Films (RetopicViewed, rants & anything else)

ProgHead777

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, I saw me a good scary horror flick, at long last! In fact, it's the film that started this whole thread- Dog Soldiers. Now, I went in very skeptical. The first I heard of this movie was back in the summer when it was aired on TV on the Sci Fi channel. I didn't actually watch it because, most of the time, Sci Fi only shows really really bad low budget, direct to video stuff. Little did I know, this film was a semi-major theatrical release in Britain. Why it was given such poor treatment here in the US, I'll never know.

The only bad thing is that I downloaded it and it was one of those "Videotaped in a movie theater" jobs. The quality wasn't so bad I couldn't enjoy it... But it left a lot to be desired. I checked it out and the DVD is available now so I'll have to see if I can find it to buy.

Good werewolf movies are in desparately short supply. I can say with confidence that Dog Soldiers is easily the best in the genre since the original The Howling. In fact, I would rank DS above The Howling in a heartbeat.

Besides the good old lycanthropes themselves, this flick has something else desperately lacking in recent American horror films: SUSPENSE! I was actually scared!!! Can you believe it? When was the last time you saw a movie that actually made you cringe and jump? I can't even say.

So, basically what I'm saying is, from now on, lets let the Brits make the horror movies! :)

Plastic,
I was going to d/l Cannibal Holocaust on your recomendation, but I looked around on the net for a little more info about it and, I have to say, I chickened out. I think, after watching Dog Soldiers, I've seen enough intestines for a while. Plus, the term "disturbing" was used by some people that seemed to think Dawn of the Dead was a downright lighthearted romp... I think I'll pass for now :funnylaugh: nn[Edited on 15/12/2002 by Rednell]
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, I wasn't going to bother going to see that, but gore you say? Okay, you got me, I'm off to the pictures again...
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay, I would like to review the movie "Patch Adams". I know its old, but if it is not on TV where you are, get it on video. It was the second time I had seen it, but I had forgotten how good it was! Balled my eyes out all over again, especially the murder bit.

Strange though, in one of the early scenes, there is a man committed to an asylum because he imagines he is under almost constant attack from squirrels. Patch assures him that squirrels are cute and friendly and nothing to be afraid of, but for some reason I kept thinking of Plastic.... (j/k) :hahaha:
"May the Angels Guide"

Allyssa

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Would also like to rave about my two most favourite films.

Finding Forrester - a real inspiration to writers. I recommend it to the whole Guild! Or just go to see it for Sean Connery.

The Green Mile - (with Tom Hanks) My number one favourite movie.
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Got to agree with you, Allyssa, about the Green Mile. I saw it for the first time last week. Not quite what I expected, but all the better for not being.
Who'd have thought Tom Hanks would have become such a great actor after his "geekish" roles during the eighties (I'm not saying they weren't good; just not great)

gnampie

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Films I really liked are:

The English patient
Gladiator
Le pact des loups (the English title was Brotherhood of the Wolf) A french movie, but very good! Did anyone see this one?

Allyssa

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Seen The English Patient. Cried my eyes out.

Haven't seen the other one though
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But the English Patient was terrible, and dull, and complete arse. The only good bit being that bit where she bangs her head on the scaffold for no apparent reason, laughed my bits off at that.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The English Patient is definately a chick-flick. We girls do so love a romance!

I still prefer movies of the "Good Will Hunting" and "Finding Forrester" genre to romance though.
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Englsh Patient left me cool, totally cool.
But I liked a lot an earlier film of S. Zaentz (yes it was him who produced the English Patient), if I remember well, its title was "Playing in the fields of the Lord". I have seen it on TV some two months ago and I was drawn in with a force which astonished me. It was late in the night and still I could not stop to look at it, I simply had to know what happened to al these people!
I recorded it and since I have seen it twice or thrice already. It's definitely one of my favourite films!

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”