Music: Inspired by Tolkien

rednell

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I somehow missed this post the first time around. I have a CD by Rick Wakeman called Landscapes of Middle Earth. It really doesn't do too much for me. Sounds just like all the other new age electronic music that is out here.
I do like the Middle Earth album by Bob Catley (Magnum).
I haven't had much luck downloading he music by Patrice Deceuninck cause my Real Player seems to be messed up at the mo. But I will give it a listen as soon as I get sorted out.
btw, there is not a problem with your thread here, however, it may have gotten more notice in the music thread in the Golden Perch tavern. I could move it there if you would like. :)

Saruman

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've just started a topic on the same subject.Though i put it in the wrong forum as Rednell already knows(sorry again).
It'll be moved down here soon.
Anyway back to this topic,as i said in mine one song by Led Zeppelin called Ramble On has to be inspired by Tolkien because of some of the lyrics.
Read my topic to see what the lyrics are.nn[Edited on 8/11/2002 by Saruman]

rednell

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Not a problem, Saruman. Directing you here just saved me typing out all the information.
btw, if you want to listen to snippits of Catley go to this site:
http://www.nowandthen.co.uk/catley.html
nn[Edited on 7/10/2002 by Rednell]

valedhelgwath

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Rush did several tracks on their early albums that had references to Tolkien such as in, Rivendell, The Necromancer and I think, Lakeside Park. There are a few more Zeppelin ones too. Wasn't Misty Mountain Hop about Middle Earth, or was that more about a foggy day in Wales?

I have an album by someone called Bo Hansson entitled Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings. I'm not that keen on the actual music, but there's an excellant picture on the cover of the Witchking overlooking Isengard.

Saruman

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think maybe Battle of Nevermore by Zeppelin might also be influenced by Tolkien.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, I got the Bo Hansson LP, I think it's really very good though Val. And Nevermore was Tolkieny "The Ringwraiths are out in black" was a dead giveaway. Misty Mountain Hop, was just in the title, songs about getting wasted in the sunshine. Erm... that's all I can think of for now, I expect Richie Blackmore's recent stuff might have some references, as would all Chris De Burghs crappy songs about Trolls and elves and sh*t.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

valedhelgwath

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, I got the Bo Hansson LP, I think it's really very good though Val.
I'll have to give it another listen then, Plastic. I bought it about twenty years ago in Germany and only gave it the one listen. My tastes have mellowed somewhat in that time.

I'm not sure he uses Tolkien specifically, but Ronnie James Dio is hooked on his elves and wizards.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm not sure he uses Tolkien specifically, but Ronnie James Dio is hooked on his elves and wizards.
and really, really sucks, you have been warned.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Elven_Archer

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can think of 3: Ramble On, Misty Mountain Hop, The Battle of Evermore. All By Led Zeppelin.

Awedan

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think there was a good deal in the 60's because that's when the book got popular. The hippies loved it. "Gandalf for president", "Long live Frodo Baggins".

Return to “The Prancing Pony”