LOTR Quiz

grondmaster

LOTR Quiz

Post#51 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:32 pm

I did finally find the chain named in my 'Feanor and Gems' covered paperback of The Silmarillion (pg 49 and 303). And 'anga' means 'iron' so there you have it. In addition, the collar they placed around Morgath's neck was iron, as it was fashioned from his iron crown sans the two gems that taken by Eönwë.

I figure all our quizzes are open book, but would rather we refrained from using Google, Foster, or the 'Encl. of Arda' until no one can come up with an answer after a day or two.

By the way, the title of the thread is LOTR Quiz, which should preclude questions from The Silmarillion, but I shan't quibble. :orcgin:

So far I haven't come up with and elf with the same name as one of the two trees, but the trees did go by many names.

'Share and enjoy'

mungo

LOTR Quiz

Post#52 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Righty-O. Now that all of that chain business is cleared up howzabout I toss out a good old fashioned & easy LOTR based question to freshen this up a bit.

How many nights passed between the evening of the attack at weathertop and Frodo's awakening at Rivendel?

mungo

LOTR Quiz

Post#53 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:55 pm

My humble apologies. I didn't mean to tread on your question Morambar. I had actually forgotten about it as it was on the previous page (oops), but I don't think that the trees are mentioned by name in the LOTR books (please correct me if I'm wrong). Also, I can't think of a elf in LOTR whose name is either Telperion or Laurelin? Maybe I'm just fuzzy in the head today.

And, as an aside, your answer to my time question is a little off. At the end of 5 days the group was just getting out of a wide shallow valley that they went into after leaving weathertop and they had a long ways to go yet.

grondmaster

LOTR Quiz

Post#54 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:38 pm

The number 15 comes to mind, though that may be just getting to Rivendell and then we'd need to add on what, maybe three that he was out to lunch, for a total of 18. But I didn't bother to look these up so I'm probably off by a day or two, and he did asks for nights didn't he.
'Share and enjoy'

Morambar

LOTR Quiz

Post#55 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:59 am

My bad; it's been a while since I read the Trilogy, and I probaby need to again. I was thinking in terms of how big a rush Aragorn was in to get them there; "it couldn't have taken TOO long." Oh, well.

No biggy on the question; you're quite right, at least so far as I recall, in that the Two Trees are not mentioned, at least as such, in the Trilogy. But while there was no Elda whose proper name was Telperion, there WAS one who shared Telperions name. That's as good a hint as you could want. ;-p

mungo

LOTR Quiz

Post#56 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:31 pm

Good guess Grondy! 18 is the appropriate number of nights. Seems you have luck as well as vast intellect.

grondmaster

LOTR Quiz

Post#57 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:25 pm

What was it that they couldn't do when Sam said, 'But we can't ..... not without wings.' :question:
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

LOTR Quiz

Post#58 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:46 pm

Hint: Frodo no longer possessed his Mithril coat.
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

LOTR Quiz

Post#59 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:45 pm

I don't remember this from the book, but were we to fire-up our DVD players we might find Gimli in this rediculous situation in PJ's LotR: The Two Towers. Does anyone remember this with or without looking?
'Share and enjoy'

anneli

LOTR Quiz

Post#60 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:53 pm

Running now in fear and a blind dark (Sam had put away the phial again thank goodness). Sam caught my arm. “Don’t run that way Mr. Frodo, there is a sheer drop. Follow me.” He led the way down the road, a swift bend took us out of sight of the tower. We cowered back against the rock. Stopping for the moment to calm our racing breath and hearts. The cliffs around us echoed the yet unanswered shrieks of the terror. We didn’t pause for long. The road swung eastwards again and we were once more exposed.

“This won’t do Sam. We need to get off the road. If we were real orcs we would be running towards the tower, not away from it. The first enemy of any type that we meet will know us for sure.”

“But we can’t, sir, not without wings.”

Is that good enough?

Hmm..now for a question..let me think a sec. Who gets bumped in the head with someone's bow or sword handle (can't remember which now) while preparing to journey to Helm's Deep? Easy one right?

Return to “The Ivy Bush”