Character representation/morphology in LOTR film

PlasticSquirrel

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I thought Sauron looked like a huge vibrator headed pillock. Not good at all. And I agree about the Troll/Shrek comparisons. And the Elves as well actually, they didn't even seem to have any of Spock's redeeming qualities.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Bummer Boring, hope things turn around for you.

Only giants in Middle Earth were the stone giants of 'The Hobbit' and that was part of the kiddy story that came before ME was fully developed. I don't think Tolkien really intended us to take their existance as literal; he probably just attributed to them, the works of nature, that were taking place behind that curtain of rain.

With only his fifteen seconds of fame in the movie, what better way to make your archvillian, Sauron appear scarry, than make him bigger than everyone else.

Also, I thought the movie Balrog was about twice the height it should be, other than that, it was perfect.

Hairy Gimli was fine, except his beard could have been longer and forked.
'Share and enjoy'

Boring

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well the only thing nicely done was the defeat of him and it showed there was created a vacuum of power /control over his minions... but i agree he was porly portrait...

the elves... sigh... I wont even start talking about.. I have enough troubles atm (you know the usual.. quiting school.. getting turned out of your box in the park, coz some bugger didn't pay the rent and it wasn't me,.. so you have to live with your parents again)

as the cave troll.. well... lets say the (mountain) troll in the harry potter movie was much better

PlasticSquirrel

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Boring mate, you have my deepest sympathy, been there done that, wouldn't wish it on anyone. And I agree about the Potter troll!

Ungoliant

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Me too. Sorry to hear about your problems mate. Hope things get better.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:O oh right, forked, sorry......

Huan

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good for you Faye - got us with that one. But nothing surprises me anymore; Recently people on this board who had never seen Star Wars and hadn't even read LOTR - so you see I'm a tad worried about some people have only seena dnread things since 1991.
Mea Culpa for jumping on the Vulcan thingy

Boring

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for the support

speaking of longer beards shouldn't gandalf had a much larger beard?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Very much so, a big long flowing tobacco stained thing it should be. Not like that crappy thing Ian Mckellen sported on his chin.

Allyssa

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

How do you find the representation of Sauron during the opening scene when he fought against Isildur. Sort of a giant Iron Man. Those of you who know Tolkien's thoughts/words on this interest me.
... Just like the Troll in Moria; Was he too big and am I going to die laughing - looked like Shrek's older brother.
Per Sauron, I never remember Tolkien mentioning "giants" in ME. If memory serves me right, there may be a description of Sauron in Silmarillion. Film version seemed too excessive.
...I found the Elves "anaemic" - whether it be Legolas, Elrond or Galadriel - even Celeborn.Just seemd a concession to New Age conceptions of Elves. Nobady said Elves were supposed to be aloof and snobish. Legolas walks around as if he doesn't care about anything and seems about as emotional as Spock. (Except the outburst about Aragorns honor)
I'm not meaning to be provocative, honestly, just a question.
Thanks

It's okay, your not povocative, but I think I might be able to help.
Sauron's Build: In one of Tolkiens more obscure works (before the marring and destruction of Numenor) he is described as looking line one of the Numenoreans but much taller and extremely noble of bearing. While not being a giant, the Numenoreans at that time averaged 6 -7 feet tall an if he was taller than this...? Maybe they weren't that far off.

Not really sure how big trolls should be.

Elves and stuff: Don't forget when LoTR was written. Back then pale was beautiful. Or at least it was to Tolkien. In the Sil and other works, he often described the elves and various individuals (eg: Earendel) as pale or even of 'silvery' skin, and that this was considered beautiful, egg: description of Arwen in LoTR "...her white arms and clear skin were flawless and smooth...".

On the other hand, I do agree that at times this may have been overdone. I have seen stills of Erond in which he looks quite pasty.

Aloof and Snobbish: I don't know. Elves appear to have the capcity for mental telepathy. This may mean that they do not need to show their emotions outwardly and so they appear cold and unfeeling or aloof. I also think that elves could be a little insular and stuck up. Consider Feanor's attitude to Men. Elrond's initial response when he realises that Aragorn is in love with Arwen. "She is too far above you. And so it may well seem to her..." Also there is the general attitude of elves to dwarves whom they consider to be their inferiors because they consider them unlovely.

Well, I hope I havn't prattled on for too long. Hope that sort of answers your thoughts. I generally found the details in the movie to be well researched and accurate.

I do agree though, that maybe for a film the elves should have shown more emotion and Sauron's armour was a bit over the top. Someone even suggested that he looked like a personal stimulator.....got to agree.
"May the Angels Guide"

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”