Do you like the movies?

Lord Of All

Do you like the movies?

Post#61 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:41 pm

I will give you an example - Grond.
In the Book grond simply came along and busted the gates open.

In the movie they first try using a battering ram standard then they bring in grond. Why do you think that is? They wanted to show how powerful and menacing Grond was so they would show how easily it busted down a gate that was unhindered by a normal ram.
This is a very good tactic to me. But if we look at it logically it makes NO sense. Why would Mordor spend such a long time making a superb ram like grond to then first try the gates with a normal ram?

When you analyse parts you can see they make no sense in reality but WHY they were put in.

gandalf-olorin

Do you like the movies?

Post#62 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:25 pm

I understand your argument, LOA, but the WK already appeared formidable enough without having to make the character of Gandalf suffer for it. Look at how the WK was shown leaving Minas Morgul, what the Nazgul were doing to Faramir's troops, what was shown of his attacks against Minas Tirith. I think we already had a pretty good idea he was a definite BEM. Now I watched all the extra material on the EE and I never saw or heard an explanation of why PJ had to do it this way--other than the general one of "it had to be changed for the movie." Again, I think Tolkien's vision of the scene works much better.

Lord Of All

Do you like the movies?

Post#63 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I thought it obvious - PJ wanted another character to match gandalf.

The balrog is gone, Sauron cannot come - he used the WK. If he hadn't the audience would think that 'Oh well gandalf will lead them right, for he is unmatched'. The WK as a deadly foe to Gandalf however inspired the watchers more becuase they didn't know what would happen.

gandalf-olorin

Do you like the movies?

Post#64 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:41 pm

The "match" was already forceful enough in the book. In a contest between PJ and Tolkien on this scene, I will take Tolkien.

Lord Of All

Do you like the movies?

Post#65 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Tolkien would always win but the point i am making is - PJ was NOT having a contest.

gandalf-olorin

Do you like the movies?

Post#66 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:03 pm

No, your point was that PJ did a good job on this scene, while I and others here believe the scene was somewhat wanting. As I said, PJ did many things right, but not this.

Lord Of All

Do you like the movies?

Post#67 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:16 am

In your opinion.

Vee

Do you like the movies?

Post#68 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 am

It *is* a matter of opinion. That's not a problem. For the die-hard fans of the books any change to a favourite scene will seem unwarranted. (Why oh why did he do that to Faramir? - that's my pet whinge!) Many people who saw the films without having read the books were completely satisfied with the films but at least they have some lovely surprises in store if and when they read the books. And it gives us all the chance to discuss and revel in the good parts (which I think far outweigh the bad) and pick the not-so-good parts to pieces. Human nature being what it is we seem to take more pleasure in the picking to pieces and not giving enough praise for the good.

I agree with what has been said above - the impact of PJ's changes is exacerbated by the impact of great scenes true to the books.

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

virumor

Do you like the movies?

Post#69 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 am

PJ did a lot of things right, but he shouldn't have killed off April. That made me cry.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

eruwen

Do you like the movies?

Post#70 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:00 am

Quote Vee:
(Why oh why did he do that to Faramir? - that's my pet whinge!)

Mine too, Vee, mine too. Faramir just would NOT have done what he did in the movies. It just wasn't in his nature. Ugh! So frustrating!

Return to “The Two Towers”