Elves at Helms Deep

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Since I am a purist, I did not like the addition of the Elves to the Battle of Helms Deep. I also wondered why they had Haldir lead them because in the book Haldir seems only to be a guard and not a captain.

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The reason why there are elves at Helm`s Deep, is because everybodys favourite creature in Middle-Earth is elves. so now it is more elves than one (Legolas), that means that the crowd is content with the movie.

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the site Lurtz.

During the War of the Ring, elves of Lorien fought battles against forces from Dol Guldur which though barely mentioned in LotR were just as crucial as Helm's Deep and Pelinnor Fields. I believe PJ wanted to give the elves credit for the blood they shed but did not have time or funds for another major battle. His solution was to send a company of them to die valiently at Helm's Deep.

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think they brought the elves in, yes definatly because everyone love the elves and wants to see more of them because they are not in the books very much, but also because I think they are trying to stress the alliance of men and elves. As for Haldir, they leave out a lot of people throughtout the movies and they add in a ton more, but for the flow of the movie, it works if we already know the person. If a new elf from Lothlorien came, it wouldn't mean anything to us.

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grondy moved this thread from [u]Characters[/u]. :happyelf:
'Share and enjoy'

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i agree with that valed guy there were 3 attacks on lorien and a massive battle under the trees in Mirkwood was fought so instead of Making a new battle he added them to the Battle of Helms deep

THe reason i THink Haldir was sent to lead them is he is the only other fighting Elf known to the non lotr reader besides elrond and Legolas and the company seems to be from lothlorion or mostly from there so they sent there best warrior out

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i think the elves were a decent addition because i was yearning for more elfish action since the prolouge.....unlike Helms Deep having only 300 defenders it was definately worth changing the story for :P:

(Plastic turned off the signature again, as it is over 3 lines, and thus not in keeping with our policies)nn[Edited on 20/1/2003 by PlasticSquirrel]

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for the replies ... I think I am going to enjoy this board.

Val - I thought the same thing, the battles that took place after the fall of Sauron ... Dol Guldur for example ... were barely mentioned in the book. I would like to believe that was the motive behind sending elves to Helm's Deep. Plus the fact it was really cool!

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the site Aurora, DolAmroth, Earendill and Elros. I hope you all enjoy yourself here.

Elves at Helms Deep

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mmh, I really liked the part were elves fought in Helm's deep, for a movie it was ok, anyway I think that Haldir should have never lead that army. It should be lead by another elf shurely not him. I wonder what other surprises brings "The return of the king" movie... Dwarves at Pelennor??...nn[Edited on 20/1/2003 by Namo]
On through the night he rides, on his raging
horse made of steel
Nothing can save you now, before the renegade
you will kneel

Return to “The Two Towers”