HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#1 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:52 pm

:) :) :mad: :)
Sorry, I slipped and hit the wrong key!! woops
ANY WAY:
I wanted to say the usual: "Hey I'm new"
So here it comes:
Hey I'm the newbe, please be kind. :)
I Care a great deal about Tolkien and all of his works, though by most standards I am still new to the whole World he created. I am a fulltime college student, that never sleeps which is why I'm posting soo late! JUST wanted to "jump in" and talk with you guys: so post whatever you want and forgive my slip up!!!

valedhelgwath

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#2 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:12 am

Hi there, Out_Of_Sheol. Welcome to Planet Tolkien. What key did you miss? :hahaha:

please be kind.

Of couse we'll be kind. We're a "family friendly" site..... and once we've got you fattened up, we'll pop you in the pot and eat you :veryevil:

I Care a great deal about Tolkien and all of his works, though by most standards I am still new to the whole World he created.

Anyone who cares about Tolkien will fit right in around here. We have among our membership a wide range of members whose knowledge and experience of Tolkien's work covers a broad spectrum. All are welcome because it's the questions asked by those who do not know something which promotes the answers from those who do. We hope we are a valuable source of information for those wishing to know more.

So, what are you studying? Where you from? There are threads all over the place asking that sort of thing, but you might as well tell us here if you want to.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Vee

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#3 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:08 pm

Hi, I'm new as well and have finally worked out how to post. I've also managed to pop into the chatroom a couple of times - friendly people but no one talks about Tolkien! I love LotR and read it every few years. Had some problems at first with the first film but am now in the spirit of them and love them all. After starting several times and failing to finish I have finally read the Silmarrilion - and need more! Has anyone read The Complete History of Middle Earth and is it any good (silly question) ?

Elfstone

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#4 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:45 pm

A warm welcome to the both of you! Hope you enjoy your time here at PT! :happyelf:

After starting several times and failing to finish I have finally read the Silmarrilion - and need more! Has anyone read The Complete History of Middle Earth and is it any good (silly question) ?

Congrats on finally finishing The Silmarillion Vee! That's my favorite book of all time! As far as more stuff from Tolkien on M.E., I highly suggest reading Unfinished Tales after the Sil (before H.O.M.E.). Have you read The Hobbit (silly question, but I had to ask)? For questions about H.O.M.E., talk to Val. He’s really one of the only “regulars” on this site that has read most of it. FYI, you’ll find that most members on this site have an extensive knowledge of LOTR, The Sil., The Hobbit, and UT, but very few here have treaded into the deep, dark waters of H.O.M.E. yet. Anyway, enjoy your journey!
:read:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Vee

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#5 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:39 pm

Have you read The Hobbit (silly question, but I had to ask)? For questions about H.O.M.E., talk to Val.

I read the Hobbit years ago and tried again recently but the language felt more like Enid Blyton than Tolkien. I am, however, caught in the wonder of Middle Earth and its sadness and need more. HOMEs are on my birthday list. I shall add UT as well. Thanks.

grondmaster

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#6 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:11 pm

Welcome to P-T Out_Of_Sheol and Vee. :happyelf:

There aren't any silly or stupid questions as I've said before, because someone else also wants to know the answers, but have been to timid to ask. And sure the answers may have already been posted somewhere in a lost or obscure post somewhere on this message board, but by bringing them up again a whole new group of members get a chance to share their views and the old ones may get to see things from a different prospective.

Vee: You should definitely read Unfinished Tales prior to starting the HOME series.

Don't plan on the HOME books being a continuation of the joy you have found in the earlier publications. There are parts of these twelve volumes that are very interesting and parts that are dry as dust. There is much that is new, or more detailed, and much repetition, as well as showing the evolution of parts of Tolkien's tales as they developed over the decades of his writing life. However, don't take just my word on this, listen to others who have gotten into them deeper, for I have barely scratched the surface of this series.
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#7 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:39 am

Thanks Grondmaster. UT is now on my list.

I know people who love LotR but cannot bear The Silmarillion and I admit that until I persevered with it I didn't appreciate it either. I certainly do now. The language is beautiful. If HOME is anything like the Silmarillion then I shall enjoy it. But - UT first!

