What does Halloween mean to you?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In Poland it is a very solemn day. All graves are turned into veritable hils of flowers, mostly chrysanthemums, white, golden, purple, and innumerable candles and lamps are lit around them... It is a season of golden leaves and white mists, beautiful and melancholy... In the night the cemeteries look like eerie clouds of shimmering little flames, like Dead Marshes "when the candles are lit"... and we are thinking about those who are no more with us...

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's very moving Eryan. I like that thought far more than cardboard skeletons in wondows and fake cobwebs. :D
"May the Angels Guide"

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree, sadness is beautiful, we should not try to be funny and die out of laughter on every possible occasion. Nienna, the Valar Lady eternally mourning for the sorrows of this world, was one of the most important Valar and the teacher of wisdom for Gandalf...

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Halloween actually doesn't mean anything to me, cos over here we normally don't celebrate it and I'm not planning to take over the American habit, as much fun as it can be. Sorry. :smoke:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It used to be a case of making elderberry wine and ginger beer, dunking for apples and hanging giant spiders or paper ghosts in the toilet to scare my auntie. Now it's a case of handing out sweets covered in pepper to all the kids who come banging on my door asking for tricks.

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Means absolutely nothing to me. It just an excuse for rebel rousers to vandalize private and public property resulting in extra tax revenues going to pay the Mounties overtime.
I live too far from the maddening crowd to have trick or treaters knock on my door.
Loved it when I was a kid, however! All that candy, yummmmm!
Unforutunately our society just isn't safe enough anymore for the tradtional Halloween Trick or Treat. :pumpkin:

Eryan, it sounds like a beautiful day of celebration of the life of those loved ones who have completed this earthly journey. I find Poland's Halloween tradition so much more appealing.

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Halloween has meant nothing to me since I was twelve, which was the last time I went Trick or Treating. The neighborhood where my grandmother lives is mobbed by literally hundreds of Trick or Treaters every year and some, as Allyssa said, aren't dressed up and are WAY too old to be Trick or Treating. Not much vandalism as Mischeif Night was banned years ago and police are out in force.

Having said that, the little kids are cute in their little costumes and it's cool how creative some people can be in decorating their homes.

For home decoration, I much prefer Christmas. Some of the houses here are absolutely spectacular! They have to be seen to be believed!
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

hmm Halloween means to me that I get to scare kids half to death, eat lots of candie, and act like i always do but under the guise of being in costume this time.. :P

and im 23!!!!!

last time i actually went trick or treating i was ummm maybe 15! One guy gave me a beer!

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In America we visit the graves on Memorial Day 30 May or there about and some of us remember the saints who have passed-on, on 01 November, "All Saints Day" which sounds more like the Polish Halloween. Our Halloween is the day for the little devils and witches to do their dastardly deeds. Memorial Day was originally set up to honor the fallen in war while Veteran's Day (old Armistice day 11 November) was to honor the living veterans; however, these last two days have become vary confused and I'm not sure if the VFW and American Legion know the difference between them anymore. :elfconfused:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”