The USA

ProgHead777

The USA

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm betting that there are as many answers to that question as there are people on Earth. I think I know where your coming from with that question and I can realate completely. But if there's one thing I've learned lately from the good people that populate this site, it's that when people criticize America they usually mean the government and not it's people. America is highly visible in todays world and, as everyone knows, it's always the faults and never the virtues that get all the media coverage.

I recently saw a photo from an anit-war rally in the UK. Several people were holding American flags with swastikas superimposed over the stars. You have to wonder what makes people feel that way. Some think that we should revert to pre-WWII isolationism. Perhaps we would be better off if we minded our own business...
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

The USA

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

So you come off to many as being too arrogant and that can be offensive.
This one tries very hard not to be. :elfwink:

The council will be monitoring this thread carefully so be gentle with your criticism, no baiting with hot button issues; such as: "I often think that we no longer have a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, but that we now have the best government that the multi-national corporations and their lapdog media can buy." :elfbiggrin: :elfroleeyes: :verysad:
'Share and enjoy'

MelliotSandybanks

The USA

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well. I try not to be too arrogant either. Personally, I like the way Ringfacwen, worded the relply. It was considerate of Americans feelings and not in the least offensive. I know us Americans can be offensive to others, but some of us really do try not to be.

Amarië

The USA

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think because the USA is so big and powerfull and has so much to say in the world, all their thoughts and actions and plans get magnified. They get more meaning and bigger consequenses. It's a big responcebility. It is easy to dislike and maybe envy the USA, but I believe we'd have a problem with any country of that sice and influence no matter who they were. It's just they way we humans are.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

TomBombadillo

The USA

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I must agree with all the above. Here on the continent, the US has the image of the all-powerful police over the world. Something like that. But it's the US government, like Prog said, we look at. Not the people. I mean, what the government does or says is not always what the majority of the population does or says. I think too that the US goverment tends to butt in (like Ringfacwen said) a bit too often, but that's what America's like. They've always done that ever since they grew big and powerful, and I guess they will go on doing it.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

ProgHead777

The USA

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I hope I've never come off as arrogant because I'm really not. Indeed, I once made the argument that America is NOT "better". When I look at, for instance, Canada, I see a sister nation to the US. Our people are not so different. Like Ringfacwen said, some of us make fun of each other but I think no real harm is intended... like siblings.

Remember that the vast majority of Americans are decended from imigrants from other countries. We are proud of that heritage and are in no position to look down on anyone. Ask your average American "What do you think about (insert your nations name here)?" and the answer your likely to receive is "oh, I've always wanted to go there!" or "Oh, that's such a beautiful country!" Our governments may do and say as they please (with or without our consent) but we, the people should have no quarrels.

Love, peace and hair grease my friends :funnylaugh:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

Stonehelm

The USA

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree, we can be very arrogant(and rude) :D and I don't think Ringfacwen was in the least offensive. I just wonder why some people(not PT people) spend so much time bashing us, if they were in trouble, we would be the ones they ran to. The Americans,British and Canadians have always been friends, our soldiers have bled with each other in trenches and it just makes me sad when some act like they would be better off if we weren't here.

Even our own media likes to spend more time on the "looks like the US made another mistake" trail, so it's not just other countrys.

We love you to Ringfacwen!

My whole point. We are friends and allies, and always will be. Lets stop trying to insult each other and find more ways to get along.

Have a great day everyone!!! :D (where ever you are from!!) ;) nn[Edited on 1/12/2002 by Stonehelm]
I will never raise the white flag.

Return to “The Forsaken Inn”