cyber chatter...

Littleirena

cyber chatter...

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I dunno if i might be the only one, but i usually use PPL as people.

:D

:wiggle:

chikakat

cyber chatter...

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

(but please don't go nuts chika

haha...don't worry about it, Remi...I was exaggerating a bit :D

Ross

cyber chatter...

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Poor spelling makes me nuts, especially in forums and things...in chats, it's more acceptable because you're typing quickly and mistakes happen. But not proofreading posts and things is just a pain.

Also, Ross, I'm a physics major and generally science-y sort...if I can manage to spell correctly (most of the time), you can do it, too

I do type fast thats what I'm blaiming now, The truth is still I just suck at spelling. I'm like the Bursar though and can work out an equation instantly, so that surely makes up for my inability to spell or even write coherent sentences!
Sod off I'm busy!

TomBombadillo

cyber chatter...

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree with you lot, but most with Remi (who's changed title apparently? :orchuh: ). It's pretty well hard to type and spell things right in English when it's not your mothertongue. I'm studying English so I'm doing my best not to write too many errors, but they WILL keep coming, I'm sure. In a few years time there will be less maybe, but as for now, I'm typing quite fast and I don't proofread all my posts (slows me down way too much) so if I make any silly spelling mistakes, take into account that normally I wouldn't make them. :smoke:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Ross

cyber chatter...

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeh that sounds like a good excuse being that my mother tounge is talking ballocks!
Sod off I'm busy!

Boromir

cyber chatter...

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ungoliant wrote, in its entirety:
kewl chika, tq. :)

OK, "kewl" is phonetic, and was already explained above neway. ;-) "Chika" is merely a clipping of the addressee's (nick)name, aka "nick." :smoke: But "tq" was a 2-pipe problem 4 me :smoke:, until I searched good ol' Google for
tq rofl imho
and discovered it was merely "Thank you" according to several websites (e.g., http://www.teenwhispers.com/InfoDesk/Internet/abbr.asp . But the dozens of posts following never commented! Is TQ, like ttfn, a particularly British thing?

Semi-tangent: i detest the practice some have of never touching the caps key or using punctuatn except wen they use it incorectly...i can read up to maybe hf a doz lines like that b4 makking a conscious decisn whethr its interesting enuf to keep reeding such mumbling...n gros mispelings do factor in

Whereas when a post is (mostly) correctly spelled, contains capitals and periods, and is otherwise articulating clearly, I generally read compulsively even when I dislike everything else about the post (tone, content, whatever). I don't know how many others are like me, but there must be SOME; so those who want the widest readership would be advised to pay attention to the ease-of-reading conventions.

In case u r a lineal descendant of Don Marquis' archie the cockroach, who typed by diving headfirst from the platen onto one typewriter key at a time, or have some other equally cogent excuse for avoiding caps & punctuation: You'll probably get the most bang for your headbanging (or fingerpoking) with me and my ilk by occasionally hitting Enter once or twice--a great improvement of the computer keyboard over the non-electric typewriter!

Full tangent: If you haven't met archie b4, and especially if you have, please check out the modern pastiche http://filk.buffistas.org/gen_poetry/genpoem_archieroach.html at a Buffy the Vampire Slayer site. I think it's smack on target!

Ile of gramarye

TomBombadillo

cyber chatter...

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Is TQ, like ttfn, a particularly British thing?

I'm sure I would help you out if I knew what your were talking about. :funnylaugh: Netspreak's not one of my best languages (and I consider myself happy).

i detest the practice some have of never touching the caps key or using punctuatn except wen they use it incorectly...i can read up to maybe hf a doz lines like that b4 makking a conscious decisn whethr its interesting enuf to keep reeding such mumbling...n gros mispelings do factor in

:orchuh: I think you most certainly made your point, Boromir, because I had to read that about 3 times over before I got it.

I don't know how many others are like me, but there must be SOME; so those who want the widest readership would be advised to pay attention to the ease-of-reading conventions.

I'm someone who is like you in that way, I guess. I tend to agree with you mostly. Needless to say I can't stand netspreak, or cybertalk or whatever you want to call it. In chat, it's ok (I think someone said that before) because you type fast and make a lot of errors and it's easy to shorten things down, but even there I don't think I've ever used 4's or 8's. those are the ones that bother me most.

Though I don't think I get the archie thing. :orchuh:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

cyber chatter...

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think it's corrupting the nation's youth and making them lazy and grammatically incorrect. My gf's 9 year old daughter corrected my spelling of the word great the other day, saying "I know a shorter way of spelling that, just use an 8" and when I tried to explain to her that that was just dumb, and not proper english it was like I was speaking a foreign language!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Amarië

cyber chatter...

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Kids of today can neither read nor spell. It is sad and so wrong!! :(
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Return to “The Prancing Pony”