the video release. That was quite a cliffhanger at the end of FotR and people are going to be anxious to see what happens next. Not to mention the value of critical acclaim. There's a lot more potential in TTT and RotK and I'm confident PJ won't let us down. :paranoid: Besides, everyone loves epic battle sequences and we've still got Helm's Deep and the Battle of Pelennor Fields ahead of us! WOOHOO! :flamejump:

But I digress.

Based on the fact that in the end LotR will probably rake in billions of dollars for New Line, we are almost guaranteed The Hobbit and, maybe, if we're really lucky fanboys/girls ...a series of films based on the Sil! Ok, ok, I know ...that's just crazy talk. But you can't blame a fanboy for wishing... :elfwink:

PlasticSquirrel

Idiot film makers

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think The Hobbit would be easier to translate to the screen than LotR. And I think it would work best if (go ahead and hate me if you like) they had all the same actors reprise their roles.

So you want Ian Holm to play a young Bilbo? How the heck is that gonna work Prog?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

grondmaster

Idiot film makers

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

They will send Professor Peabody and Sherman in their 'way back machine' to circa 1979 and bring Ian Holm back to 2003 for the filming as soon as he will have finished playing Bilbo in that excellent BBC Radio Series. :cool:

For those that don't remember Professor Peabody and his boy Sherman, they had their own segment on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, which was almost as much fun as Fractured Fairy Tales and Duddly Doright of the Mounties.
'Share and enjoy'

ProgHead777

Idiot film makers

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Point well taken. So then, who would be best to play young Bilbo? Ewan McGregor? :elfroleeyes:

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”