Fantasy/Sci fi for Dummies

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Terry Brooks Shanarra books go in this order:

Sword of...
Elfstones of ....
Wishsong of ....

Sword of is heavily influenced by Tolkien themes, so you may enjoy that one the most, though Elfstones is my personal favorite.

You may also enjoy (for a unique and fresh style of writing) RA Salvatores "Crimson Shadow" series (which starts with "Luthien's Gamble").

Another one of my favorites is David Eddings "Belgariad". Very good series.

Don't get involved in Wheel of Time unless you never want to be rid of it... it's like STar Trek, it goes on and on and on and on and on

Piers Anthony and Jany Wurts have a great series together.

Anne McCaffrey has some great sci fi (I say it's sci fi "for women")

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The fantasy world is a mine field full of lots of bad stuff. Try and avoid getting into postAuthorIDs who have t write 15 volumes before you find out anything.

Brooks is fun but a litlle "adolescent" but lots of humour.
Try "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" first 3 books written by Stephen Donaldson. Interesting.
Gene Wolf is good but closer to science fantasy
Raymond Feist wrote The Magician which is good and then wrote a while load of really bad follow ups.
Ursula le Guin is a great writer and wrote in various genre including fantasy (The Earthsea Chronicles) and science fiction (I just started the Dispossessd under Squirrels advise!)
Brian Aldiss wrote some great stuff - sort of fantasy Arthurian stuff.
Mervyn Peake is great, but is closer to old English literature traditions like Swift etc so not everyons cup of tea.
Jack Vance wrote some great stuff also.
I don't know the new school of fantasy writers. Try some of the great science fiction writers, A.E. Van Vogt, Asimove, Philip K. DIck, Heinlein different but worthwhile.
All of above of course, are personal tastes.

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Larry Niven, any and all.
And Douglas Adams of course....
:)[Edited on 15/2/2002 by 42]

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I loved Anne McCaffrey 'Dragon's of Pern' series, especially the three musical spinoffs, as well as her 'Crystal Singer' books and 'The Ship that ...' series. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree, the Pern books are wonderful. And the Harper Hall trilogy is my fave within that series, with Dragonsdawn a close second.

I lean more towards fantasy than scifi (although Elizabeth Moon has done some good military scifi that I've liked), so...

Ellen Kushner- she's known for mostly short stories and as an editor, but she's written a couple of novels, Thomas the Rhymer and Swordspoint. Both are wonderful. (I've also seen mentions of a book titled Basilisk, but I haven't read it and I can't get details. Sorry)

Sharon Shinn- wonderful stuff, especially Archangel. It has two sequels, both good as well.

Robin McKinley- I love this postAuthorID. You might not, but hey. My favorite books of hers, The Blue Sword (one of my faves of any kind) and The Hero and the Crown, are technically for teenagers, not because they're shallow but because they're short. The Blue Sword, especially, reads like some weird child of Tolkien, The Sheik, and Lives of a Bengal Lancer, with a girl hero.

Connie Willis- pretty much all good. I favor Doomsday Book since it involves the plague. To Say Nothing of the Dog is just as good, though, and she's written lots more.

James Morrow- but not if you're easily offended, religiously speaking. Towing Jehovah- God dies and falls into the ocean, so he (He, I guess) has to be moved. and its sequel, Blameless in Abaddon- God's body is now the main attraction in a theme park. Only Begotten Daughter- Julie Katz, half-sister of Jesus, grows up in Atlantic City. This is the Way the World Ends- nuclear holocaust, naturally (a bit dated since the end of the Cold War, but good). plus several others. Funny, bitter, very sharp satire from a scarily smart man.

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Don't read as much sci-fi/fantasy as you others I fear. But if it's funny you want (while still a little on the fsf side) then go for Robert Rankin, Tom Holt and Rob Grant (unless you've never read Dougy Adams in which case why not?)
*has just realised he's actually in much the same boat as Golly* for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Wow! Thanks everyone! It's great to see so many names of postAuthorIDs & books flying around - and at least I can print it all out in one page & take it to the bookstore with me. Hooray! This dummy's going places! :D

Don't know any of them except Dougy Adams. But I read his stuff so long ago that I forgotten them - might as well buy his stuff again too.

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I hope its not too late to warn you about Salvatore. His earlier works are far better than his later ones. You might like The Dark Elf trilogies written for Forgotten Realms. The main character is also a real babe. All his stuff is a bit pulpy, but good.

For mature womens fantasy, you really should try Melanie Rawn or Sara Douglas or Cecilia Dart Thornton. I met Cecilia recently. Lovely person as well as talented writer. Not to mention beautiful! *sigh* some people have it all.......
"May the Angels Guide"

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ooh, Melanie Rawn. Good choice! And I just got a Cecilia Dart Thornton book from a friend, so it's good to hear she's good.

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I enjoyed the Dark Elf Trilogies. I think I have three volumes each containing three of the novels.
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”