Which Two Towers?

Allyssa

Which Two Towers?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I always thought that it referred to the two opposing towers: Barad-dur and The tower of Minas Tirith. But I could be very wrong on that.
"May the Angels Guide"

Amarië

Which Two Towers?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I thought the union referred to the palantirs, Saurons stone in Barad-Dur and Sarumans in Orthanc.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

PlasticSquirrel

Which Two Towers?

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm so glad it's not just me who suddenly realises that he never really understood the d@mn title. Phew! Confusion abounds, anybody got a definitive answer? (awaits the inevitable Grondy/Melly/Eryan bombardment of source materials)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ross

Which Two Towers?

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I always thought it refered to Barad-Dur and the Orthanc as they are technically the only two towers al the others are city's or garrison. I also think tolkien used the title to symbolise the two power's that are vying for the ring. Sorry but in my opinion that idiot PJ might have got it right for once.
Sod off I'm busy!

Stonehelm

Which Two Towers?

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Why do you think that PJ is an idiot?

I thinks that it is Orthanc and Cirith Ungol, those are really the only towers that play a part in TTT
I will never raise the white flag.

rednell

Which Two Towers?

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well folks, from JRRT's pen to you:

Letter #140
The Two Towers gets as near as possible to finding a title to cover the widely divergent Books 3 and 4; and can be left ambiguous - it might refer to Isengard and Barad-dur, or to Minas Tirith and B; or Isengard and Cirith Ungol.

Letter #143
I am not at all happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirtith, that seems very misleading.

So it would seem, even the postAuthorID was not really sure of which towers the title refers to. :elfconfused:

Ross

Which Two Towers?

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ah thank you Rednell!

As for why I think that PJ is an idiot you will find my disgruntled ramblings scattered throught out the forums, so I am a bit loth to discuss it as alot of people have already heard my arguements (Glorfindel, Tom Bombardil etc.)
Sod off I'm busy!

valedhelgwath

Which Two Towers?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Away at sea for just one night and I missed an interesting discussion brought to its conclusion. Had Rednell not posted the definitive answer I would have said Minas Tirith (The White Tower of Ecthelion) and Minas Morgul (The Tower of the Moon) because I had read somewhere that that was the actual answer. I cannot remember where I read that, but it is irrelevant because it was obviously wrong.

ProgHead777

Which Two Towers?

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Might have been simpler if Tolkien had just called it The Four Towers!
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

Which Two Towers?

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Book three centered around Orthanc; Book four bypassed Minas Morgul and Frodo only just entered the Tower of Cirith Ungol. Minas Tirith had to wait to be entered until Book 5 and we never got to Barad-Dur.

My vote goes for Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol; however, Orthanc and Barad-Dur make more sense, as the forces of both Sarumen and Sauron were trying to capture the ringbearer, that their master could then become ultimate Overlord of Middle-earth.

'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Two Towers”