Lord of the Rings quiz

scorpio1990

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 am

Hi fellow Middle-earthers

Really not sure where to post this but this is a quiz that I have done, thought of the questions myself. It's easy and just a bit of fun! See how you get on and enjoy! 

http://www.hjcronin.com/?p=63 H   (This is my own website  and is perfectly safe, I have created it for my book but also write about fantasy)

curufinwe

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:33 am

Nice quiz, Thanks for posting it and welcome to PT.

A few points, one of the questions is "What race is Aragorn" and one of the answers is "Human", and another, "Numenorean". Yet Aragorn is both. Though to be honest I don't think Tolkien refers to them as Humans but as the race of Men. Another point is that Fangorn is actually in Rohan, so I'm not sure if that still qualifies as being close or not. Anyway, thanks and welcome.

curufinwe

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#3 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 pm

wink Just realized that Aragorn isn't Numenorian, since he wasn't born on Numenor. Sure, he had the blood (a bit faded) but he was just human, or, if you prefer, Dunedain. Just wanted to point that out.

scorpio1990

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#4 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm

R.E Aragorn, it is a very fragile one, he has elf blood in him not making him full human nor elf so therefore he is Numenorean in my opinion, yes he represents the race of men in the fellowship but he is actually part of a dying line of Numenoreans

glorfindel

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#5 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:11 am

For me, I believe Aragorn should be a human. The reason is because Numernarian isn't a race in the same sense as elves, dwarves, and Men/humans. It would be considered as a culture or the title given to people of a certain country. They may age slower than other Men/humans but they are still counted among Men/human. It would be the same as asking, "what was the race of Feanor?" And answering it with Nolder.

curufinwe

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#6 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 am

Yes, Aragorn is the king of Gondor, a settlement of Numenor, but Gondor wasn't really established until after the destruction of Numenor, and, furthermore, Aragorn was not born on Numenor. It's like calling someone from America European, because America was once a colony of European countries.

Then, of course, there is the fact that Numenorian is not a race in the sense that human or elf is.

glorfindel

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#7 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere, Elendil made it clear that they shouldn't be called Numernarians. I think it had something to do with the choice of being exiles and/or the lost of Numernarian kingship.

curufinwe

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#8 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 am

Actually, Elrond does no such thing (to my knowledge). However, during the council of Elrond, while he's speaking of the history of the men of Numenor, he says:

And ever since that day the race of Númenor has decayed, and the span of their years has lessened.

In the North after the war and the slaughter of the Gladden Fields the Men of Westernesse were diminished…and the blood of the Númenóreans became mingled with that of lesser men.

So it seems that Numenorian is an actual race. However, he is also a human, (despite his few drops of elven blood). So maybe some modification of the question? Perhaps:

What of the following best describes Aragorn?

He is an Man (Human)

He is an Elf

He is an Númenórian

But then, best is a somewhat subjective term, so maybe that's not the best idea.

glorfindel

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:23 am

Curufinwe,

As I said before, I'm sure if it was true. But you posted "Elrond did no such thing" was it a typo? Because I said Elendil, not Elrond. Second, what Elrond said during the council, (within context) he was referring to the bloodline of Numernarians, and not of an actual race as in Men, elves and dwarves.

glorfindel

Lord of the Rings quiz

Post#10 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 am

I apologize for the strange format. I'm using my phone to post things here. Somehow I can't post separate paragraphs.

Return to “The Prancing Pony”