Recommend a film/dvd

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#1 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:17 pm

If you've recently seen a film or dvd which you like give it a mention or if it was terrible say why, without giving too many spoilers.

Of course, certificates apply and I wouldn't want to be seen as encouraging anyone to watch a film that wasn't suitable.

I recently watched Shawn of the Dead - a black comedy with shades of Dawn (and Day) of the Dead and 28 Days Later. Great British comedy with actors from Black Books and Spaced and Green Wing - 3 nicely off beat Brit comedies.

I loved the way the main characters managed to miss what was happening around them.... Oh how I laughed!

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#2 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:36 pm

Gladiator : although they're messing up Roman history completely (what? a Republic after Marcus Aurelius' death??), this is a good flick. Enough violence and action to keep the boys awake, enough tear-jerking to keep the girls awake, and some decent acting from Russell Crowe, who makes this movie in fact quite believable.

And if for some reason you don't like Crowe, well then watch the movie anyway as Crowe goes to the Elysium in the end as well. Ave!

I also saw ROTK on DVD recently, but i really can't recommend that flick to anyone : bad bad bad!
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#3 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:59 pm

hero:,noun;the worst movie evermade,as a comparison see Elmer Goes to Cleveland and A Bird Took a Dump on my Car

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#4 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:11 pm

Actually I have a couple films to recommend. Even though this is kinda an old movie it's a great mystery for all yo udetectives out there! :searching: It's called Gosford Park and it has Clive Owen, Maggie Smith and a couple other great actors in it. It's about a murder in an old vacation house in Britain where a bunch of snobby rich ppl have come to have their regular "get-together."(it's actually just a way to get closer to the rich guy who owns the house. Practically none of these ppl work so they get an "allowance" from him every year or so.) They all bring their servants to the summer house and the servants play a big role in the mystery. They're the eyes and ears of the mansion because the rich ppl don't even acknowledge the fact that someone is there. It's really well done and the movie is almost split up into certain types of scenes: the scenes with the "upstairs ppl" (wealthy) and the scenes with the "downstairs ppl (servants)." The one with all the money, and owns the summer house, is murdered one night and it seems like everyone has a motive. It's a movie you have to see once or twice to really understand but it's well worth it. All the actors are great and the characters all have some cool twists to them. :D It's a movie you have to think about so I really like it. (And if you don't like thinking very much, it gives you a headache or something, I wouldn't reccommend watching it.)

i aran

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#5 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:18 pm

I must disagree with Ar-edain37 on his view of Hero. In my opinion, this was Jet Li's best film, and definetely one of the best films of the year. It is first and foremost an art film that makes such beautiful and vivid images through the brilliant cinematography, but it is also a magnificent martial arts film with amazing coreography. The way the story is laid out if very unorthodox, and the director made the movie that much more interesting by doing so. I compare it to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, except 10x more beautiful and visually stunning. If you haven't seen Hero yet,!

Along the same path as Hero, another Asian film: Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman, is also an incredible movie. If any of you are martial arts films fanatics, you are familiar with the Zatoichi series that has been running since the 1970s. The series is accurate with time, and the blind swordsman is now an old fraile man on the outside, but a brave and strong warrior on the inside. The fighting was very, oh....Tarintino-esque, with over exagerated violence in some parts, that kind of added a cheesy, yet effective flavor. The plot is very strong, and it is pizzazed by the hilarious Japanese humour incorpated into the film. The thing about Zatoichi that sticks out the most is the music, and how the film itself synchronizes with the music, I don't want to give anything away, so all I can say is go see it. But you might have a hard time finding it since it is only playing in the smaller art theaters.

Lastly, on a different note, Garden State, writen, acted, and directed by Zach Branff, is an amazing movie. The characterization really portrays true life and how one can find beauty in the littlest things. I don't want to give anything away, but the movie is hilarious, dramatic, and just over all - magnificent. See it!

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#6 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:27 pm

I wouldn't really recomend *the passion of the Christ* to anyone, i watched it over my weekend off. There is nothing wrong with it plot wise, It follows Jesus's death almost word for word from the new testament, But the brutality, violence and senseless cruelty portrayed in this film was enough to turn my stomach. We all know that Christ suffered badly, but Mel Gibson takes it way beyond what is realistic and necessary, No man, the son of God or no, could physically take that sort of punishment and still be able to walk with a cross on his shoulders. I think Mel needs to consider where these sorts of films showing such vivid cruelty are taking us as a race.

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#7 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:38 pm

I haven't heard a good review of that film, not that I have wanted to see it anyway.

I watched Starsky and Hutch on Saturday night. Lots of swearing, so beware the certificate! But a very funny film. I rmember the original series and was a bit apprehensive about it but it was good. Different enough not to be just a rehash. Ben Stiller was very funny..... both leads were funny. Not sure about Snoop whatsit as Huggy Bear though. Good entertainment, good laughs and a nice touch at the end......

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#8 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:46 pm

Hey Rhodry, nice avatar. :happyelf:

This afternoon I went to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It was one great big comic book story from my childhood and was very much fun. I won't say it was camp, like the Adam West Batman movie and TV programs, because the script while one huge cliche wasn't filled with a bunch of smaller ones.

I can't really say how breath taking and crisp the visuals were for in this theater I couldn't sit in the back, but had to sit about six rows from the front, which was much too close for my eyes and neck because it was a huge screen. And I didn't have trouble with the rear speakers blowing me out of my seat in this one.

I liked the story which was more like a Saturday Matinee Serial, except you didn't have to wait until next week to see how the hero/heroine got out of the cliff-hanger. I don't know if I'll go see it again and may not buy the DVD, but I will watch for it when it comes on TV and if I rented movies, this is one I'd look for.
'Share and enjoy'

arwen evenstar

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#9 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:59 pm

I've got to agree with Grondy. I loved Sky Captain. I just got back from Princess Diaries 2 and all i've got to say is what a dumb movie. It was funny, but it was way too long. If u want to see some cute guys or John Rhys-Davies, it would be good, but i honestly thought it needed to be lots shorter.

Recommend a film/dvd

Post#10 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:49 pm

Well...... I've seen two films this holidays. And I'm seeing another two. I've seen Thunderbirds. Well, all I can say is it's weird. If you've watched the puppet series, that is. Well, I think all the characters were better, except Tintin and there WAS no son of Brains. But the Hood was cool. BEUM BEUM!!!!!! (Bad guy music!) and by the way, if you like PINK, you'll love Lady Penelope. But not many people here like pink, I guess. Neither do I. And Parker! The bad dude's bodyguard: "I warn you, I know kung fu, karate, and tai quan do!" (or something like that). Lady Penlope: "And I know Parker." Parker punches the guy in the face. The guy: "Ow! You broke my nose!" Parker: "Yes, that was the intention of the manouvre." And then they have this great big fight. And there was this bit where this bad dude girl was guarding this thingy and Parker put up his fists and then said: "Sorry, can't hit a lady." And then Tintin said: "Allow me." And don't get the idea that it's just lots of fighting. Cause it's not. But anyway, you said not too much trailors.
I'll be back when I've seen Garfield and Shark Tale.

Return to “The Prancing Pony”