*movie spoiler* Haldir

Allyssa

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Poor Haldir. Wrong place at the wrong time. ;)

Enigma, does it make you feel any better that Haldir's death probably saved the lives of all those Rohirric mothers and children? Very noble of him.

My guess is that PJ needed him out of the way to avoid any further plot contortions in ROTK.
"May the Angels Guide"

Lucien

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I was so surprised to even see Haldir in TTT...he had only a two second scene in The Fellowship but in the extended edition we did see him for several extra minutes. When I saw him in TTT I thought it was a good change making his death tragic...overall i think it worked out great in the movie.

Smeagol

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I thought that it was a bit sad that as Haldir died, he looked around and saw all the Elves that died and that could have 'lived forever'. :(

Naira

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, Haldir's death was tragic because in the movie he was fighting to protect Rohan, a kingdom of Men and not his own kind. I thought the other elves' deaths were quite sad also.
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me"

Naira

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Maybe Peter Jackson created Haldir's death to allow the sons of Elrond appearing in RotK.

P.S. Sorry had to post another :P: nn[Edited on 4/1/2003 by Naira]
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me"

Allyssa

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I certainly hope so, Naira. :D
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Haldir's death was put there because PJ wanted a good death scene like Boromir's but there were no characters other than him ready for the chop in TT. All the other main characters in the book (with the exception of Frodo) survive the TT ready to die in RotK.

And as has already been said, by killing Haldir the way he did, the viewer was better able to see the tragic end of so many wonderful elves whose choice was to be there, even though it was a great sacrifice.

MrFrodo

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Haldirs death was tragic and heroic. I really felt sad that not a single elf survies the whole battle apart from Legolas.

Tinúviel

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But you don't know for sure that they all died :paranoid:

I think PJ effectively used Haldir's death as a cinematic device to illustrate the tragedy of war. He needed a heart-breaking death of an identified character to set off the whole slow motion scene.
The death of all those elves is even more sad when seen from Haldir's perspective.

ladyoflegolas

*movie spoiler* Haldir

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH :sad:
(Just thought I'd put in my own thought on the matter) :(

Return to “The Two Towers”