Fans over Forty

Amarië

Fans over Forty

Post#51 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 pm

Step right up, step right up! Who among you men can beat Val the Mud King? See Vee the Goddess wrestle Legolaslasslasslass in sticky strawberry jelly with vanilla sauce. Get your revenge on deleted post by jelly wrestling a Council Member of your choice! You only need 5 council approved Tolkien related posts to enter! Step right up! Step right up!
:hahaha:
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Vee

Fans over Forty

Post#52 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:03 pm

Who among you men can beat Val the Mud King?

It would be more fun if I wrestled him.

I'll nominate Vee. She is her practically 35 1/2 hour a day anyway.

Hey, I am only here for 30 hours a day!

You should think of taz's sanity before you suggest things like that, my dear RevGrevMcShev. He's already heard enough ideas from me....... wanna hear one of the latest (although the idea itself may not be original)....?

Mugs for Sale! With the PT logo and maybe some art work and things like...

A little fraggle with the words Fraggles Rock or Taz Mania or Talking Tolkien.....

GrevBukMcJern

Fans over Forty

Post#53 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:15 pm

A little fraggle with the words Fraggles Rock or Taz Mania or Talking Tolkien..

Hehehe! I like it! Taz Mania. *sniggers* A must for ozzies! :D The idea is, as you said, not new. Some work was done on the artwork for a PT merchandize range. Look at Ama's site, she made some! Me thinks mugs are more sellable than T-shits and sweaters. Easier to pick the right size for one. Though transport probably becomes more of a challenge.. PT mug-puzzles?

Fraggle rock! *remembers* *starts rocking* Do do dodo dididi do.... :wiggle: :wiggle:
What are you looking down here for?

GrevBukMcJern

Fans over Forty

Post#54 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:16 pm

I think Taz has already created a site in which individual members get to have a far larger imput than they would at most sites on the web. The very fact that he has a suggestions section proves that.
Yes. It is a good site. We like it here, don't we? :D I'm not saying anything bad about this site or about CM's or other members or our beloved webmaster-fraggle. Please don't take what I say as an attack on any of you or this site - it was certainly not intended that way. And hopefully not read that way either.

What started me was the (pretty much universal) wish to have more serious discussions about interesting topics. I felt that the percieved current moderation regime was a hinderance to create and maintain just such discussions. The important word here is percieved. Many of my arguments was countered by Val and Amarie. Which is good. This way we learnt something, which is the reason for discussion in the first place. :D But although my perception might be flawed, it is that perception that influences me and my actions, not reality.

Now, if sufficiently many members have the same perception then that is a problem. There might not be a real problem with the policies or the execution of these, but as long as people perceive there to be a problem, there is a problem. (I don't know if this perception is widespread, but I know I am not alone in having it)

Reading your replies I got a lot of new information on the workings and thoughts of the Council. Which helped a lot! :D Maybe it should be a little easier available? Surely everyone benefits from beeing informed on these issues.

I know the CM's and Taz spend a lot of time and effort on this site, and are off course grateful for that. But if you are constantly short, why not "hire" some more? Surely personell costs are not an issue? :P: I'll nominate Vee. She is here practically 35 1/2 hour a day anyway. :D

:wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:
What are you looking down here for?

Vee

Fans over Forty

Post#55 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 pm

Mugs, mouse mats, bookmarks..... maybe linked to other sites to sell and even eBay as long as the design is Tolkienesque enough. No reason why sales should be limited to members of this site.

rednell

Fans over Forty

Post#56 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:42 pm

When someone instead of attacking the other parts arguments start attacking his/hers person, or otherwise ruins the constructive mood of the discussion, the culprit should in no uncertain terms be told to cool down or get lost

I don't believe in the heavy handed approach as I think it only adds fuel to the fire and it becomes a lose/lose situation. But Amarie and Val have pretty much explained the inner workings of things.
I do apologize for not unlocking the thread sooner. Being over 40, my memory just ain't what it used to me. :)
As far as the games go, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Council did discuss it a few months ago (as mentioned) and the decision was to keep the status quo but to try to enourage some more "Tolkien" discussions. So what if there are threads already on a topic. Everyday, new members are added to our site and they have fresh perspectives to add. When I provide a link, the intention is not to close the new thread but to allow everyone to see what has been shared already, if they chose to read it all (200 posts can be a bit daunting)
When there is something suggested that required technicial skills, I tend to leave that in Taz's ballpark, as I have no idea how to program or how much bandwidth is required. Because of that, I am hesitant to add my opinion to the suggestions as I fear someone may think that,since I am a Council Member and I like the idea that it has a better chance of materializing, or if it doesn't that I don't support new ideas (not sure if I expressed that clearly). I can speak for myself but not for council and not for Taz.
I am afraid that I have not been very dutiful these past few weeks in reading posts and giving members my time and attention that they deserve. I won't bother to go through my long list of excuses, but I will make more effort. :)

Vee

Fans over Forty

Post#57 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:22 pm

As far as the games go, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Perhaps the thousands of middle pages can be deleted?

I can speak for myself but not for council and not for Taz.

"The views expressed above are the view of Rednell and not those of the Council, nor of Taz" after every non Council post?

I'd hate to think you weren't joining in the discussions because of that. Your personal view is as valid and as wanted as much as your Council view.

rednell

Fans over Forty

Post#58 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:10 pm

"The views expressed above are the view of Rednell and not those of the Council, nor of Taz" after every non Council post?

Now a disclaimer never occurred to me. Brilliant! :D

Vee

Fans over Forty

Post#59 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:28 am

Yeah, but you need to put it underneath your post.

valedhelgwath

Fans over Forty

Post#60 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:42 am

I know the CM's and Taz spend a lot of time and effort on this site, and are off course grateful for that. But if you are constantly short, why not "hire" some more?

Precisely what we did a few weeks back, Grev, when we asked Amarie and Elfstone to join our ranks. Under normal circumstances we have no problem keeping abreast things, unfortunately over the past few weeks I have hit a busy time of the year survey and enforcement wise, Grondy has been ill, Elfstone has been moving house, Amarie has been doing exams, Rednell is busy with coursework etc.

Having more Council Members would not really ease the situation (actually I don't think there is a situation as the Council do manage to keep abreast most of what is in our power to oversee). Anything technical that needs doing all falls on Taz, so having more Council Members would actually only worsen his workload (as it is us who keep going to him with requests for editting tools etc).

Also, Taz really does need to feel he knows a member before he can invite them to join the Council. We do afterall have the ability to create chaos arround the site if we accidently or deliberately clicked the wrong button. I think the only way we could really improve on getting things done faster, is if we all turned up on a regular basis to cook Taz's dinner for him and do his cleaning, thus freeing up more of his precious time. Maybe then we should chain him to his PC desk, and allow him no personal life :superscared:

Disclaimer:- This suggestion is in no way the view of Taz, the Council, or myself. If Taz is found tied to his PC, it is by some strange personal desire to be so and nothing to do with me. :grin:

Return to “The Prancing Pony”