Hi, I'm new...... and have a ?

cardthruil

Post#1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:44 pm

Hello,
I'm a new member and just wanted to thow out a greeting. However, i also have a question for those who can answer. I was wondering, as i have been searching, if there have ever been any recordings made of Tolkien reading his books? Weather it be The Hobbit, LOTR, the Silmarillion, etc. I am interested. Please let me know what you can. Thank you and greetings to all.

Cardthruil

valedhelgwath

Post#2 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:38 am

Welcome to Planet Tolkien, Cardthruil. I hope you have an enjoyable stay here.

With regards to your question, I'm unsure whether there are any tapes of Tolkien reading from his books. There are tapes made by the BBC of both the Hobbit and LotR, though, made for their own broadcasts. These are quite old now, but are very atmospheric.

Peredhil

Post#3 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:34 pm

I think I've heard Tolkien reading some Elvish texts, but I don't know where. Try Amanye Tenceli.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

legolaslass

Post#4 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:55 pm

Hey there Cardthruil ! :wavehello:

That is so strange...

I have just come for a quick visit after being @ ebay..... Bidding on such a tape! No, really!!

It's looking good... I'm the highest bidder & it ends tonight!

It's a cassette produced by Tolkien's estate with recordings of 'He' himself reading excerpts from LOTR, Hobbit and him reading a piece of Elvish poetry! (Recorded in 1952 - about 40 minutes long) There is also a piece of music sung by a man whose name I can't recall.

I know it's only excerpts, but still! I too have never heard of anything else he may have done on record.

I'll check back at ebay later or in the morning & if I do win it I'd be happy to make a copy for you, if that's what you were after..... e-mail me at some stage & let me know.

Bye for now.

legolaslass

Post#5 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:43 pm

I've just been back to check - It's actually two tapes I'm bidding on:

1st is Tolkien reading excerpts from LOTH/Hobbit/Silm... This one I'll know about in less than 1/2 hour, when bidding ends (I'm still winning)

2nd is Tolkien reads poems & songs < that is the one that includes the Elvish poem... I'll not know about this one til tomorrow evening, after 7pm. (as above)

Either way - offer is there if excerpts will do ya!

Seeya.

... 1st one is mine! Woo hoo! .. Just to keep you up to date, Cardthruil.

grondmaster

Post#6 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:27 pm

Welcome to P-T Cardthruil, hope to see you around. :happyelf:

The BBC tapes and CDs are adaptations; the one of their LotR is about 12 hours worth of deamatised story. Their The Hobbit is about 4 hours long. They are very good.

Legolaslass: Neat!
'Share and enjoy'

legolaslass

Post#7 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:27 am

Hey Grond/Cardthruil....

< Not a happy bunny! :( Some pr**k has gone & out bid me on that 2nd cassette! Believe it or not - The same p***k has out bid me on a copy of the Hobbit... Guild copy ... Year I was born..... Aaaaagh!

Can you believe it?!?! I think he's got something against me!

All is not lost - The cassette listing ends at 7pm (GMT) so I'll be sitting here at 6:55... watching the minutes pass.... getting ready... TO POUNCE at the last minute! I still have hope! Same goes for The Hobbit, but that isn't til 11pm.. Just have to have another late night & try to get it! I still can't believe it's the same guy! He also out bid me on a copy of Robert Foster's 'Tolkien's Middle Earth' !! Just last night!

Conspiracy theory.... Aaaagh!

Any hoo, the offer still stands, Cardthruil, & y'all wish me luck against this Alan53 - person!

I'll keep you all posted!

Take care.

cardthruil

Post#8 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:11 am

Hello,
Sorry for my delayed reply. This is my first time back online since my post.
Thank you for your replies! Truthfully, I didn't think anyone would reply. Legolaslass, I hope you were not out bid and you got those tapes. That is very cool, I saw those tapes on e-bay as well, and have come across a web site that has many recordings of Tolkien reading poetry and excerpts from his books. I'll post later when I remember the web site if you ae intersted.

Thanks Again,
Cardtheuil

legolaslass

Post#9 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:53 am

Hey Card... Mind if I call you Card - My brain hasn't 'started' yet today & spelling names gets so confusing! :boom:

YES!! That site.... When you get a chance.

I'm afraid I got out bid on the second tape (Poems & Songs) :( :orcsad: , so that site might be handy! Got the first one ok, though, just waiting on delivery.

Will keep y'all 'posted' !

Take care all.

xxx

cardthruil

Post#10 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:58 am

Hey Legolaslass,
Sorry about your being out bid on the second tape. However, it seems that you may have a new hope, as do I. The site with the Tolkien recordings--excerpts from various books:
http://www.jrrtolkien.org.uk/recordings.htm

In addition to this web site, I have found another that brings good news on this topic--this was discover in may of last year so they may be selling them by now or that might not be too far off. Check it out:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk/newsid_3009000/3009839.stm

I think though that once you hear those recordings it will just make you want to hear Tolkien read the entire books--that is how I feel!

About my name, Cardthruil. In consistency with Tolkien's grammatic instructions, it would actually be pronounced Car - Thru - eel (silent D). But whatever haha.

Thanks. Talk to you later,

Cardthruil

Return to “The Prancing Pony”