About your town

maydmarion

About your town

Post#1 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:20 am

I thought it would be nice to learn about other PT member’s towns.

Here’s mine

Chelmsford, Essex in the UK. About 30 miles southeast from London (about 40 mins on the train to Liverpool Street).

We have a Cathedral but we are not a city although we have all the points. The council are trying for city status.

Writtle Agriculture College has a worldwide population of students (my youngest daughter will be going in October to do a degree in Environmental Conservation)

The other Uni also has a worldwide population of students.

There was a TV comedy show called Chelmsford 123 shown on BBC. It depicted the Romans and Chelmsfordian interaction and starred Rory McGrath. It was quite funny.

Chelmsford was originally a Roman Town called Caesaromagus. Ruins have been found and apparently it would have taken about 5 min to walk from one end of the town to the other – we are a bit bigger now!!!

We are about 30 miles from Colchester another major Roman town.

The two rivers we have are called River Chelmer and River Blackwater. The Blackwater runs to Maldon-on-the-Mud, which is famous for its salt.

It’s a nice town but definitely not a holiday resort, but it's my home

Famous people around Essex
Boudica (Queen of the Iceni), Thomas Hooker (puritan who went to the US), Matthew Hopkin (witchfinder general), William Penn (Quaker went to US), Dick Turpin (Highwayman), to name a few.

If you would like to know more go to www.thisisessex.co.uk

Looking forward to reading about your town
:wavehello:

Vee

About your town

Post#2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 am

Awwwwww Maydmarion, you have made me feel homesick for my native Essex... I love Chelmsford and the surrounding areas although I hail from Rochford on the Southend side of Essex. My daughter did an Environmental Conservation and something-or-other as her Master's Degree at Bristol and she loved it so much she is now an Environmental Officer somewhere in North Somerset.

I shall be back in Essex tomorrow for the day but Southend, not Chelmsford.

I could tell you all about my current hometown of Bracknell but I'll wait until I have something positive to say about it. Hehehehehe.... (actually, it is not as bad as you might think but I miss the sea.)

eruwen

About your town

Post#3 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:02 am

San Francisco...where do I begin? We are on the coast of the US, right on the Pacific Ocean (which is freezing!). We have two beautiful bridges leading into the city -- The Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge. I have to cross the Bay Bridge everyday to get into the city, pay $3, and it takes FOREVER! Traffic in our town is horrible. Sometimes I will take the train into the city, known as BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), which travels beneath the water, and for this I have to pay $4.85 each way...but I get tons of reading done this way.

San Francisco is a place that embraces diversity and culture like no place I have ever been. If I take public transport in the city, I can find myself surrounded by 15 different ethnic groups or more, or people who embrace all aspects of their sexuality, and everyone walks around like all of this is normal. I love it! The people I work with may have 20 different piercings, tattoos on every part of their body, and be embraced as genuises by those around them without judgment. Just to give you an idea of the diversity here -- my immediate colleagues are from the Philippines, Vietnam, Chile, China and Japan.

As for the weather in San Francisco, it's very strange. The fog settles right into the city, especially during the summer, so our summers feel like winter. The best time to visit SF is in September...beautiful weather! I live across the bridge where the temperature can reach upwards of 100 degrees, but I have to dress for 60 degree weather before I head off to work. You can walk one city block and have a 20 degree difference just within the city itself.

If you want to visit SF, you will have plenty to see and do -- check out places like Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park, North Beach, Napa Valley. And we are close to natural wonders such as Yosemite, Muir Woods, King's Canyon, Lake Tahoe, Big Sur...oh, too much to name!

anneli

About your town

Post#4 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:02 am

Well..let's see...I was born in the San Francisco/Bay Area...but have since moved up to the foothills in Northern California to a small town called Diamond Springs. It is very green and was once peaceful here...but now it is becoming very busy. Population here is about 1500...but I am very close to a town called Placerville (Old Hangtown) and it is a tourist town. We have many antique shops and many bead shops also (I make beads and jewelry - my hobby).

Gold was discovered nearby here (Coloma) way back in the 1850's by a fellow named James Marshall. So we have tons of tourists. On top of that, I am only about 40 miles from Lake Tahoe....it is a beautiful lake and resort area. Mainly it is know for it's skiing and snowboarding in the winter months and boating in the summertime. I suppose it's mostly known by all as a gambling town. It is right on the border of California and Nevada. Gambling is allowed in Nevada...so many Californias end up in Lake Tahoe for the weekend.

I have been here about 15 years...but I dearly miss the Bay Area and visit it frequently as I have family and friends still there (about 140 miles away). Plus I am a BIG baseball fan and we have 2 great teams there.

My desire is to travel in my future. I have only been to a few states here in the U.S. (Oregon, Nevada, Washington and Idaho)...and this summer I'm heading down to the soutwest (Arizona, Colorado & New Mexico)...but my hearts desire is to buy a motorhome and go everywhere!

valedhelgwath

About your town

Post#5 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:15 pm

What can I say about Sutton Bridge, apart from I've lived here for a year and a half and our boats are moored here? I haven't even been out in the place yet, it's so dead....

So I'll say something about Boston, which is the town I've spent most of my life in. It's 24 miles from Sutton Bridge, and like most places in Lincolnshire, surrounded by cabbage fields. It's close to the coast, but rather than being a seaside resort with sandy beaches, it backs onto the marshes of the Wash (where I work).

In the middle ages, Boston was the second largest port on the East coast after London, most of its trade being wool. Prior to this the Romans used Boston as a port to carry grain as far as Yorkshire. It was the Romans who initiated the draining of the Fens upon which Boston is built. From the riches the wool trade brought to Boston, the town was able to build the tallest church in England, Boston Stump. I believe that only Liverpool cathedral is taller. As well as financing the building of the church, thousands of bales of wool also acted as foundations for the church, preventing them sinking into the marsh.

We've a special relationship with our cousins across the Atlantic too. The Mayflower sailed from Boston carrying the Pilgrim Fathers, after they were imprisoned in the local Guildhall dungeons. I think, to be honest, the town possibly went downhill from there on as there's not a lot going on there now days.

eruwen

About your town

Post#6 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:35 pm

Anneli said:
but I am very close to a town called Placerville (Old Hangtown) and it is a tourist town.

I love the area you live in, Anneli. It's a very beautiful place. I love to go river-rafting up there! Amazing! Oh, and welcome to PT :).

adreia

About your town

Post#7 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:42 pm

Catskill, NY...the home to Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. This is a wonderful community, and much better than many I have seen (I don't travel much, though.). The nearby mountains are a spectacle many come and see from the city. Lucky Catskillians (native name), we see that spectacular sight 24/7.
Catskill is located about 40 miles south of Albany, and is a great community to visit.

anneli

About your town

Post#8 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:03 pm

I love the area you live in, Anneli. It's a very beautiful place. I love to go river-rafting up there! Amazing!

Yes..it is a nice area...small world! Oh, and thanks for the welcome :)

(Grondy merely enabled the quote.)

maydmarion

About your town

Post#9 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:49 am

Please - I'd like to hear about other towns as I know I'll probably never visit them. It was great to read about the towns above. Would love to hear and know a bit about Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India oh the list is never ending. You all live in such cool places :cool:

Looking forward to some more reads. :read:

galadriel.

About your town

Post#10 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 pm

I live in Tbilisi. It is the capital of Georgia, I don't think you know about it...
I think there is nothing interesting about it... only the most amazing thing is that it is very very old _ it was founded in the fifth century...

Return to “The Golden Perch”