Sam

Allyssa

Sam

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Tolkien's sense of humour is very subtle. Some miss it all together.

Agagorn is even funny sometimes, like when he is chasing the orcs in Rohan. At one stage he throws himself on the ground and sleeps flat on his back with mouth open I think...quite a funny image for the austere ranger.

I thought some of Merry's chatter with Theoden was quite amusing. Especially whan Gandalf warns the king of "his peril.." that Hobbits can talk people to death...or almost.

I loved Tolkien's sense of humour. Delightlfully refreshing.
"May the Angels Guide"

swampfaye

Sam

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I thought I loved Tolkien's sense of humour. Delightlfully refreshing.

If you like "subtle" humor.. (Which I find appeals to many Europeans). I found the humor in LOTR to be seriously lacking. I prefer the Stephen Wright type of humor "I returned to my apartment to find that everything had been stolen and replaced with an exact dulpicate..."

grondmaster

Sam

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

When I need humor in my fantasy literature, I read Diskworld novels. Terry Pratchett is anything, but subtle. Pratchett's humor usually results in a full fledged guffaw, while Tolkien's only draws the occasional smile. :)
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Sam

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If you like "subtle" humor.. (Which I find appeals to many Europeans).

Swampfaye, I am not European. Quite a long way from it actually.....[Edited on 1/2/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

swampfaye

Sam

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I didn't say subtle humor *only* appealed to Europeans... but in any case maybe you would like "The Colour of Magic" quite funny, but you have to be an adult to really appreciate most of the humor (in sewer ants) .

PlasticSquirrel

Sam

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like my humour as subtle as a rusty chainsaw, so Tolk rarely makes me laugh out loud, perhaps a smirk here and there, but rarely where it's supposed to be. ;)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Sam

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like Tolkien's humour as well. Refreshing, as sb said, it is indeed. It's there when you need it... :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Sam

Sam

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Oh yeah..again late... :D

I like Tolkien´s humour too...it´s very refreshing.

Yes...and I´m not an European...I´m from Finland and I can´t compare a Finn and European...it´s impossible. We are so different from other Europeans in here Finland and other Northern countries...Our culture is so different, our kitchen and "drink"-culture..(or what it is?) Everything is different here...our language isn´t german...(but it is german in other northern countries...) And don´t forget SAUNA...have you ever been in sauna?? THAT is very refreshing...you must test it once..come here to Finland....This is The Land Of Lakes... :)

Boring

Sam

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

rrrrrrrrrrr ok if we are going to say things like that no one really is a European except for the germans? Coz I'm dutch and you cant (well actually you can it's quite easy to see the difference) compare me with Germans :)

and the brits aren't europeans baceause they are on an island and think they are driving on the right side of the road :)

and the french aren't european because they only know how to speak french and for gods sake they eat snails..... yuk...

etc etc....

But htere's actually humor in tolkien? wow must have missed it or forgotten :)

but for terry pratchet It's great :) but I think I would like it even more when my english is better, which- i hope- it will be someday
as for "in sewer ants" thats wasn't a hard one was it?
nn[Edited on 25/7/2002 by Boring]

Rosie_Cotton

Sam

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You're quite right we brits definitely aren't european and we DO drive on the right side of the road!!!! :mad:.... ;) It's just the rest of the world who drive on the wrong side

Anyway... I love Tolkiens humour especially in the hobbit, if yuo read the books out loud Bilbo really is the most amusing character and the interaction with him and Gandalf is delightful.
"to think I'd live to be greeted by Belladnna Took's son as if I was selling buttons at the door" (or something like that) but that's definitely where the humour is in Tolkien.

Return to “The Return of the King”