Questions for ROTK.

Stonehelm

Questions for ROTK.

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Lord Of The Ring is Sauron the Dark Lord.
I will never raise the white flag.

grondmaster

Questions for ROTK.

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

So where does the Lord of the Rings come in?
Sheryl, as Stonehelm has said:
The Lord Of The Ring is Sauron the Dark Lord.
He was the guy who lost the ring in the first movie when his finger was cut from his hand. It is his fiery eye you saw atop of the Black Tower of Barad-Dûr in Mordor. :happyelf:

I suggest you obtain a copy of the first book The Fellowship of the Ring from a friend, the library, or a store. Read it and decide if, like the rest of us, you can't wait to read the other two books as well as The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. :read:
'Share and enjoy'

Sheryl

Questions for ROTK.

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I`m sorry! I got everything wrong! I know all of the things you told me. I should have included in my question what I meant!
I meant, Who is the Lord of the RingS. I know Sauron is the Lord of the Ring, but who is the Lord of the RingSSS? :sad:
I know you find out about Sauron in FOTR, it`s just the title:THE LORD OF THE RINGS, makes me think: why has J.R.R.Tolkien put an S on the end of RINGS, if Sauron is only the Lord of the one ring?
PLEASE HELP ME!
I`m so muddled up! :(

I love you! I love you!
I must say it with all my heart!
I love you! I love you!
I wish we weren`t apart!
You know who I am
I know who you r
I have told u this sweet sumthin
even tho u r afar!

Elanor_J

Questions for ROTK.

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The One Ring makes the owner The Lord of The Rings. If you have The One Ring you can command everything the other Rings of Power does. So it's kind of hard to give an answer to "who is The Lord of The Rings?". It could be Sauron if he gets hold of The Ring, but in a way it could also be Frodo because he decides the faith of the other Rings Of Power when he decides what to do.
Anyway, that's my thought.

Stonehelm

Questions for ROTK.

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good anwer Elanor_J

Sauron created The One Ring so I think he is the true Lord Of The Rings.

grondmaster

Questions for ROTK.

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Right!
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.
He who holds the One Ring has the potential to be the Lord of the Rings.

Lord over the nine rings of the Mortal Men (now worn by the Nazgûl), the seven rings of Dwarf-lords (which Sauron has already gathered), and the three rings of the Elven-kings (which remain hidden until the end of the Third Age).

Sauron and Gollum each wanted the One Ring back for their own evil purposes; Saruman, Boromir, and Denathor each wanted to weild it; Gandalf knowing its evil nature, was afraid to even touch it; and Bilbo, Aragorn, Galadriel, Faramir and Sam each rejected its power. :teacher: nn[Edited on 5/1/2003 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Questions for ROTK.

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Just wanted to add...

The three elven rings were the only ones not touched by Sauron.

Originally, all of the great rings were made by the elves, the Gwaith-i-Mirdain of Eregion.

Sauron tricked the elven smiths into making them, and then made the one ring - One ring to rule them all. It was his intention to dominate all the other races and particularly the elves, by enslaving their rulers (ie turning them into puppets for his own will). But as soon as the one ring was made, the elves were aware of it (Sauron having underestimated them), and tried to hide the other rings.

Gradually, Sauron captured most of them, and after corrupting them, re-released 9 to men and 7 to dwarves (Dwarves proving difficult to dominate, he took most of the dwarf rings back). The elves managed to sucessfully keep three of the rings from Sauron. These were The Three. The Three were not directly under Sauron's will because he had never touched them. Never the less, they were subject to The One, in that when it was destroyed, they lost their power. Rivendel and Lorien faded after the War of the Ring.

However, if Sauron had regained The One, the minds of the bearers of The Three would have been 'laid bare' to him. They would have become his puppets, (unless they quickly took them off). A very frightening thought for Elrond (who never wore Vilya until after The One was destroyed), Galadriel (who was very strong) and Gandalf (who also does not appear to have worn Narya openly).

They decided that loosing the power of their rings was a far better fate than enslavement, and thus helped Frodo in his quest as much as they could.

To get back to the original question: Sauron is The Lord of the Rings, since with The One, he could controll all the others.
"May the Angels Guide"

Stonehelm

Questions for ROTK.

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Gandalf had the third ring, it was given to him by Cirdan.

valedhelgwath

Questions for ROTK.

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Celebrimbor, who forged the three elven rings gave Nenya to Galadriel and Narya and Vilya to Gil-galad. After Sauron's army that had invaded Eriador had been defeated, it was decided Imladris would be the new Elvish stronghold in East Eriador rather than Eregion. At this point, Gil-galad made Elrond his vice-regent and gave to him Vilya. The rings were thus held by Galadriel, Gil-galad and Elrond.

Prior to leading his forces to Mordor in the Battle of the Last Allience, Gil-galad gave Narya to Cirdan for its safe-keeping. Realising his own part in future wars was going to be limited to building ships, Cirdan gave up this ring when Gandalf arrived out of the West, realising it would serve the causes of good better in Gandalf's hands rather than his own.

From a passage in UT
But Cirdan from their first meeting at the Grey Havens divined in him the greatest spirit and the wisest; and he welcomed him with reverence, and he gave to his keeping the Third Ring, Narya the Red.
"For," he said, "great labours and perils lie before you, and lest your task prove too great and wearisome, take this Ring for your aid and comfort. It was entrusted to me only to keep secret, and here on the West shores it is idle; but I deem that in days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that may wield it for the kindling of hearts to courage."

This same passage goes on to say that Gandalf kept the ring ever secret, but it did come to attention of Saruman that he was in possession of it, and that was the beginning of the hidden ill-will he bore to Gandalf.

Return to “The Return of the King”