Good fantasy books

grondmaster

Good fantasy books

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i heard 'The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy' or something or other by someone or other was good, except i can't remember the name...and have been meaning to check that book out for a while now.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a five volume trillogy written by the late Douglas Adams. It is hilarious Sci-Fi, while Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series is hilarious fantasy.
'Share and enjoy'

Awedan

Good fantasy books

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks all

Ross

Good fantasy books

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is Quite good.
Terry Pratchet's Discworld series is brilliant and a new one has just come out wahey!
Sod off I'm busy!

TomBombadillo

Good fantasy books

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah Discworld is great! It's absolutely hilarious! :funnylaugh:

And I don't know if anybody has mentioned them, but from what I've heard, the books from a certain JRR Tolkien must be very good too. :P:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Azadhel

Good fantasy books

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Robert Jordan's saga comes to mind. Also, and with a twist, try reading any Star Wars New Republic books. Specially the ones of the New Jedi Order.
Namärie!Quel marth mellonamin,
Merin sa haryallë alassë!
Namarië!
A.Z.

Awedan

Good fantasy books

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'll be sure to check that out. By the way, how do you put a custom Avatar?

Cirdan

Good fantasy books

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi Awedan, Welcome! I think theres a thread somewhere else on the site talking about this. possibly in one of the taverns.
For now I can recommend the Gormenghast trilogy. Dark and very very funny! Its very well written but be prepared! The final book is not as good as the first 2. Fortunately the first 2 can be read alone. The third is probably best left :orcgin:

rednell

Good fantasy books

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi Awedan,
Welcome to PT. All the information you need can be found under Website Talk/Help/ Information for Newbies Thread. In answer to your question, you can have a custom avatar when you reach the rank of Friend. Ranks are achieved by the number of posts you make in the forum. You will reach the rank of Friend after 50 posts. In the meantime, you can choose an avatar by going into your account and change information. Taz has given us several to choose from.
You will also find a thread in the taverns on good books to read.
I hope you enjoy your stay with us. There is lots to explore. Take time to come into the chatroom to meet some of us.

Rosie

Good fantasy books

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

good fantasy books, eh?
i always like Ursula LeGuin and Kurt Vonnegut- but i guess they are more Sci-fi than fantasy. but the line between the two genres have become rather blurred, hasn't it?

ooh Arthur C Clarke is great, especially 'The City and the Stars' or something...
if you are looking for more 'trashy-second-hand-book-store' type sci fi, i suppose Anne McCaffrey is good, but really for extremely light reading- when you don't want to use those little gray cells at all.
i heard 'The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy' or something or other by someone or other was good, except i can't remember the name...and have been meaning to check that book out for a while now.
oh and Terry Pratchett seems to be awfully popuplar too. hths!

Rosie

Good fantasy books

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

forgot to add David Eddings- same category as Anne McCaffrey...
i used to be hooked on his books- finished two 'sagas' from his collection- that would be like 10 books, plus other little 'biography' type stuff of each character...ah, good ol' days...
but that was about 3 years ago, and i would like to put that part of my life behind me now, and move on with my new found fascination for D. H. Lawrence. :smoke:

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”