Music

ProgHead777

Music

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Finally got my hands on some Apocalyptica, Plastic. It's great though some parts translate better than others. The violin solo on "One" is incredible. Sounds almost just like the guitar version, but without any string bends.

What does everyone think of The White Stripes? My 14 year old cousin just recently turned me on to them. I'm not really into the popular and semi popular bands these days but I must say I really like The White Stripes. Though it's just guitar and drums with a little keyboard here and there, they reminds me a lot of Led Zeppelin. :cool:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

Music

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You made the move 'jes fine' Val. :) Now you know why I seldom move posts, and always wish I would have made the move sooner. :blues: Usually I just hope that tangents, if left alone, will be short lived, and will come back on topic without intervention by the 'Thought Police'. :police: :D

I don't know Prog Rock, but remember first hearing "Rock Around the Clock" in the summer of '54. Bill Haley and The Comets were the biggies when I started rocking. I grew up on Buddy Holly, Little Richard, and The Big Bopper. The Beatles and Eddie Van Halen later made fine music. My taste is now more attuned to the 250 year old then pop music of Vivaldi and JS Bach. :lookar:
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Music

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey Grondy, pleased to see that someone besides myself likes classical music :D I love The Four Seasons. I enjoy everything from Wagner to Mozart, although more Wagner than Mozart - I like dramatic music.

I think Classical Music suggests images to the imagination much more powerfully than modern music. If provides excellent mood inspiration for writing. :D
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

Music

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

On 13/7/02 Grondmaster posted
The last part of this thread ought to be moved to a Tavern under a new topic called PROG ROCK in case Val wants to try his hand at moving it. (Val: one of my paragraphs in today's Council topic tells how I would do it.)

Okay, job done. Hope that's okay, Grondy.
Phew, that took some doing. I feel like Aule must have felt after building a mountain... Pauses to wipe away sweat... Now to delete the originals from the other thread. Hope I don't do a Melkor and bring the whole site down :shocked:

ProgHead777

Music

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:D Cool! One of the things I like about Prog Rock is that a great deal of it is inspired by classical and folk music. Combining the drama of classical with the raw power of rock and metal, need I say more? That's part of the reason that Prog has fallen out of the mainstream, so few people these days really "get" classical music, and the bizarre things that can happen when you combine it with rock styles send most people running for the hills. There's an Italian(?) Progressive Metal band called Rhapsody that can best be described as a cross between Handel and Metallica ( yes, you read it right) and it's absolutely WONDERFUL! Of course, that's just my opinion, but it's probably not what you think. I would say they are more Handel than Metallica. Dream Theater also come to mind. Their album "Scenes From A Memory" is about as epic as you get, as concept albums go, and it's VERY heavily influenced by classical music. Their pianist/keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, is like Franz Liszt reincarnated, and the guitarist, John Petrucci, puts Van Halen and Malmsteen to shame.

As far as pure Classical, I love Liszt's 'Hungarian Rhapsody', Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata', 'Ode to Joy' and, of course, Symphony No. 5, some Mozart, Paganini (which is definitely an acquired taste), Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Flight of the Bumblebee', Holst's "Planet Suite" especially 'Mars' and 'Uranus', and if you love classical then you have to love Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons". There are tons more but I think you get the picture. I could ramble on like this forever! :disturbed:

PlasticSquirrel

Music

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good crossovers you might like would be....

ELPs Pictures at an Exhibition (I also have the london symphony orchestras recording, and it's a toss up betwenn the two)
and, Apocalyptica, who are a string group (you know, violins and cellos etc. who have covered the entire Metallica back catalogue, you have to hear this, it's fantastic)
As to Floyd, Syd Barret was god, and they never really recovered, Piper is their definitive perfect album.

And yeah, it's probably my fault Val, sorry...
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

ProgHead777

Music

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have Emerson Lake and Palmers 'Pictures at an Exhibition' and it IS stunning how well they've translated it to a rock piece. I'm definitely gonna look into Apocalyptica. Sounds like it's right up my alley!

Have you heard Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin? I know, symphonic tribute albums are usually lame but this one is different. It was scored and arranged by Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke and is done with utmost respect for the original material. A full symphony orchestra tearing through 'When the Levee Breaks' has to be heard to be believed and 'Stairway to Heaven' is second only to the original IMNSHO. If you like Led Zep and you like orchestral music, you HAVE to get this.

PlasticSquirrel

Music

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You're right, I think I do have to get that.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

valedhelgwath

Music

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Another good Classical/Rock crossover is, "The fall of the House of Usher" by the Alan Parsons Project, on the album Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe. It begins purely classical, and ends as a rock piece, but the cross over point (including a fantastic thunder storm) is one of my favourite pieces of music.

Incidently, for any of you who know the piece... I once read somewhere that the band spent all day searching through BBC recordings of storms but failed to find quite what they were looking for. On leaving the studio, however, they found a storm to be going on, which they recorded.

As to Floyd, Syd Barret was god, and they never really recovered, Piper is their definitive perfect album.
Unsure whether to agree with you or not on that one, Plastic. They were different. Syd was a genius, but I don't think Floyd would have made DSOTM, WYWH or the Wall if they hadn't got rid of him. Mind you, they would probably have made the best album of all time instead, that we have all been deprived of.

ProgHead777

Music

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I must admit, something about Syd Barret era Floyd gives me the heebee jeebeez. Is Syd still alive? Someone told me he was in the loony bin...

I have The Eye In The Sky by The Alan Parsons Project...It's ok...a little soft-rockish for my tastes but I still find myself popping it in the player for a spin once in a while...

Does anyone like Kansas? Very under appreciated prog band... most people only know a couple of their songs (Carry On Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind) which is a shame 'cause it's not representative of most of their work.

Return to “The Golden Perch”