Trivia from Tolkien's Books

Morambar

Post#201 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:54 am

Try again, Mungo, you're on the right track (though it wasn't named Bob.) But, if it WERE named Bob, of what would Bob be made?

grondmaster

Post#202 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:01 pm

light?
'Share and enjoy'

Morambar

Post#203 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:16 pm

Sorry, Grondy, no. It was a little heavier than that. One more hint before bed, and if no one's gotten it tomorrow AM I'll smugly post the answer, one of the first things I remember reading in LT1: the substance in question was an alloy, it's name an acronym for its components. And I KNOW it can be answered without the need to look it up, 'cos I've known it for 'pert neer twenty years. I just know very little else.... ;-p

Loss

Post#204 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:09 am

The name of the Chain was Angainor and i suppose that it was a material similar Iron as his Iron Crown was made into a collar when he was bound again by Angainor

Morambar

Post#205 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Was going for tilkal which is an anagram of the first letters of tambe, ilse, latùken, kanu, anga and laure (copper, silver, tin, lead, iron and gold. ) You can find the quote of page 100 in my LT1 here:

LT1 on tilkal at TolkienWiki

There's also a note at the bottom of the page saying, "ilsa and laure are the 'magic' names of ordinary telpe and kulu. " How solid this remained I don't know; Laurelin is, of course, Laurelin, but Telperion is Telperion. ;-p

So what do I win? ;-p

Loss

Post#206 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:25 am

you win the privilege of knowing that you know something that no-one else knows, oh and well done for putting the same question in 2 different threads, you're very clever........(English sarcasm :elfbiggrin: )

but i was kinda right when i said Angainor

Morambar

Post#207 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:02 am

Well, it's better than "Bob" anyway. I mainly transferred it because 1) I wanted to use tilkal to start, 'cos I thought everyone would get angainor (I deliberately made the question about it vague so it wouldn't be a gimme) and 2) I realized when the discussion began that, once again, prominent though angainor is, it's never mentioned in TLotR. Of this I am certain, and since it was a Trilogy trivia thread I figured I'd disqualified myself. The whole episode is an interesting example of how different things grab different people; that one's always stuck in my head from the moment I read it, though I'm not sure I could name all the metals... silver, iron, gold, copper, tin... ... ... lead? Well, it's a good example of how much steeper the learning curve is at 31 than at half that, anyway. ;-p

grondmaster

Post#208 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:11 pm

And even steeper at twice that. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Morambar

Post#209 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:22 pm

[spams]I try not to think about that. Sooner or later we all get there, if we're not careful, and I have yet to make it back to school. So I know that WHENEVER I go back it's just getting harder and harder every day I'm delayed.[/spams]

grondmaster

Post#210 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

So someone should give us another Tolkien Trivia Question to work on.
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Ivy Bush”