Theoden King

Aulë

Theoden King

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But wasn´t Théoden supposed to be more like 60? I mean 50 isn´t old!
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Peredhil

Theoden King

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I would put Theodens's age at around 70, give or take a few years.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

Findekano

Theoden King

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Theoden was born in T.A 2948 and by the time of the WoTR he was 70 yrs old. He had begun to be 'inticed' in Wormtounge's spell for three years prior to the WoTJ, when he began to enter old age quicker then most of the Rohhirim,due to sickness

IMO, in Pellenor Theoden was as powerful as any man before him-he kicked ***.

Elfstone

Theoden King

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

IMO, in Pellenor Theoden was as powerful as any man before him-he kicked ***.

I have to agree with Findekano! Theoden is one of my favorite characters, and I would have followed him into battle anyday!

I actually really enjoyed the whole Thoeden being under Saruman's spell, and being unusually old.

I agree also Anilorak! I thought that was a cool touch, and one of the few changes that P.J. made that didn't make me want to pull my hair out.
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

grondmaster

Theoden King

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I thought that was a cool touch, and one of the few changes that P.J. made that didn't make me want to pull my hair out.
Yes as Saruman was a wizard, sorcerer or whatever, the movie going audience needed a little more magic out of him other than that rediculous game of 'toss the Gandalf' in the first movie. Thus his spell over King Theoiden. With out a visible display or showing the results of his magic, Saruman would just have appeared as your ordinary power hungry despot trying to feather his nest at the expense of his neighbors. :mad2: IMHO :paranoid:
'Share and enjoy'

Elfstone

Theoden King

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

that rediculous game of 'toss the Gandalf' in the first movie.

OMG Grondy, that's too funny! :funnylaugh:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Naira

Theoden King

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes as Saruman was a wizard, sorcerer or whatever, the movie going audience needed a little more magic out of him other than that rediculous game of 'toss the Gandalf' in the first movie.

Hehe, that is funny :D
Btw, I was wondering, if PJ put the 'exorcism of Theoden' scene just to please the audience who wanted to see Saruman's magic, why didn't he do something at the end when the Ents attacked Isengard? Saruman just stood there looking shocked/confused/clueless instead of using his powers to try and stop the Ents. He didn't even hold his staff, so I'm not sure what that means. I thought his staff will be broken by Gandalf later (in ROTK most likely).

"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me"

Elfstone

Theoden King

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I thought his staff will be broken by Gandalf later (in ROTK most likely).

It better, as this passage is one of my favorites in the whole book:
He raised his hand, and spoke in a clear cold voice. "Saruman, your staff is broken". There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet. "Go!" said Gandalf. With a cry Saruman fell back and crawled away

I would probably hunt down PJ and... well I wouldn't do anything nice to him at least, let's just leave it at that... ;)

Not to be the spoiler guy, but the events that take place in The Voice of Saurman chapter in TTT, will happen at the beginning of the film ROTK. I love when Gandalf breaks Saurman's staff; their exchange of words in that chapter is one of my favorite parts of LOTR. The White Rider definitely shows that slimy dirt bag who’s boss!
:hahaha:

Return to “The Two Towers”