THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

grondmaster

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#1 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:53 pm

That sounds about right to me Elfstone, but getting all that in, in just an hour may be a tad bit tight. Still it will make the story hang together better, and as I think PJ said, "The theatre version was for the money counters; the SEE DVD's are for the fans."

Any idea when the DVDs will be released?
'Share and enjoy'

Elfstone

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#2 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:45 pm

Any idea when the DVDs will be released?

Well the SEE won't be out until November (drat), that came straight from PJ. As far as the TC goes, I've been hearing May, but I'm not sure about that. When I know for certain, I'll post it here (unless someone beats me to it).

Also, here's part of that interview with PJ I was talking about in my original post:

THE ONCE AND FUTURE 'KING'

Now a mere few days until the theatrical premiere of The Return of the King, and director Peter Jackson has already begun talking about the eventual extended cut of the third film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. "There’s about an hour's worth of finished cut scenes that we could put into a movie, and we'll put at least half of them into an extended cut," Jackson said. "There's a sequence with Saruman (Christopher Lee) at Isengard that's about seven minutes long. We shot some quite memorable scenes from the book that aren't in the movie, like when Frodo and Sam are disguised as orcs. There's a section where they actually end up in the orc army for a short period of time." Comic relief segments could make a comeback as well, he said. "There's actually a funny Legolas/Gimli scene where they play a drinking competition to see who can get drunk the quickest," he said. "That was in the banquet scene near the beginning of the movie, and we just felt that the comedic tone of it wasn't helping us jump in and establish a lot of narrative tension." Thanks to Video Store Magazine.

I know it's not 100% confirmation, but what I get out of this is that PJ is saying the Orc regiment scene with Frodo and Sam will be included on the SEE DVD (keeping fingers crossed).
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

grondmaster

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#3 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:49 pm

Yeah, the overhearing of the warrior and the tracker talking about that gobbler just before Frodo and Sam joined the Orc army was another of my favorites; though, I especially liked the BBC Radio version where the two Orc units met at the entrance to Udûn. "Now then, now then, what's all this." and "You vile eared bag of donkey droppings" or some such words; and in the confusion our two heroes climbed over the edge of the high kerb and really deserted in earnest. —and then my own addition—they went off singing:
We're off to see the Mountain, The Wonderful Cracks of Doom.
You'll find it is a mound of a Mount If ever a Mount! there was.
If ever oh ever a Mount! there was The Mountain is one because,
Because, because, because, because, because.
Because of the wonderful things it does.
We're off to see the Mountain. The Wonderful Cracks of Doom. :orcgin:
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#4 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:29 am

We wants the Orc March, and they can even put in "Where there's a whip, then there's a way" if they like.
Watch the movie again and play my favourite game, spotting where the cuts are made, this one is the most obvious, what the heck happened to Sam and Frodo's orc gear in Mordor? Obviously there's something there, ain't that fun? Also, it looks a lot like there is a Mouth of Sauron sequence featuring Frodo's mail shirt at the black gate, or is that just my wishful thinking?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Elfstone

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#5 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:54 pm

Watch the movie again and play my favourite game, spotting where the cuts are made, this one is the most obvious, what the heck happened to Sam and Frodo's orc gear in Mordor? Obviously there's something there, ain't that fun? Also, it looks a lot like there is a Mouth of Sauron sequence featuring Frodo's mail shirt at the black gate, or is that just my wishful thinking?

(Elfstone sings "Where there's a whip, there's a way...") :P:

Yeah, I like to try and spot where the cuts were made too. I've only seen the TC twice, but to me the most obvious cut is the MoS scene at the Black Gate. I know the scene was filmed, and you can literally see where they cut that whole sequence out. Also Toy Biz is releasing a MoS action figure in a special package in October so....

Anyway, even though neither one of those two scenes has been officially confirmed at this point, I'd wager a good dollar that both will indeed be on the SEE DVD.
:orcsmilie:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

grondmaster

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#6 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:02 pm

what the heck happened to Sam and Frodo's orc gear in Mordor?
When they left Cirith Ungol, they were wearing Orc gear and then they were on the mountain in their civies. So we know they made the cuts there.

How the heck did Pippin find Merry on that field of carnage? Did his intuition tell him to look under all the Oliphaunts or just where the flies were thickest? :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Elfstone

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#7 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:44 pm

This is interesting,

( From dvdpremiereawards.com)

On the heels of capturing four Golden Globes and collecting a leading 11 Academy Awards nominations for the latest film in its signature property, New Line Home Entertainment will bring out The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King on DVD in May, earlier than its first two installments, according to retail sources.

For The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, New Line released the first DVD version in August, then followed up with an extended edition in November.

