Dune

PlasticSquirrel

Dune

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, a stormin' classic by David Lynch. And a mini-series that I haven't seen yet. You should read it Alyssa, it's the sort of thing that Tolkien fans normally like.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Dune

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I saw the Dune books in the book shop, but I didn't buy them. Instead I bought Unfinished tales and the sil. :D Should I buy them? Are they any good? :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

Dune

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes you should buy them, yes they are f***ing fantastic.

swampfaye

Dune

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Two movies... I personally prefer the one with Patrick Stewart... just looked more like Dune (and Frank Herbert did consult on that film). I really didn't care for the scifi channel one. (I find scifi channel does a poor job at movies...)

The book is still my all time favorite fiction novel. If you haven't read it, you really should. It is much better than either of the movies. Very deep and full of things that move you. Very human.

Boring

Dune

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

there are so many DUne books to choose from, which should i read first?

swampfaye

Dune

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ummm.... DUNE!

duh!

(BTW, Don't bother with any of the Dune sequals... but go ahead and read the "house of" books after you read Dune. The sequels were just a sad example of a good writer going insane and his editor unable to resist the money that would flow nonetheless)

Snape

Dune

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The current mini-series on Sci-Fi is kick ass, in my opinion anyway...

PlasticSquirrel

Dune

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well if Taz likes it, then I'm gonna go out on a limb and buy it anyway. I trust his opinion (though I don't know why)

Yummy

Dune

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Plastic, I wouldn't do that. Can't you try to rent it first, or check the website and see if they plan to air it again soon.

I did NOT like the Sci Fi Channel one, and I do not think it followed the book very well, though my memory of the book isn't that good. The actor who played Paul didn't do it for me (not many would after Kyle M.), but I'm a confirmed fan of the movie. I read the book after seeing the movie, and I loved it. I do recommend the original book DUNE. However, I never read the sequels, though I would be interested.

I could be wrong about the accuracy of the sci fi version, but I still found it lacking in entertainment value.

And yes, the Lynch movie does leave out elements from the book, but it's just such a wildly interesting movie. I think it was way ahead of its time in art direction/set design for science fiction. Shoot, before that we had Star Wars where everything was grey plastic, and then the Star Trek series, more of the same grey plastic. In Dune, the sets are made with real wood, real stone, real metal (or made to look like the characters lived in a world where those elements were still utilized), and I think that's realistic. Just b/c plastic is great doesn't mean we want to live with plastic everywhere in the future.

I really love that movie. It was almost the first DVD I bought after getting my DVD player and I've got 2 diskettes of the soundtrack - which is fantastic. [Edited on 25/1/2002 by Yummy]

Return to “The Prancing Pony”