'LOTR: RotK' Sweeps Oscars

Post#1 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:59 pm

:pary: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," tonight won 11 Oscars, sweeping each category in which it was nominated. :pary:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Screenplay (adaptation)
Original Score
Original Song - “Into the West"
Film Editing
Visual Effects
Art Direction
Costume Design
Sound Mixing

It tied with 'Titanic' and 'Ben Hur' for most Academy Awards in a year.

(I would have posted this on the home page, but my administrator controls seem to have disappeared.) :searching:
'Share and enjoy'

Post#2 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:58 am

So, my guess was right eh? They didn't give the main oscar awards to the previous LotR movies so they had to give it all at once to the last one. As i said before this is no surprise for me and i even won a LotR : RotK DVD with that guess!

P.S. The LotR Movies Suck

Post#3 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:26 am

Grondy, you prety much posted the same thing i posted in my journals! hahahhahha we think the same... that's scary... well as I said before in my journal I didn't approve some changes and personal things PJ did with the movie, but again I think all the people that hate the movies and PJ "just cuz", should stop for one moment, and think about all the people that worked in it, and how much they worked, I'm sure they did their best, and even thoguht it wasn't perfect, I think we should all appreciate the fact that they brought, or at least tried to bring Middle Earth closer to our reality.
Elen sila lumenn omentilmo,
Cormamin niuve tenna' ta elea lle au',
Amin mela lle.
Arenel Arwen

Post#4 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:16 am

We must look at those 11 Oscars as an award for the entire trilogy, i guess. Ironic that the weakest of the three wins the most Oscars. But ROTK was as bad as Titanic, which also won 11 Oscars, so i guess i can understand it...

Anyway, i wonder why everyone only seems to pay attention to the Academy Awards. LOTR won numerous other prizes. For instance, who can forget the special Ross Award they recieved for best book interpretation?

Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

lord aelric

Post#5 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:25 am

Hmmm i find myself torn between these two camps, the ones that despise the "adaptation" and those that relished and enjoyed it.
The fact that Peter Jackson himself conceded he was never going to fulfill the expectations of the "PURISTS" and instead settled for the middle ground, possibly indicates the overriding rule of thumb in the Hollywood industry, Big investment necessitates bigger returns.
Tis human nature i suppose to find fault with things first rather than favour, I believe it was a brave attempt that succeeded in more areas than it failed (and i, like the detractors can see the abundant omissions that do the written trilogy an injustice) , and it was the first time since the Star Wars Trilogy that i was genuinely excited about the prospect of a monumental series of films, it took me a while to translate my imaginings from book to film, and after several viewings, on the whole i thought the films captured the Essence of Tolkien if [u]not [/u]the exhaustative and sublime detail of the author!

I'd love to see J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson in celebrity DEATHMATCH!!! 'cept one's already got an advantage in already being dead *sighs*

In the Red Corner weighing in at 300lbs(uhm, maybe?), from South Africa, the undisputed Master of Seminal Fantasy Literature J.R.R. "the Blomfontaien Boss" Tolkien...

...And introducing in the Blue Corner, the challenger, from New Zealand, he weighs in at approximately 450lbs and stands 3ft 8inches small, famed for his controversial approach to film (Ach! "Braindead") Peter (the hairy-arsed) "Pygmy" Jackson...

Post#6 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:46 am

300 lbs?!?!? Tolkien wasn't an obese monster! You know how heavy that is!? haha

Anyway, I had mixed feelings during the oscars last night. I am a huge LOTR fan, and of the films. I thought they were superb. Yet I didn't think the last one was the best of all.
As LOTR was winning oscars after oscars, I felt sorry for the other 90% of the people there. They must have felt really left out.
I believe that LOTR deserved some, if not most of those awards, but others I felt the acadamy gave them just because they had spent so much time on the film.

I don't know, I just feel like 11 oscars is a quite bit overboard...they should have called it the 76th Anual LOTR Awards!

iSaAc M.d.

lord aelric

Post#7 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:49 am

"exaggeration is the mother of invention" in terms of deception at least...

Post#8 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:30 pm

I still think FotR was the best of the three and it kept closest to the book... Yet, if they didn't honour it as they should've had two years ago, they might as well do it now... Let the Dominion of 'Rings' begin!
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

Post#9 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:55 pm

This victory is to be savored and celebrated. I am absolutely over the moon over this accomplishment.

Post#10 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:35 am

We won precioussss, yesss, yesss we did my love! All those other nasssty moviessss didn't get bright, shiney Oscar, no precious, no they didn't!!!
I will never raise the white flag.

Return to “The Return of the King”