So What did you think of the movie?

Allyssa

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Back to movie thoughts, the title of this topic:

I have just been to see the movie the second time. I did enjoy it better this time. Like someone said (I forget who) the movie is better 2nd time because you stop looking for differences and details and just watch the show.

I still hated Elrond and strongly disliked Galadriel (except for the witch bit, didn't mind it this time)

I loved Gandalf and fell in love with Frodo all over again (along with the rest of the cast - what's with that you think?)

I cried again at the death of Boromir. My brother, who was with me, must have thought me nuts, but that scene has got to be the most moving of the whole film. My nephews (aged 10 and 13) also enjoyed the bit where Aragorn slices off the head of Lurtz. I'm no lover of violence, but I enjoyed that.

All in all, a great movie! Possibly better fi you haven't read the book.
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No, I'd read the Hobbit first, cos it's easiest, then the Lotr to get you good and hooked, and then the Sil, cos it's really hard going if you're not already into it. Then go back and read the other two again, and watch how all the pieces start to fit together and it all starts to make sense.
Just read it in any order as often as you like really Wolf, there's no cut and dried rules for this sort of thing. But we do offer much in the way of helpful advice for those who are struggling with the Silm. (see the Sil section for this)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Wolf

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Same here zza. I have yet to read the Silmarillion. I want to though. i just have to take the time to actually GET it and read it.

It didn't realy seem to matter with the order you could read the other two. Does it matter for this one? Or after I read it should I go read the others agian? :o

zza

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've always wondered about that since all these books are on every bookstore in town.

So it means, that the recommended reading order would be :
1. The Silmarillion
2. The Hobbits
3. Lord of the Rings.

Also means I need to get the book. I have the last two.

grondmaster

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcom to the forum Wolf. I agree with you. I also wanted to hear Sam say, "...somebody's going to catch it hot!"

I moved this topic from the Taverns because it was movie related. [Edited on 9/1/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

Fangorn

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I LOVED THE MOVIE! I think they did a fantastic job with the movie. Though I have found those that disagree with me. I also loved the scenery, I think they made a good decision to film it in New Zealand.

Something funny though, obviously there are people who don't know that there are going to be three movies. When my dad and I went to see the movie, at the end there were these people sitting behind us who said things like, "That was a sucky ending. I sat there for three hours, my butt is sore! I wanted to see him throw it into the fire!" My dad was surprised that there were adults who had never heard of Tolkien.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm constantly surpised by that as well! Especially considering that the movie's been hyped as a TRILOGY :D Welcome by the way Wolf and Fangorn.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Wolf

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks.

I realy liked the Lord Of the Rings books when I read them. After seeing the movie, I feel like I have to read them agian.

I agree with you though, that some people realy need to be clued in on the fact that they NEED to read the books. They're SO much better, even though the movie was pretty good.

zza

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi - i just found the website and looking at the forums i think i found my haven.

i've seen the movie twice and planning to catch it again. even though the cinema has shown it to a full house at every showing but there are some of my officemates who have not yet and not interested to see the movie. i mean this is like star wars/titanic sort of thing - a must see. some people can be so dense about this things.

I've finally got all three books to years ago and read up to the mid of The Two Towers. I find it so sad becoz the fellowship broke. My brother say that the book The Hobbits is a good read and must be read before the LOTR. How true is it? Most definite will read again LOTR.

Allyssa

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Hobbit is a good book, naturally since it was written by Tolkien. It is a book for older children though, so you may find it a litte childish compared to TLoTR. It is Bilbo Baggins adventure story, and tells how he found the ring and encountered Gollum.

I don't think it is essential to read it, but it does fill in some background info.
"May the Angels Guide"

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”