school stuff...please read this

Eryan

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Can you imagine that I don't know what are brand names and generic stuff?!!!!

Allyssa

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Do you only want responses from The USA or worldwide?

I use some generic brands, but you would not recognise the name brands that I use, so I dont know if that would be helpful or not.

It might be interesting for your essay to mention that true Aussies do not eat any brand of yeast extract other than true Vegemite. Marmite, Assiemite and so on, just do not have the same flavour.

The irony is that "Vegemite" no longer belongs to an Australian company - it is American I think! :disturbed:nn[Edited on 4/6/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I only buy the cheapest thing I can get, brand names mean nothing to me.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Halo_Black

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

er...sorry to ask a stupid question, but... what does generic mean? :(

chikakat

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

ok, so since I'm really not that good at explaining things, I think the best I can do is to give an example of what I mean...

Think of when you go into the store. If you look in the aisle with soda (or pop or whatever your regional word for the thing is) in it, you see Coca-Cola, which is something everyone has heard of (or most people, at least). It's very familiar, a best-seller, and probably one of the more expensive varieties of soda. That is what a name brand item is. If you look around some more, you'll see some soda that either has the store name on it, or a name you haven't heard, or even just the word SODA on it. They're probably cheaper and maybe not packaged quite as nicely as the Coca Cola...these are your generic items. (if this example doesn't work out overseas, let me know...I'll try and do better)

The object of my paper is to apply a set of sociological or psychological theories as to why people buy name brands...it doesn't really matter what brand you think of, or where in the world you are - just let me know why it is that you pick, for example, Coke over the 'SODA' soda or vice versa...is it peer pressure (i.e. you're not cool if you drink SODA soda)? or do you worry about quality? or price? And Allyssa - do you think the reason that the reason Vegamite is more popular truly has to do with the taste, or does it have to do with the stereotype you described - that people who eat Vegamin are "true Aussies"? (Mind you, I don't really know what I'm talking about here...I'm mostly trying to get a feel for what sort of theories I can come up with)

Hope I cleared things up a little bit at least...

valedhelgwath

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

On the whole, I avoid brand names because they are just expensive versions of other products. In some cases they may taste better than other brands, but often the price does not justify buying them. At the end of the day you are just paying for a large slice of advertising.
Clothes are slightly different in that you advertise to the world what you wear and generally you want to look good. Clothes also portray an image. I tend to wear a specific make of jeans, but that is as far as I go. I still wear the same leather jacket that I bought twenty years ago. There again, my image doesn't need brand name items of clothing. Scruffy jeans and leather jacket will do.

grondmaster

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I wouldn't dream of buying anything with the Nike swoosh or any other brand name printed or embroidered on it; well my jacket does say "Lands enD", but they aren't spending millions in advertising.

I usually buy generic unless I think the brand name provides better quality for the money, more bang for the buck, is a better value. I buy brand name soda pop when it is on sale, and as some brand is usually on sale, I usually end up with it rather than the store brand. I buy generic prescription drugs when I can including store brand Acetaminophen (Tylenol ®).
'Share and enjoy'

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Definitely price over a brand name.

Eryan

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, now I see what you mean Chika!
I am making attention to brand names in the following context:
(1) cosmetics
(2) alcohol
(3) prescription drugs
(4) coffee
(4) audio/video equipment
(5) shoes (but only because I learned that expensive shoes are many times as durable as cheap ones!)

I am not making any attention to brands when buying any other products. In particular, I do not advertise my rank by brand names on my clothing. I feel here exactly like Valedhelgwath! nn[Edited on 5/6/2002 by Eryan]

PlasticSquirrel

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Most of my wardrobe comes from charity shops, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! Great bargains. Though some might say my T-shirt collection is advertising as nearly all of them are from pub promotions and have brand name lagers and beers and spirits etc. all over them. And I also still have the same Leather I bought 10 years ago (though I just got given a shiny new spare one by my brother who no longer wants it).
I must admit, I may be nigh on 25 years old, but I still get my Brother's old clothes, as he is a fashion victim and only keeps them a matter of months.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “The Prancing Pony”