'Dreamcatcher' and 'Bag of Bones' movies

crystle caves

Post#1 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:39 pm

Steven King is BOMB!

Rhodry*of*Aberwyn

Post#2 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:58 am

Sorry mate, I have no idea if you mean he's good or bad, but I'd just like to add that as a whole, I find many of his books fantastic. And Bag of Bones is prolly one of the best stories I think I've ever read, besides *wizard and glass* also by Mr King.
Dream catcher on the other hand was a terrible book and a complete waste of time as a movie, like many of his film adaptations, with the exceptions of perhaps The green mile and (Rita hayworth and) the shawshank redemption.
I've been waiting patiently for Bag of bones to come out in the movies and as yet I'm still waiting, Bruce Willis is playing Mike Nonnan, and I think he may also be producing, I really don't know what to expect, but am not getting my hopes up.

virumor

Post#3 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:35 pm

Do you think the Dark Tower series should be made into film, Rho? (not that it is gonna happen as long as Stephen is still alive, but still look what happened with LOTR)

About Bag of Bones, i'm pretty sure they're gonna change the end into a happy end. And put out all the explicit stuff from the books.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

melian

Post#4 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:19 pm

It seems to me that the movie adaptions of Stephan King's books are either really good or kind of bad. I love the Dark Tower Series as much as LOTR and would hate to see it made into a bad film. I think the story can get complex at times and could only be somewhat justified in the form of a miniseries. My hope is that they do not try to make it into a movie. The genius of King lies in his ability to be descriptive, yet also to force his readers to use their imaginations.

virumor

Post#5 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:56 pm

I think the story can get complex at times and could only be somewhat justified in the form of a miniseries. My hope is that they do not try to make it into a movie. The genius of King lies in his ability to be descriptive, yet also to force his readers to use their imaginations

That's exactly what i think, not only about DT but also about LOTR. a miniseries would be perfect for LOTR as well.

but look what happened : they made LOTR into film. And for me, it was crap. It might be different for ppl who haven't read LOTR before the movies. That's always the problem, when someone's favourite book is made into film and one expects something from it.

anyway, the DT is 7 books so i'm pretty sure no director would be willing to try to film that!

Rhodry*of*Aberwyn

Post#6 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:58 pm

You guys will be interested to know that the rights to the first book, The gun slinger, have already been sold, and I heard somewhere on the SK forums I belong to that a very low budget film was made of it, I think it was increadibly bad, and I aggree, the DT series is just far to complex to make a film of, and there are many parts that just wouldn't work, I mean, a giant cyborg bear?, and a talking train?

melian

Post#7 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:04 pm

Unless it had a huge budget for special effects and Clint Eastwood of 30 years ago, I just don't see it working.

Rhodry*of*Aberwyn

Post#8 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:15 pm

I think there is more DT link books than just the talisman, black house and insomnia.
I think many of the others may have already been filmed.
and yes I think The Jack Sawyer books could be made into a good film/s

virumor

Post#9 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:24 pm

Salem's Lot, Eyes of the Dragon, It, Rosie, Hearts in Atlantis are related to DT as well.

Pet Sematary, Misery, the Stand (miniseries), Dolores Claiborne, Thinner, the Dark Zone, the Running Man, the Pupil, the Shining have all been made into film. And i'm probably forgetting some others as well.

virumor

Post#10 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:17 pm

It's just too complex, the story too huge. If a movie was made, they'd had to put out a lot of stuff, which would ultimately result into all die-hard fans being shattered. First of all, they'd have to show the lifestories and backgrounds of Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jake, which is already quite impossible considering the huge amount of material... then also fit in the whole journey and stuff that happened on that journey... then make ppl understand the whole concept of the Dark Tower, the Crimson King, etc. etc. and also the fact that DT is related to other SK books... and that certain elements and themes from other SK books pop up in DT. Heh. I'm not even sure if a miniseries would be able to do this... heh a really long miniseries perhaps.

Of course, i'm already making the mistake that i want a possible DT movies to be quite true to the DT books...

But do you guys agree that the Talisman and/or Black House would be more likely to be put into film? Or Eyes of the dragon, for that matter.

Return to “The Ivy Bush”