Where has it gone...

Gimli_man43

Where has it gone...

Post#1 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:38 pm

I've been thinking lately how small it seems the PT community has gotten. :orchuh: I hardley ever see some of the people from when I first joined, like LeeLee and Rednell, etc. There have been many newcomers to PT but in about a week they stop posting, though at the top of PT it always says that there are 100s of people. I just wondered if I could get some insights or opinions. :elf:

P.S. Loss, if you read this, why did you take off your avatar? I thought it was a pretty good picture. I'm sure you have a good reason, though! :orcgin:

icefangs

Where has it gone...

Post#2 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:53 am

I remember the good old days of PT. It kinda makes me sad thinking back on it...I can remember way back, before it got this layout...and it was like, a white page with a green header maybe...man.
I know what you mean about the flaky newcomers, like, "Oh hey! This is cool!" and then their ADD takes hold and away they go...prolly to play with rocks or somethin...
I think that # of people online thing might be the number of people currently surfing the site, not members, just, people, but...I could be wrong...

Gimli_man43

Where has it gone...

Post#3 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:57 pm

I think that # of people online thing might be the number of people currently surfing the site, not members, just, people, but...I could be wrong...

I thought that too, but every time I log on it says their is one more person, not when I get to the site. But, yeah, these newcomers should really stay and see this website at its full potential.

gandalf-olorin

Where has it gone...

Post#4 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:03 pm

I have been here for a few years now--just haven't posted much lately. But I think I've made some good friends here. Take care all.

Gandalf

cloveress

Where has it gone...

Post#5 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:55 pm

The good old days! Yes, I remember some of them, too, though I'm by no means an elder in PT like Grondy or Vee. I think there was a wave of passion for Tolkien when the movies came out, which led to a huge influx of members who've JUST read the books and were, of course, awed by Tolkien's mythology. So everyone had a lot to say back then. But now, it seems like most of the topics have been exhausted, and everyone's cooled down to Tolkien stories.

It'll all come back again; don't worry! Middle-Earth is too good a place to be away from for long. Even when you're busy, you sometimes see that old, tattered edition of The Fellowship of the Ring on your shelf and you just feel the urge to reread it because you're sure that it's been so long (even though it's usually just nine or ten months) and there must be something in there that you missed the first few times. And the magic is renewed every time you read it.

Loss

Where has it gone...

Post#6 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 am

I've been a member for about 3 years, (later on this year) and I remember some of the 'old' members from 'long ago' from the likes of Vee and Morambar... Good times :happyelf: I'm sure that one day though, some of the dormant members would remember PT and return to have a nosey, like 42 does every now and again and Laurelindhe Ilmarin *waves*...

I expect the new Hobbit films will spark more interest from people who enjoyed the films like most did when LOTR came out, plus jog the memory of the 'old' members... Always look on the bright side of life *whistles* They'll come back ;)

P.S. Loss, if you read this, why did you take off your avatar? I thought it was a pretty good picture. I'm sure you have a good reason, though! :orcsmilie:

I know, it's terrible! As most know, I help alot of people out with avatars, and I test them on my own account to see if they would work, and I was helping out a new member, but in the process I couldn't upload my own back up... CM's are dealing with it, but I'll wait until then :elfbiggrin:

Speaking of CM's... I was having a look around the older threads and this member caught my eye: Gypsyjolie, 4th post down... Who was this 'newbie' CM? :orcsmilie:

grondmaster

Where has it gone...

Post#7 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:28 pm

As I remember our then new CM, Gypsyjolie was to be Grep's right hand woman to help out with the website programing, like she was working on the Gallery and had gotten it in pretty good shape. Then Grep moved back to England from the Midwestern States and she got lost in the translation or transition, or whatever. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

icefangs

Where has it gone...

Post#8 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:29 am

I suppose you guys are right, it will come back, I can't wait till then. But until then, I'll still be haunting the forums...heh heh

I know I'm not one of the oldest members, but I have seen the site for a long time and be sitting here, waitin, to meet and greet some new faces!

Amarië

Where has it gone...

Post#9 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 pm

CM's are dealing with it, but I'll wait until then

Yeah, the problem was far more complicated than Grep thought/hoped. But One Glorious Day we'll have our faces back. Not to mention my CM label. *sniff* (In the mean time: try not to mess too much with your avatars, people. ;) )

I suppose you guys are right, it will come back, I can't wait till then.

Yes, we've had slow periods before. But now the RPGs are quiet too, and that is something new. I am glad to see that people haven't really left us, but are still hanging around.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

rednell

Where has it gone...

Post#10 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm still lurking in the forums and journals. ;)
Between work and dog training, I have little time or energy left to add much to the discussions.
My house looks more like a storage warehouse these days, as I am renovating and storing my daughter's belongings while she is teaching in China. Hence, I can't readily access my Tolkien collection to verify facts before posting.
I can't wait until I retire and have lots and lots of time to sort out the clutter and find my books.
Someday.....

Return to “The Prancing Pony”