Pour out ur heart and soul here!

valedhelgwath

Post#151 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:13 pm

I have had the pleasure of never having to go through a break-up and I hope it stays that way.

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, Nil.... Or so they say.

A sperm whale got stranded on one of the marshes where I work last week. It survived until the following morning, but when the tide came in its efforts to free itself only drove it futher up the shore. It was quite sad seeing it thrashing about, and then it died on the following low water. Now it's stuck just where I go off to collect my mussel samples. All the creeks are full of decomposing blubber which has begun to stink already. I'm rather hoping it washes back out to sea before the weather gets hot. I'm not looking forward to having to pass 30 tonnes of stinking flesh each week.

That's three whales washed up in the last year in the Wash. We're not supposed to even get them in this neck of the woods. Just another sign of how we're managing to mess up the world I guess.

Vee

Post#152 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:47 pm

I have had the pleasure of never having to go through a break-up and I hope it stays that way.

I am a rock, I am an island.
And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries.

Paul Simon

Sorry for the Whales, Val.

GrevBukMcJern

Post#153 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:58 pm

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, Nil.... Or so they say.
Very true! :thumbup: But there is plenty of time for that..

We're not supposed to even get them in this neck of the woods. Just another sign of how we're managing to mess up the world I guess.
Was there not whales before commercial whaling took off either? Maybe they are just coming home. Or, if their navigationsystem is based on earth magnetism, they'll get worse trouble soon.. (poles are drifting faster +sun is unusually unstable). We (norw.) usually tow the whales out at sea and anchor them. 30 tons of rotting flesh, teaming with birds that then fly off to take a bath in the drinking water supply are not a good neighbour to have...
What are you looking down here for?

Nilgaerien

Post#154 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:53 pm

I'm sorry about the whale, Val. Have a question though - have you ever tried loving and losing? It really hurts...especially when it's no fault of either side! I will admit this: I WOULD do it over again, even with the pain. :orcsad: Vee, was that encouragement or agreement? ;)

Vee

Post#155 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:57 am

No, Nil, it was an expression of how sad it is to never feel love or pain. While I would never wish pain or suffering on anyone, it is part of our growing process that we suffer pain, loss, love... So, unless you are willing to lock yourself away as in the Paul Simon song you are more than likely to go through some sort of breakup/pain/loss. It is better to go through it than to cut yourself off from anything that can cause that pain.

Love is a good thing to experience even if it doesn't last.

lord aelric

Post#156 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:23 am

Wise words... Wise woman.

*clutches his broken heart*

oooh the pain,
To be honest i didnt love this particular girl(care for her, and fancied her, and friends - Yes, but not love!), and i know this b/c i HAVE Loved, Lost, felt the stark vacuum of feeling that results in a break-up, and the pointless, heart-rending nostalgia that only serves to remind you of whats gone.
Ach, whatever... like Vee said but phrased in another way, "you cant fully enjoy the lurve without first knowing the pain (thats the essential difference between an infatuation or crush and true love)- its like Good n Evil, one necessarily follows the other"

But i'm no expert, i'm positively rubbish at relationships - but it dont stop me looking for The One.

valedhelgwath

Post#157 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:36 pm

Have a question though - have you ever tried loving and losing? It really hurts..

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been there... In fact several times. The one thing I have learned though, is as you get older, and become accustomed to the feeling, it gets easier to deal with. I tend to view break-ups as an opportunity to begin afresh with someone else. Life's for living, not for dwelling on what could be, or crying over what once was. Remember the good times, and try to learn from any mistakes, but don't let the past spoil your future.

I don't believe in waiting for that perfect person either. Unless you are really lucky you'll find they don't really exist. There's a lot of people out there who can come close, though, so if at first you don't succeed, just keep trying. If nothing else, it tends to be fun.

GrevBukMcJern

Post#158 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:52 pm

*worships in general assumed direction of Val* Agrees to everything!

My x-girlfriend, the love of my life (this far), fell in love with someone else. Not her fault, emotions can't be commanded. It hurt a lot, but I wouldn't have been without the time we had together for anything! Lots of happy memories! :)
What are you looking down here for?

valedhelgwath

Post#159 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:59 pm

Whoops.... double posting... there again the topics are quite different.

What a week. Last week we had a whale strand itself and die, and now my old research boat has sunk in the night. She was sold to local fishermen a year and a half ago when we bought a new research vessel, but it is still sad to know she's gone down. I have a lot of fond memories of that boat. I can still remember clearly every nook and cranny aboard her, how she smelled and how she sounded. Fortunately the two fishermen got off her okay before she sank, and were rescued shortly after by another boat.

RIP Surveyor :( :(

For those of you are interested, here's a link to her. Surveyor She's the eighth thumbnail down on the left hand side.

Elfstone

Post#160 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:10 pm

I tend to view break-ups as an opportunity to begin afresh with someone else. Life's for living, not for dwelling on what could be, or crying over what once was. Remember the good times, and try to learn from any mistakes, but don't let the past spoil your future.

Great words of wisdom for all of our younger members out there (and really for all of us, least we forget sometimes)! Couldn't have said it any better myself Val! Sorry to hear about your old boat btw, but my you do truly have the Elven call of the sea!
:elfwink:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Return to “The Ivy Bush”