Happy Endings

Eryan

Happy Endings

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You made an excellent point Swampfaye about he differences between English (and American) fantasy and fantasy written in other countries.
It's very true and it already has been remarked by others - I recently read a very interesting paper on that same topic. Among others, his postAuthorID pointed out that in countries with a long tradition of freedom and democracy people really believe that all depends on their own efforts, while in totalitarian, oppressive regimes they learn quickly than they cannot really control fully their lives. So happy endings seem to them unrealistic.
But the stories about heroes which are defeated but unconquered, fighting valiantly until the end, were always particularly moving... Do you remember Hector of Troy? Or the last stand of Spartans at Thermopile? Or death of Vercingetorix the Gall (what a shame for Julius Caesar!)? Or death of Roland?

swampfaye

Happy Endings

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

again, those are *histories* not myths...

How about Cucuhlain? Lots of Celtic myths end tragically. I like your point about democracy breeding "happy ending" - maybe this is why English/American movies and culture is so popular abroad.

Allyssa

Happy Endings

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Those are some interesting points about happy endings. I will remember them for discussion at my next class on novel writing.

Have discussed the topic on a marketing level at school. It seems that stories with happy endings sell well, so publishers want to print that sort of thing. I think most people want a happy ending. I like them myself!

I dont think happy endings can be cliche - "...I am just writing an ending for it. I had thought of putting: and he lived happily ever afterwards to the end of his days. It is a good ending, and none the worse for having been used before."
"May the Angels Guide"

grondmaster

Happy Endings

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I remember the ending of a fairytale someone was telling in a movie once.
And they lived happily ever after until they came to a tin bridge which they crossed.
That is the type of happy ending to the Aragorn and Arwen fairytale.

It allows for a bit of realism when the bloom falls from the love affair; when Snow White gets tired of Prince Charming and they go their separate ways; when Cinderella decides she is bored sitting around all day looking pretty and wants to open her own house cleaning business.
'Share and enjoy'

swampfaye

Happy Endings

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's why I prefer the Sam/ Rosie happy ending. No one doubts they will be happy because our expectations for them are not so high as they are for Aragorn/ARwen or Cinderella/Prince Charming. I believe in true love... but it still needs to be tended... just like a garden - and I'm sure Sam's very attentive to his garden of love :) :)

Allyssa

Happy Endings

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's why I prefer the Sam/ Rosie happy ending. No one doubts they will be happy because our expectations for them are not so high as they are for Aragorn/ARwen or Cinderella/Prince Charming. I believe in true love... but it still needs to be tended... just like a garden - and I'm sure Sam's very attentive to his garden of love :) :)

That's really sweet Swampfaye. I see Sam and Rosie in a much better light now. And Plastic thought I was odd for liking Sam....give me a romantic anytime! :D ;)
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Happy Endings

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes - but when Rosie was dead Sam (instead of dying and following her) went to Valinor to Frodo!!!

grondmaster

Happy Endings

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But his trip to Valinor was probably just a temporary side trip on his way to be with Rosie for the duration. :)
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Happy Endings

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Who knows, who knows?

swampfaye

Happy Endings

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It was a detour... a shortcut

shortcut to what? (hehehe)

Return to “The Prancing Pony”