SF-cartoons

SF-cartoons

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Never heard of any of them!

PlasticSquirrel

SF-cartoons

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ullise? Ulysses 42 you mean? With the stupid red robot and the really annoying theme tune? Yeah, very funny. And add Battle of the Planets to that list.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

gnampie

SF-cartoons

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Plastic, it is indeed written Ulysses. Thank you for correcting that. But it is Ulysses 31 and not 42. :)
My favourite was Goldorack and Captain Hadock (alias Albator).

These are Japanese cartoons, except for Captain Flam which was American. The main theme of the stories is somewhat the same: the Earth being threatened by evil creatures, robots or 'humanoides'.

I don't think I ever saw Battle of the Planets.

I have done some research on the internet and it seems I have been giving you the French names (I used to watch these cartoons on a French TV channel).
Goldorack should be known as Grandizer in English, Albator is Captain Harlock (and not Hadock) and Captain Flam is called Captain Future in English.

[Edited on 19/4/2002 by gnampie]nn[Edited on 19/4/2002 by gnampie]

Allyssa

SF-cartoons

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I used to watch Battle of the Planets. Is it still screened somewhere in the world.

I thought it was quite good actually. Especially the bit about Kronus being Mark(?) 's father. I always felt sorry for Keops, the little kid who talked funny. The best visual bit was the firey pheonix.

The helmets and costumes were a bit over the top though.

Anyone seen Mummies Alive? About a group of mummies that come to life to serve the purpose of good and save the world and all that and to protect some little kid who is supposed to be the heir to the throne of egypt or something. Some good humour.

Lets not even get into transformers or those toxic waste creatures.
"May the Angels Guide"

Halo_Black

SF-cartoons

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Whoa! gnampie! You've just named a load of cartoons I've never heard of...mind you, I mainlt watched fantasy cartoons, like He-Man, Thundercats and Dungeons & Dragons.
Oh, Allyssa? Don't even get me started on Mummies Alive, I just love that :disturbed:

nn[Edited on 22/4/2002 by Grondmaster]

TomBombadillo

SF-cartoons

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

*just being annoying* : Halo: what's a spleen? :hahaha:
Seriously: I have no idea!

I never watched any of these cartoons, I guess, because I never heard of them! :ignore:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Halo_Black

SF-cartoons

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Whats a spleen? I dunno *goes to Yahoo and looks up "spleen"* Aha! Check this out TomBombadillo
The spleen is a large organ of the lymphatic system working with the thymus, lymph and bone marrow. It is located on the left side of the body between the fundus of the stomach and the diaphragm, and weighs between 4-16 ounces. It is vulnerable to being injured by fractures of the 9th, 10th, and 11th ribs, and it is one of the few organs whose metabolic rate isn’t controlled by the thyroid.

...ewww, sounds yucky, I still like useing the word Spleen though, it sounds funny :grin:

[u]Link 'o' Spleen![/u]
http://www.myvits.com/bodymech/bodymech-spleen.htm nn[Edited on 22/4/2002 by Grondmaster]

TomBombadillo

SF-cartoons

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Aha. Thanks Halo. But what's that got to do with your sig. (still dontgetit). :paranoid: Think I'm going a bit gaga. (well, going...) :wary:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

SF-cartoons

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thundercats! *rofl* Now that was funny, as was He-man and D&D. Battle of the Planets is still shown on Bravo, and was really, really bad. Given that they ripped off Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon. Captain Haddock was the guy who always said "Blistering Barnacles" in Tintin wasn't he?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

gnampie

SF-cartoons

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, you're right about Captain Haddock Plastic.

The cartoons I was refering to were on TV from 1977 till 1985 (or something like that) at least in Belgium and France. They were very popular at the time. He-man and D&D came later I think. So maybe that's why you never heard of them. Anyway, in case you're interested, each year at New Year's Eve they are playing some episodes at a French TV channel.
The story of Captain Harlock is very beautiful!
I know these cartoons are also known in Canada and somehow the French versions are better compared to the English versions.

You can look for more information on following website:
http://www.vex.net/~guru/goldorak/goldorak.htm

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”