Fav Non-Tolkien Books

valedhelgwath

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Kathrine Kerr's Deverry series, but I'm unsure which one specifically. Failing that, perhaps Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist.

LadyRanger

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Some of my faves are Mario Puzo's The Godfather and The Sicilian. I also like Alex Haley's Roots, and O.R Melling's The Druid's Tune. W.P Kinsella's Dance Me Outside. I have some more faves but just can't remember them.

I have never picked up a Stephen King book yet, I don't have the courage too, I am a scaredy-cat--lol.
~~L@dyR@nger~~

Aulë

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I´ll just say two things: DAVID EDDINGS!!!

The Belgariad and The Mallorean was really great!!!
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Sheryl

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I know I`m a bit young to have read these books but I`ve read them and they are very moving, well so moving, they made me cry. They are autobiographys. A child called 'IT', The lost boy and A man named 'Dave'.

They are about what he went through as a child and it`s sooooo upsetting. The library even asked if I had permission to read these books bc they were so horrific, well to me they are. Dave Pelzer could have died bc of what he went through...but he didn`t, he fought for his life.

I can`t say anymore bc this is a family site and therefore only for the older people.
I love you! I love you!
I must say it with all my heart!
I love you! I love you!
I wish we weren`t apart!
You know who I am
I know who you r
I have told u this sweet sumthin
even tho u r afar!

Findekano

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mario Puzo 'The Godfather'
George Orwell '1984,' and 'Animal Farm'
Margaret Atwood 'The Handmaids Tale'

I ahve read a few Stephen King books, 'It' scared the gell out of me when I was 12 four years back, 'The Stand' is a good book and 'Needful Things' average.

Non-fiction: 'The Wariors Honour' by Micheal Ignatieef (Though it is spelled, 'honor' in the Americanized spelling.)
'World Sociology' (O.K it is a text book, bit it rocks!)
And I also want to read 'Stupid White Men' by Micheal Moore, even though it is a piece of rather heated poltical spin, it is quite interesting (or seems) and also Marx and Engels rather old Communist Manifesto which will be a interesting read, I think.

LadyElanor

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I enjoyed reading C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and his Chronicles of Narnia--the latter being one of the finest works for children that I have ever read.I don't know if any of you have heard of Cecil Bodker's "Silas and the Black Mare" but it is an EXCELLENT kids book,I'll never forget it.The "Anne of Green Gables" is worth noting as a fine kid's book that I can still enjoy even after I have worn the book out from re-reading it so many times!
Though it can be a little difficult to comprehend sometimes,Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter" is also a fave of mine.

Gilrhofal

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ray Bradbury wrote a few good ones...The Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Farenheit 451...but I'd say "The Once & Future King" is my favorite :read:

Sheryl

Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like Egyptian books, also, another story I like, well, I`ve only read one passage...I am David. It`s about David and a dog escaping from a refugee camp...very sad, I nearly started crying in class! TOLTAL HUMILIATION!
I love you! I love you!

I must say it with all my heart!

I love you! I love you!

I wish we weren`t apart!

You know who I am

I know who you r

I have told u this sweet sumthin

even tho u r afar!

Return to “The Ivy Bush”