Elven Procreation (don't read this if you are under 18)

swampfaye

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Animals with longer life spans have less frequent times when they are "fertile" they can bonk their brains out if it pleases them, but they are only fertile certain periods of time. I'd guess that Elves have decades when they are not fertile... Kinda like Vulcans.

Ungoliant

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Haven't read Morgoth's ring, but the bit in Silm about Miriel being consumed in body and spirit was interesting. I don't know whether there were other cases like that though.

swampfaye

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I love Dune, my favorite book... email me if you'd like to chat about that book! (swampfaye@yahoo.com)

But back to elves, I thought they were supposed to be stronger than humans... so why would it take them 200 years to recover from a delivery? I can see how it might be so if the child was also draining her "magic" or "life force"... something like that. Would that make elven women mortal during recovery? Or semi mortal? This is getting too deep for even me....... :)

Rosie

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

nature's way of evening out the odds against the world being run over by the elves? you know, they do live forever and if they could breed like rabbits...

Ungoliant

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Right again, Rosie :). Although that reminds me of something... well...the first Orcs were supposedly Elves that were captured, tortured & corrupted by Melkor, right? And every battle that they've been involved in totally wiped them out, especially the War of Wrath, The Battle of Five Armies, and so on. So how come they always came back in greater numbers? Do Orcs breed like rabbits?

Hey swampfaye, we could always start a Dune thread in one of the taverns. I think theres a couple of Dune fans lurking around here somewhere. I love Dune...was kinda disappointed when I arrived here. First thing I did was go to the desert...didn't see any sandworms...bummer.

Rosie

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

what da hell's Dune? the perfume from Christian Dior?

i reckon sauron figured out a way to mass produce them orcs. a big laboratory with mad scientists runnin' around

Allyssa

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I remember reading somewhere that orcs "breed like flies", which was something that elves considered unseemly. Read more "MR" somewhere. Apparently elves did go through a kind of menapause eventually. There bodies did change over time, as did their spirits (fea). Still not sure about aging. MR might tell us if only we could get a copy.
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Another Dune fan here, saying lets put a thread in! :)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In the movie, you could see how Saruman breeded his Uruk-Hai. Guess it would be the same for Orcs...
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Return to “The Prancing Pony”