Out_Of_Sheol

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#8 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone for posting :wink:

Valehelgwath:
Don't worry about the "key" :ignore: ) Just a little mistake on my part. But for clarification: the "key" that I was talking about was the "return" button, since I accidentally pressed it before I had a chance to type anything, so I had to post myself, so there would be something written here. (I know silly hobbits!) ;)
Thanks for the welcome though :) .
Here's a little about me:
I'm in my third year at USF (U of South Florida) and I'm studying computer science. So I'm one of those computer geeks :oneeye:
Yet my interests sometimes makes me much of a paradox, for I'm passionately into art of all types: music, (I'm a flutist), voice, theatre, as well as (what people normally think is) art, such as drawling and painting (my favorite art medium is pastels and pencils {so far, but recently I got into colored pencils, and they’re the greatest thing!!! ;) }) .
I also read entirely too much and whenever I have a spare moment, I find myself writing stories (though I have never posted any online :( , but hopefully that will change :) )
I love computer games, but I can't call myself a gamer since I have not played any good ones in a while...
And yes :D , I will have loads of questions to ask all of you guys here about characters, places, events, etc. about Tolkien's World. But hopefully I will be able to answer some questions as well. I find that I tend to pay close attention to details (perhaps that's a good thing or a bad thing, depends on who you ask). When I go about learning something (or if it becomes a passion, which so many things end up becoming) then I will spend enormous amounts of energy studying about the topic to the umpteenth degree. Not that I'm too picky or anal--cause well--being a hobbit, I can't take things too seriously. :D
In short, I like to have fun, but I do have an "addictive" personality, so I basically average out to a (what is the name for them...oh yes) perfectionist.
Let's just say that I make a great fan (whatever that's worth).

Vee:
Welcome to you! Glad to see that we came in together. :cool:

Grondmaster and Elfstone:
I have the Silmarillion, but have not really been dedicated enough to read all the way through, so far I have just been jumping to chapters that drew my attention. As far as the other books you guys mentioned, UT and HOME and even the Hobbit (for that matter), I have not read yet.

Once I read LOTR, I started looking for information about Tolkien (the man), I found that I wanted to know more about his philosophies and his background that inspired him to write his stories. (But that's a whole other topic!!!)
But yes, I do want to read more of his other books, when the time is right.

But, I think I've talked (or typed) enough about myself, so what about everybody else?
To pick a topic, what types of music do you guys listen too?
I’m kind of an 'everything goes", yet on the top of my list would probably be Christian, Techno, Punk, Rock, Pop. (Though mediation music is great).

OR here's a LOTR question: Does anyone know more information on Gildor Inglorion? All that I know of this character is that he was the leader of the Elf band that helped Frodo (by scaring off the Black Rider) while Frodo was still in the Shire.

Vee

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#9 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:30 pm

To pick a topic, what types of music do you guys listen too?
I’m kind of an 'everything goes", yet on the top of my list would probably be Christian, Techno, Punk, Rock, Pop. (Though mediation music is great).

OR here's a LOTR question: Does anyone know more information on Gildor Inglorion? All that I know of this character is that he was the leader of the Elf band that helped Frodo (by scaring off the Black Rider) while Frodo was still in the Shire.

Music - most things except rap. Yo Yo Ma is fantastic. Symposium, Dandy Warhols, Jools Holland, Jim White plus all the old rock stuff and Beatles! Simon & Garfunkel, Bach etc. I *love* choral stuff so the soundtrack to LoTR is wonderful. So many more......

As for Gildor, didn't he become Arwen?

Vee

HEY, I a newbe!!!

Post#10 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:35 pm

Once I read LOTR, I started looking for information about Tolkien (the man), I found that I wanted to know more about his philosophies and his background that inspired him to write his stories. (But that's a whole other topic!!!)
But yes, I do want to read more of his other books, when the time is right.

I had a look at some of the transcripts for the series of teach-ins.... very interesting. Have a look. Are these sessions still going or have they been done to death?

Return to “The Prancing Pony”