Wormtounge - Wormtail
Merry & Pippin - Fred & George
The Ringswraths - The Dementors
Troll in Moria - Troll in the dungeon

Do some of you got more?

Amarië

Parralells

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Not bad. But the Lord of the Rings is Sauron.. ;)

The quenya word for snake is hlókë or lókë , Loke was one of the Norse gods (half-god) and he was quite sneaky. He lied and played tricks on the other gods and was the father of the huge snake that layed curled around Middle-Earth swollowing ships that went to close to the egde. I find that quite amusing. :D
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Amarië

Parralells

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

He probably did. Silly me. ;)
"Don't complain under the stars

about the lack of bright spots in you life."

Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Stonehelm

Parralells

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find parralells between Tolkien and every fantasy book I read now, I mean wasn't Tolkien the maker of the word 'Orc'? I see orcs in everything now.
I will never raise the white flag.

Einar

Parralells

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I know.The orcs are in so many video games today. Like the Warcraft games and many R-P games. nn[Edited on 21/1/2003 by Einar]

rednell

Parralells

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find parralells between Tolkien and every fantasy book I read now, I mean wasn't Tolkien the maker of the word 'Orc'? I see orcs in everything now

From Tolkien's Letter #144
Orcs (the word is as far as I am concerned actually derived from Old English orc 'demon', but only because of its phonetic suitability) are nowhere clearly stated to be of any particular origin. Burt since they are servants of the Dark Power, and later of Sauron, neither of whom could, or would, produce living things, they must be 'corruptions'. They are not based on direct experience of mine; but owe, I suppose, a good deal to teh goblin tradition ( goblin is used as a translation in The Hobbit, where orconly occurs once, I think), especially as it appears in George Macdonald, except for the soft feet which I never believed in.

So I think Tolkien was probably the first to use the word 'orc' in fantasy fiction as we know it, but he did not coin the word, nor the concept, since he has based them on the goblins created in MacDonald's tales.

Lurtz

Parralells

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In Norweagian mythology, there are some creatures called "Jotner". And from paintings, they look and acts like orcs. and since Master Tolkien study mythology, it seems logical that he got inspiration from these creature.

(or pherhaps not!)

Samwisegamgee

Parralells

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

From Tolkien's Letter #144
Orcs (the word is as far as I am concerned actually derived from Old English orc 'demon', but only because of its phonetic suitability) are nowhere clearly stated to be of any particular origin. Burt since they are servants of the Dark Power, and later of Sauron, neither of whom could, or would, produce living things, they must be 'corruptions'. They are not based on direct experience of mine; but owe, I suppose, a good deal to teh goblin tradition ( goblin is used as a translation in The Hobbit, where orconly occurs once, I think), especially as it appears in George Macdonald, except for the soft feet which I never believed in.

It's interesting you brought this up, Nell, because I was reading another letter in which Tolkien was pointing out mistakes in a screenplay for Lord of the Rings by Zimmerman. Tolkien complains because Z. put wings and beaks on the orcs, because 'orc' resembled the word 'auk', a type of bird.
This is an interesting topic Lurtz, you always seem to be thinking up good threads! ;)

Lurtz

Parralells

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thank you Sam!
Its a gift! :funnylaugh:

Return to “The Prancing Pony”