Bob's your uncle???

Luthien79

Bob's your uncle???

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hmmm, not sure why they call it a pudding.

Some people, like my Aunt, have it seperate to the actual dinner as a starter. It is large, about plate sized with gravy and onions. Lovely.
Also, if we had any left over, we used to eat them cold with some jam on them, LOL. Taste great sweet or savoury. Thats the beauty to them.

Hmmmm, I could really eat one right now because of that.

Ross!
Some older people round here also say "Booook" and "cooook", as well but it isn't really used by the younger generation.

In my opinion, there is no correct and incorrect way of speaking English. Each area develops it's own accent and slang. That is what a language is, not what it says in books. How do they think the English language itself came about?

grondmaster

Bob's your uncle???

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

How do they think the English language itself came about?
Well you start out with an island made up of many peoples who spoke different dialects who get conquered by the Romans and Latin gets tied into their original vocabulary and then the Romans up and leave and the Saxons invade and bring in their words and then when they are firmly in control along come the upstart Normans and all the French words get tossed in the mix.

Then they fight amongst themselves for another few centuries when somebody finally figures out the world is round, so they build ships and colonies. Next thing you know their people who went out to these colonies bring more new words home, which become incorporated into the language.

Finally, after spending 2000 years in doing all this, we find that we have developed a hodge-podge amalgam of language that has no decent rules for spelling and probably a hundred different local dialects pronunciation-wise. :teacher:

Of course I may be wrong.
'Share and enjoy'

Ross

Bob's your uncle???

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But why is it called a "pudding" when it's not???

Something doesn't have to be a dessert to be a pudding, look at steak and kidney pudding.
Sod off I'm busy!

Luthien79

Bob's your uncle???

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, suppose thats right. There is no strict law that something savoury cannot be a pudding.

Grondmaster! You are probably right, LOL. I had a little chuckle reading that. We do have loads of other languages in our own. Greek, Latin, French and probably more. I suppose most languages are the same but as English is the first language and the most commonly used in a wider range of areas, it has probably had more of this than the others especially in the last few centuries.

Ross

Bob's your uncle???

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ok so that's settled then the origonal question can be put down to one thing.
Us English speaking people talk complete nonsense all the time!
Sod off I'm busy!

grondmaster

Bob's your uncle???

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I resemble that. :elkgrin:
'Share and enjoy'

gimli_axe_wielder

Bob's your uncle???

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can pronounce Laura just fine... but I dunt pronounce it like Lara! :P:

and no I have not had yorkshire pudding....

GRONDY WORSHIPER

Luthien79

Bob's your uncle???

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, at least we understand each others nonsense, LOL.
It's just that the nonsense is different according to where abouts you are.

gimli_axe_wielder

Bob's your uncle???

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Like americans are so easy to understand.. if you count it as english :D

especially them boston types... oi!
GRONDY WORSHIPER

Luthien79

Bob's your uncle???

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, it is still English.

We understand you but Americans wouldn't understand a lot of Brits. Accents in the UK are a lot more varied than they are in the states. Weird eh?

Return to “The Prancing Pony”