Qusetions: pre-FOTR and LOTR

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I was just upset at the lack of Barrow-downs, oh well. Love it now though, honest....

Oh and as to Red Sonya, wahey, I loved that Movie, though not for the plot....
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well,add from me Merlin,the 13thy warrior(though that's not xactly fantasy)and jurassic park.And to the books 'The Last Unicorn'by P.Beagle and Neverending story

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Before discovering LotR I used to half-heartedly read horror stories or sci-fi. I cannot really remember having any particular favourite postAuthorID... unless, maybe, James Herbert.

I've always been a movie fan though. Fantasy films that I liked were Willow, Warlock, the Conan films, Hawk the Slayer, Beastmaster, Dragonslayer, Dragonheart and Highlander. I also love films like Excalibur, Rob Roy, Braveheart and The Last of the Mohicans.

I think that I've said in another thread, though, that I had been waiting twenty years for someone to do a good version of LotR. I came out from seeing it feeling as though I had just achieved one of my ambitions in life.

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

When I was a kid, THE movie was Star Wars. We were spellbound by the story and dazzled by the special effects. Seems kind of silly now, doesn't it? I can remember playing at being Princess Liea and now my daughter is playing at being Arwen (seriously cute).

I loved Willow too, and not just because of Val Kilmer ;). Labyrinth kind of freaked me out a bit. David Bowie gives me the creeps. Dark Crystal was cool - I like that one very much. I bet a lot of members watch Xena and Hurcules. :D

One of my all time favourite movies is Ladyhawke.

Anyone else seen Clash of the Titans, Red Sonya, Dragonslayer, The Neverending Story, The Black Cauldron, or Highlander (just to name a few)?
"May the Angels Guide"

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Difficult question for me, because I think Tolkien was the very first real fantasy writer of whom I ever read a book. :D As for films, I don't think fantasy was really my thing (or so I thought) before I discovered Tolkien. So, to be honest, I don't know any fantasy film I saw before I went to see FOTR. Maybe if you shoot some titles at my head, I might recognize one or two, but then maybe not... :orchuh:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Wow, a lot of questions:
Lady Hawke has got to be one of my all time favorites. I also love Willow, Dark Crystal, Legend, Highlander (all of them), Dragonslayer, DragonHeart(love this one too), but didn't like the sequel much, Neverending Story was an all time favorite in our household. Had some great family and friends movie nights with Neverending Story!
I didn't particularly like Disney's The Black Caldron because it did not fit how I imagine Lloyd Alexander's creation.

As for books, I couldn't begin to list them all! Probably the first after Tolkien was Terry Brooks because it was so much like LOTR. Then I read Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles ( from which Disney did The Black Caldron). Which was followed by Eddings, Jordan, Norton, Zimmerman-Bradley, and numerous others I can't think of at the moment. One of my favorite series was Elizabeth Lynn's Watch Tower.

Tolkien Artists: Ted Naismith, Alan Lee, John Howe, Carol Emery Phenix. Tolkien was a very talented artist himself. I love his polar bear and penquin Christmas letters. His Numerorean rugs are stunning. I really recommend the book J R R Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator. You will be amazed. :smoke:

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hmmm. I must admit that my first memory of fantasy is seeing the Animated version of The Hobbit. As lacking as it may be, it will always have a fond place in my heart.

After that, Star Wars 4, 5 & 6 were a big influence. I didn't read a lot as a kid but saw a lot of films. The Dark Crystal, Excalibur, Labyrinth, Legend, The Last Unicorn, The Flight of Dragons, The Princess Bride and Errol Flynn's Robin Hood all infulenced my youthful appeals. I recently developed a keen love of Babylon 5.

Oh, yeah... I did read one thing as a kid and still do... Mythology. I love it! All kinds. I started with Greek myth and the stories of King Arthur, went into Norse, then Egyptian, Celtic, Native American, Finnish and smatterings of others. Joseph Campell became a big influence. I think that's why LOTR appeals so to me. It has awesome and finely crafted mythic elements. :D

Later, I started to read a lot more and I found a Keen interest in Role Playing Games: D&D, Call of Cthulhu, ShadowRun (Which it great Sci-Fantasy). I didn't actually read LOTR til I was 21 or so. But I have made up for it since then. LOTR is my most favorite. Before that there was Zelazny's Chonicles of Amber (Awesome stuff in it, too), HP Lovecraft, Frank Herbert's Dune and stuff by Heinlein. Robert Jordan came after LOTR but it's pretty good... if it ever gets to the end. :sad: Some of the Star Wars books are good reads particularly by Zahn and Anderson. As are some the Shadowrun novels particularly by Stackpole, Koke, and Findley.
Glor... fin... el? Darn... Well, I can accept my flaw with spell check, now... But whacking orcs still makes me feel good! BAM! BAM! BAMBAMBAM!!! Yeah... Take that, Orc-face.

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I watched the animated versions of the Hobbit and FOTR, I also watched Dragonheart, Joan of Arc,The Princess Bride and a lot of the Errol Flynn movies.
I will never raise the white flag.

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I forgot all about Star Wars and the Never-ending story! I still am a fan of the original Star Wars movies (I think the new versions are are all show and no story... and no character development... and Darth's a chubby little sap with a bowl cut... and *shudder* Jar Jar Binks...)

Its good to hear that some of you guys have broadened your horizons after reading LOTR and are now reading more of the fantasy genre... That reminds me - I have another question for those who can be bothered (just be selective about what you want to answer... I did put quite a few questions up)

Why do you like the fantasy genre:

I have always had an overactive imagination, and when I was younger I woulden't just pretend to be someone, I'd actually be them. I would get totally and completely immersed in this world in my head and just wonder around for hours around our house and, literally, be completely' out of it'. I was like this zombie walking around and living this world in my head. I made up a character and it would go from there... Seriously though - I would be another person. If something sad happened in the story I was creating then I would actually cry for that character because I practically felt what they would feel. *yeah... I was pretty freaky*
I have never been satisfied with the world we live in now, and I wished that it was like the world that I invented from my imagination. I guess I love fantasy so much because it lets me escape the real world, and I can go back to the world/s I lived in when I was little... Plus I excersise my imagination in other ways then walking aimlessly around the house... *Ahem. Yes... I know. Pretty scary*

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”