Extended Editions LOTRs

nickil

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:09 pm

I recently saw all 3 extended editions of the LOTR's on the Big Screen here in NZ, as a way to raise funds for the Christchurch Earthquake. Peter Jackson had a special commentary at the start of the Return of the King, it was really cool, he did it especially for this screening, and he talked about the Battle of Pelenor Fields (Sorry about the Spelling) and how there were 6000 horse or something in the charge, and it actually happened during one War or something which Tolkien knew about were there were actually 6000 horses in the charge, and Peter made sure his graphic designers put exactly 6000 horse on the screen. Pretty cool, that scene is the greatest in movie history I think. Here is a blog I have on the Hobbit Movies, and a cool audio book with pictures.

http://the-hobbit-movie.org/
http://the-hobbit-movie.org/the-hobbit-audio-book-part-i-of-iii/

alana

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 am

hi Nickil,

Yes,That scene was awesome....probably the best in the whole trilogy...there were actually about 250 real horses & riders; the rest were digital.....it was Bernard Hill's idea , just on the morning of filming, to track his sword along the lances of his soldiers...ahh, I cry every time......

brego

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#3 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Yes great scene and a great speech from King Theoden.  Also the music is exceptional during these scenes!  I thnk Bernard Hill is underated in his role as Theoden, I thought he was womderful.

nickil

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Yeah that scene gives me goosebumps, the music was just perfect and the editing is amazing, I would not like to be one of those Orc's with Eomer charging at me with his spear!!

Yeah the casting for the Films was perfect in my opinion.

odette

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#5 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 am

That IS a truly amazing cinematic moment and not even once have I succeeded in watching it with my mouth closed.But 6000 live horses on a set,however massive is a bit hard to believe...but if he said it himself,then it might be true.

And what heavenly music...it seems to be torn between peace and anguish and the thunder of horses' hooves.Intense.

And Nickil,welcome:)

alana

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#6 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:12 am

No, there definitely were not 6000 live horses on set...about 250 live horses; the rest were digital...but it was amazingly well done...you really can't tell......

galin

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#7 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah the casting for the Films was perfect in my opinion 

The people or the horses?

Certainly not Shadowfax in any case... he was grey not white

LadyAlyss

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#8 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 am

not quiet grey yet not white either. more of a pearly grey!...to be precise

Áre Fírmaethor

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#9 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:06 am

The casting was not entirely flawless...I still believe that Christopher Lee would have made a better Gandalf. Forget the fact that years ago, he received Professor Tolkien's blessing to take up that particular role should the books ever be made into films; his voice, demeanor, and appearance makes him a superb Gandalf. He played the part of Saruman amazingly, but the only thing that was off was his voice. In the books, Saruman's voice was soft and persuasive - not deep and commanding as it was portrayed in the films. That was supposed to be what Gandalf the Grey sounded like.

I am not saying that Sir Ian McKellen is a bad Gandalf - no indeed, I think him to be a wonderful wizard. I just would have liked to have seen Christopher Lee as Gandalf instead of Saruman. 

galin

Extended Editions LOTRs

Post#10 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 am

not quiet grey yet not white either. more of a pearly grey!...to be precise 

I meant book Shadowfax was grey (the real Shadowfax)... but film 'Shadowfax' was white -- or white enough to be generally described with 'white' I think.

Return to “The Return of the King”