Frodo - love him or hate him ?

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum Elenya-Are. :happyelf:

I agree the film Frodo was a pain in the neck, especially because in the book there really wasn't much indication that The Ring was weighing him down until he entered the Morgul Vale beyond the cross-roads from Osgiliath (to which ruined city they never went). And as we now know, PJ has left that bit for the finale, so why make life so hard on Frodo in the second film; what was the point?

At this rate, in the next film Sam will have to carry Frodo piggy-back up the steep and the crooked stairs and also the straight and the crumbly ones, as well as on through Shelob's lair because I don't think Gollum will be up to carrying any load.

Oh well, I must just remember it is a different slant on the same story which has just come down to us via a different oral tradition, that from the tribe that lived on the other side of the valley from Tolkien's tribe.
'Share and enjoy'

MadWannabe

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No words can describe the distaste I have for Frodo...he is like the ultimate whining machine! HE just goes on and on about "oohhh...the burden...." Sure he carried the ring and stuff but Sam carried HIM! He is always acting like a spolit brat and I really felt like smashing him to pulp. Feel not felt...the feeling did not change...Sam seems to be the portrayal of the saddest gardener in the world to serve the wimpest loser in Middle-Earth...
:flamejump:
I can feel the flames of fury of the Frodo supporters in the world. I admit that Frodo may be quite strong too, in his own way, for he was resisting the temptation on the while...which now leads me to realise sumthing...I heard from Erkenbrand that the ring does not exactly tempt the person but amplifies the person's desires, and now it leads me to understand why Frodo and Bilblio were able to resist the temptation so long. Hobbits, for the most part only wish to lead a good life and have no wishes to be a mighty warrior...and also with the characteristics of hobits that can be found in the forum of weekly Tolkien sessions I think...I now think that Frodo was not exactly that strong in willpower to resist it, but it is because the ring has very little to work with!

Allyssa

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

...I now think that Frodo was not exactly that strong in willpower to resist it, but it is because the ring has very little to work with!

Exactly why Frodo makes the perfect ringbearer and someone like Boromir (who has a lot of personal ambition) would be a disaster.

I liked Elijah Wood as Frodo. I think he did a fine job. The scenes in the movie in which he is 'annoying' are deliberate, I think. PJ is trying to throw the audience off balance for some reason. Why? I can only speculate. Maybe to make the Shelob scenes have more or less impact, maybe so that we will identify with Sam more, or maybe so that we will feel more pity for Gollum.
"May the Angels Guide"

chikakat

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm not a fan of the movie Frodo, but actually, Allyssa, I hadn't even considered that PJ had purposely made him annoying. That's an interesting take on it...I wonder what PJ's intending to do with that, though.

I missed, though, in the movie, the sense of a sort of quiet strength Frodo had in the book. In the book, he was obviously scared by what he had to do and somewhat overwhelmed, but he's resolute and really admirable...in the movie, he's just sort of a snot...

Erkenbrand

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I heard from Erkenbrand that the ring does not exactly tempt the person but amplifies the person's desires, and now it leads me to understand why Frodo and Bilblio were able to resist the temptation so long. Hobbits, for the most part only wish to lead a good life and have no wishes to be a mighty warrior...and also with the characteristics of hobits that can be found in the forum of weekly Tolkien sessions I think...I now think that Frodo was not exactly that strong in willpower to resist it, but it is because the ring has very little to work with!

Hmm.... I think I have been a little misunderstood here... hehehe.

I didn't say that the Ring does not tempt, because it definitely does. But to what degree the Ring is able to tempt is based on the desire that the individual has. Bilbo's mind was very slowly being consumed by the temptation of the Ring, despite having little desire, being a simple hobbit. You can see the slow transformation and the sudden outbursts he makes, a sign that the Ring does indeed do more than amplify the desires, but also tempt and corrupt.

Frodo in the movies is extremely detestable. PJ has managed to take away crucial scenes that display his courage (eg Bruinen Ford) and replaced it with a weak, whiny, irritating character that is constantly in pain and anguish, almost self-pitying. This is totally unlike the character that Tokien has written, and is absolutely out of character as far as the nature of hobbits is concerned.

I think PJ is trying to dramatize the effect that the Ring has on Frodo. Instead of making subtle changes that would culminate in ROTK, leading to Frodo shouting at Sam when Sam offered to take the Ring, and claiming the Ring for himself at Mount Doom, PJ chooses to portray the Ring's great impact on Frodo prematurely so that the audience can comprehend the burden that Frodo carries.

The only concern I have is that PJ will have a difficulty making the burden even greater, especially since Frodo in TTT is close to breaking down and has even threatened to kill Sam after offering the Ring to a Nazgul. How can it possibly get any worse than that???

ladyoflegolas

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I Like Frodo!!!!:) :D :)

Komosot

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Frodo almost handing over the ring to the Nazgul made me almost choke on my popcorn. Luckily my father was there to slap the heck out of my back and revive me. That whole scene was engineered for the sole purpose of ending the movie with yet another cliffhanger. Right? WRONG. After some thought, I have to disagree with the whole "Frodo and the Nazgul" grievance.

In the book, Frodo is tempted to take the Ring to the Witch King in Minas Morgul. This is the very doorsteps of Mordor. The Witch King even feels the Ring while he leads his army out of Mordor. Yet Sauron continues to focus on Gondor. So, I don't think that having a Nazgul see Frodo with the Ring ruins the plot. In fact, as there seemingly will be no Palantir' thrown at gandalf or Palantir-gazing for Aragorn, (sad, very sad.) This may be PJ's way to explain Sauron's quick attack at Gondor. What the heck else could it be?

As far as how Frodo is portrayed in the movie,i totally agree his burden of the Ring is premature and redundant. They have hammered away with this scene constantly throughout, leaving us with a deplorable midget, rather than a brave hobbit named Frodo, standing against all odds. And if that wasn't enough we have something the book does portray at this point, Gollum's obsession with the ring, which in PJ's movie is inappropriately comical and get's nothing but laughs from non-fans. :smoke:

MadWannabe

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hmmm....but now that the witch-king knows that Frodo has the ring, won't the whole of Mordor be on the look out of Frodo...In this way how will Frodo complete his quest?

Komosot

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey, i never claimed PJ's own interpretation is feasible. In fact i find it moronic. But if i think like a moron, i come up with some crazy answers. My last post is my only reasoning for why PJ would insert a scene like that. But again, since it seems that the aragorn/palantir gazing scene won't make it to the movie, this is probably PJ's effort to convince us that Sauron's sudden invasion of Gondor isn't premature and he's acting on instinct. I dunno.... :smoke:

grondmaster

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hmmm....but now that the witch-king knows that Frodo has the ring, won't the whole of Mordor be on the look out of Frodo...In this way how will Frodo complete his quest?
No, the last thing on Middle-earth that Sauron expects is for anyone to be dumb enough to throw The One Ring away. He expects it to now be taken to Minas Tirith where a champion will arise to contest him for dominance of power. Now that Palantir-gazing for Aragorn appears to no longer be viable, this is why he will hastily attack Gondor. He does not wish to allow this champion the time to rally all his forces behind him. :teacher:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Two Towers”