The extended editions arrived just before the next film bowed in theaters.

With no further Lord of the Rings theatrical installment with which to time a DVD release, New Line is moving up the timetable.

After the first release in May, the extended edition of Return of the King would likely hit stores in September, according to sources.

Also being toyed with is a boxed set featuring all three non-extended versions that would also be available in May.

A set of all three extended versions could come in the fourth quarter.

Director Peter Jackson was quoted last week as saying that the extended version of Return of the King would be 4 hours and 10 minutes.

New Line said no release plans have been set and no announcement will be made until after the Oscars telecast on Feb. 29.

Not confirmed yet, but who knows? Oh please let the SEE come out in Sept! One thing I’m a little bitter about though is, I hope NL doesn’t end up releasing a box set of all three SEE DVD’s. They said a while back that they wouldn’t do that to the fans that have already shelled out all kinds of dough for the DVD’s. Personally, I purchased both the super deluxe SEE versions of both FOTR, and TTT (the ones that came with the limited edition statues by WETA of the Argonath, and Gollum). I’m also planning on getting the super deluxe SEE version of ROTK, so if NL does end up doing a box set of some sort, it better not have any new stuff on them, like all the deleted scenes that didn’t get used in the SEE’s (I know there’s a ton of them, including a rumored death of Gil-Galad scene that didn’t get used in the prologue of FOTR).

I want those deleted scenes, just the ones that are finished, and polished that didn’t get used! I read in an interview with PJ a while back that there was over 500 hours of footage filmed for all three movies, and even with all of the SEE’s, we still only get to see like 12 hours of that 500. Granted probably at least half of those 500 hours I don’t need to see, but it just makes me wonder how much more stuff got filmed that we don’t know about?
:elfconfused:

valedhelgwath

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#8 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:35 pm

I read in an interview with PJ a while back that there was over 500 hours of footage filmed for all three movies, and even with all of the SEE’s, we still only get to see like 12 hours of that 500

I take it a lot of those 500 hours are also shots of the same scene taken from multiple camera angles.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do release a special boxed set as well as the original extended DVDs. Now that the last movie is out of the way, they are going to milk this cow until it's dry.

Elfstone

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#9 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:00 pm

I take it a lot of those 500 hours are also shots of the same scene taken from multiple camera angles. I wouldn't be surprised if they do release a special boxed set as well as the original extended DVDs. Now that the last movie is out of the way, they are going to milk this cow until it's dry.

Yeah that's what I meant by at least half of that footage I don't need to see, most of it is multiple angle, and sequence stuff, but again, I want those darn deleted scenes that didn’t get used. They did a meeting of the White Council scene for the beginning of FOTR that didn’t get used either that I would love to see (C. Parker, the guy who played Haldir talked about that scene in an interview).

Your probably right too Val (sigh), NL most likely will do some sort of box set deal eventually, going back on their word (it’s funny how a billion dollars world wide off of one film can change somebody’s mind, ha ha), and let’s face it, if you find a gold mine, you don’t stop digging until you got all the gold. All the more reason why I strongly suspect we will see PJ make The Hobbit after he's done with King Kong. Can you say cash cow?
:cowsleep:

Elfstone

THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Post#10 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:49 pm

Hate to double post, but here's another interesting little item. This was posted on TORN today, it comes from a writer named Lynne who personally attended the SBFF Modern Master award ceremony with PJ (which was right across the street from my pad),

I'm next, I'm next, I'm next. What the heck was I going to ask him??? Brain
dial tone kicks in nnnnnnnnnnnnnn, NO! Wait, idiot. Ask about the ROTK EE. That's
what you really want to know. Ask! Ask!

Pete is peeled away from the wooing fans and the handler introduces me to Peter
Jackson, Director of the Lord of the Rings, hero of my life (direct transcript):

Me: Congratulations on your recent Oscar nominations!

Pete: Oh, thank you so much.

Me: Could you tell us a little bit about what we can look forward to on the
extended edition of Return of the King-your favorite scene, perhaps?

(Husband meanwhile slips in the poster and nails the autograph. Go husband!
Then he resumes snapping pics of me interviewing Pete.)

Pete: Well, yes, the extended edition has 50 minutes of new footage. I finished
cutting it just before I came over here. And I like…well a scene that was
not necessary to the plot and we didn't use it in the movie, but I've always
been quite fond of it is…when Frodo and Sam end up in the orc army. It
wasn't essential, but it's kind of fun, and I've always been fond of it. That
was a hard one to cut out.

Me: That was the one scene I was most hoping would be back in!

Pete: Oh, good.

So it certainly seems that 50 minutes of restored footage, and the scene with Frodo and Sam in the Orc army is the official word now.
:elf:

Return to “The Return of the King”