LOTR Quiz

curufinwe

LOTR Quiz

Post#451 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:15 pm

His name was something like "Saeros", and he was one of the nobles of Doriath who insulted Túrin's mother and people and then later attacked him with a sword and shield. However, Túrin also killed his good friend and faithful companion Beleg strongbow, whom he mistook in the dark of a storm for an orc come to torture him more.

My question is, could anyone in the fellowship use their sword to kill a stationary Shelob in one blow?

Amras

LOTR Quiz

Post#452 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Wow, that is a tough sucker...hmhmh. Aragorn or Gandalf. Wait! Gandalf, he has a elvish blade! Ahaha . My Question, What are Christopher Tolkien's sons names?

curufinwe

LOTR Quiz

Post#453 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 pm

From the Two Towers, chapter 10

But Shelob was not as dragons are, no softer spot had she save only her eyes. Knobbed and pitted with corruption was her age-old hide, but ever thickened from within with layer on layer of evil growth. The blade scored it with a dreadful gash, but those hideous folds could not be pierced by any strength of men, not though Elf or Dwarf should forge the steel or the hand of Beren or of Túrin wield it.

So clearly just having an elven blade won't kill Shelob in one shot. By the way, doesn't Aragorn (and Legolas as well) have an elven blade? Also, Gandalf should qualify as someone possesing only the strength of men (which in my opinon is greater than the strength of elves or dwarves) because of this passage from part four section two: the Istari, from Unfinished Tales.

...but clad in bodies of as of {perhaps a typo on the pdf I'm using because my book is a flight of stairs away} Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth...

So he has a blade made by elves, and the earthly body and thus strength of a human, which means that he cannot pierce those hideous folds.

billin

LOTR Quiz

Post#454 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 pm

But he could kill her if he stabbed him in the eyes

curufinwe

LOTR Quiz

Post#455 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 pm

Indeed! Go ahead and ask the next question.

billin

LOTR Quiz

Post#456 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am

Okay, what is the name of the head uruk-hai that captured merry and pippin?

ammornil

LOTR Quiz

Post#457 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Grishnákh.

Nolwe ar alcar >> Wisdom and Glory! Wisdom is in words, Glory- in deeds.
All of this is personal opinion and understanding. For your own opinion read the books written by J. R. R. Tolkien.

billin

LOTR Quiz

Post#458 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:01 am

Nope, he was an ork of mordor.

billin

LOTR Quiz

Post#459 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:04 am

The head uruk hai was ugluk

Return to “The Ivy Bush”